UE10 Pro broke. What now?
Mar 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 36
Get them fixed, get a new pair of EU11 Pro, go universal IEM's, ...
So many choices!
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 36
Frankly if your primary source is an unamped iPhone than I would strongly suggest the SE530.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 36
Maybe Livewire if you still want to go custom? I never had them but I have read very good reviews here. Pretty cheap compared to es3x or ue 11.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #20 of 36
I have read several comments about UE's customer service going down hill recently. What did I miss? Used to be such the rock start treatment - is that no longer the case?

I'd first try and see how much it would be to repair them. If you want to stick with the UE type of sound and want a new IEM, the UE11 are killer.

If you want to try a different sound but absolutely incredible...the Westone ES3x.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read several comments about UE's customer service going down hill recently. What did I miss? Used to be such the rock start treatment - is that no longer the case?

I'd first try and see how much it would be to repair them. If you want to stick with the UE type of sound and want a new IEM, the UE11 are killer.

If you want to try a different sound but absolutely incredible...the Westone ES3x.

Got bought by Logitech.
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Westone 3 at all? The cables on the SE530, after coming from the UE-10, will be a nightmare - they're bulky, thick and heavy (having an extension only making matters worse), and MICROPHONICS. Also, lots of people have reported cable problems with the SE530, cables cracking, etc.

This is an exaggeration. The cable has never been micro phonic and I've had mine a long time. The cable has never cracked and it's bulkiness doesn't cause any problems or inconvenience to me. The extension cable is just a bonus. If it's a problem, don't use it. Why would it make a difference?

The 530 has a warm sound with and awesome midrange. The highs are a bit soft for my taste but it is a great IEM. The IE8 is another option that has a lot of good reviews. I'd go with the UE11. Sounds like overall you are not impressed with the UE10s analytical sound.

Why not get the E530 used, save up and then sell them when you get the UE11s?

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 36
I would recommend the C3 from hearyourself.com. For roughly 1/3 of the price of a UE11, you get performance almost on the level (I referred to it as a baby UE11 in another thread, though close cousin might be more accurate . Haven't heard the Westone ES3X yet (sent my impressions in this morning), but based upon the early reviews it appears the ES3X is on the same level as the UE11, so the C3 wouldn't be far behind it either, and it's 1/2 the price.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an exaggeration. The cable has never been micro phonic and I've had mine a long time. The cable has never cracked and it's bulkiness doesn't cause any problems or inconvenience to me. The extension cable is just a bonus. If it's a problem, don't use it. Why would it make a difference?

The 530 has a warm sound with and awesome midrange. The highs are a bit soft for my taste but it is a great IEM. The IE8 is another option that has a lot of good reviews. I'd go with the UE11. Sounds like overall you are not impressed with the UE10s analytical sound.

Why not get the E530 used, save up and then sell them when you get the UE11s?

By extension cable I meant the cable which you MUST connect to the (bulky) Y split. And there have been numerous reports of cable problems with the SE530's - just do a search here on head-fi, and you'll see. I sold mine a month after I bought them - besides, I also found them very tacky looking, the shells looked so cheap for such an expensive IEM.

Oh yes, the SE530 packaging is 5 stars, smart metal box and all the rest of it, very impressive and much smarter than the W3 packaging for sure, but who wants that when what you want is a very well made product that should last for years. I paid £230, and if I could get it new for £150 I would NOT buy it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By extension cable I meant the cable which you MUST connect to the (bulky) Y split. And there have been numerous reports of cable problems with the SE530's - just do a search here on head-fi, and you'll see. I sold mine a month after I bought them - besides, I also found them very tacky looking, the shells looked so cheap for such an expensive IEM.

Oh yes, the SE530 packaging is 5 stars, smart metal box and all the rest of it, very impressive and much smarter than the W3 packaging for sure, but who wants that when what you want is a very well made product that should last for years. I paid £230, and if I could get it new for £150 I would NOT buy it.

how exactly are they tacky, yes the colour is hit or miss and choice would be nice but the shells are extremely well built, no hem lines or seams are tacky ( unlike the sloppy molding spotted on er4's and the like ) and the actual design of the earpeice is top quality and well thought out ( unlike super fi 5/ triple fi 10 ).

im not saying your wrong but i have not seen many complaints about the earpeices themselves being ugly or tacky, and i certainly think they are not tacky compared to other high price offerings.

and about the bulkiness, who honestly gives a $hite, anybody thats put off headphones for having cables too thick and sturdy needs seeing to, i went from the super fi 5 pro to the se530 and the shure cable is so much better, not only does it look and feel stronger but its not actually that heavy, if you use the options available to you ( shirt clip etc. ) the cables are weightless. its your opinion ofcourse but i simply think bashing headphones based on cable extensions and y-splits is bizzare, anybody buying se530 today brand new is likely to get the reformulated cable because these are most likely the ones in circulation so this is not an issue at this point in time.

edit: microphonics are minimal to none on the se530, have you worn many other IEM's at all?? because you should know the se530 manage very well with this compared to many others.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how exactly are they tacky, yes the colour is hit or miss and choice would be nice but the shells are extremely well built, no hem lines or seams are tacky ( unlike the sloppy molding spotted on er4's and the like ) and the actual design of the earpeice is top quality and well thought out ( unlike super fi 5/ triple fi 10 ).

im not saying your wrong but i have not seen many complaints about the earpeices themselves being ugly or tacky, and i certainly think they are not tacky compared to other high price offerings.

and about the bulkiness, who honestly gives a $hite, anybody thats put off headphones for having cables too thick and sturdy needs seeing to, i went from the super fi 5 pro to the se530 and the shure cable is so much better, not only does it look and feel stronger but its not actually that heavy, if you use the options available to you ( shirt clip etc. ) the cables are weightless. its your opinion ofcourse but i simply think bashing headphones based on cable extensions and y-splits is bizzare, anybody buying se530 today brand new is likely to get the reformulated cable because these are most likely the ones in circulation so this is not an issue at this point in time.

edit: microphonics are minimal to none on the se530, have you worn many other IEM's at all?? because you should know the se530 manage very well with this compared to many others.

Never owned the super fi 5 pro, so don't now how good or bad that is - I was comparing the SE530 to the W3, and the fact that the W3 cable was much more similar to the UE-11 cable than the SE530's.

And yes, it's my opinion, you're right, and for me the cable was a BIG let down whereas with the W3 you simply forget the cable's there at all, also very quick and easy to store.

And the shells may be very good as you say - I have my doubts about that - but to me, they look very cheap.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #27 of 36
^ what do you think about the W3 shell? It's plastic too and pretty much the same shape?

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #28 of 36
Yes it's plastic but somehow feels more sturdy/ solid, not shallow; also feels like the paint won't come off like it felt on the 530's - and I think it definitely has a smarter look/ design.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #29 of 36
has there been a lot of them with paint coming off
confused_face(1).gif

Isn't it gun metal compared to W3 which is just black. - I agree about the look. I like black better but wouldn't say the Shures are ugly cuz they are gun metal

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 36
Someone (can't remember where exactly) online did a very thorough review and one thing he was disappointed about was the fact that the paint was starting to come off only after 2 weeks or less. He was impressed about the SQ, but not about the looks and build or the PTH, which is optional as you probably already now.

The W3 is black with a red 3 on it and feels more professionally made - with the SE530 I had a feeling a had a cheap fake which, as you may know, there aren't any around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back