UE Triple.Fi...... what can I get to replace them?
Dec 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stella

New Head-Fier

Hi all!

I loved the triple fi, everything about them suited me!

1. The size and shape of the ear buds
  2. The quality of the sound, both great bass and fantastic details. Not even a headphone geek but I just fell in love with the sound - it opened a new world....
  1. The replaceable cable.

I can't believe they've been discontinued with no successor...The last available ones are totally overpriced here in the UK.

What have others chosen as the replacement when you had to buy another model?

In the £150, $200 price class, I guess. Cheaper if possible!

ps - tried posting in the "triple fi appreciation" thread, but was spammed by an ad that wouldn't let me post...

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Try the For Sale forums here -- Triple Fis show up pretty frequently if you just wait a bit. Should be reasonably priced too.

Also, depends on how you broke it. You can always try to reshell the TF10s too.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Try the For Sale forums here -- Triple Fis show up pretty frequently if you just wait a bit. Should be reasonably priced too.

Also, depends on how you broke it. You can always try to reshell the TF10s too.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it. Not sure I can do it though; I think I need something in the UK or the EU or I'll be hit with import duties, VAT and what not (??)

I don't still have them, I lost them.
But what does "reshelling" mean?

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 14
That's a tough one. I've always found the TF10s to be a great deal in general and there isn't much in their price range that can compete with them... at least at the price I picked them up for last year. I think they were around $160 from amazon in the US. Try looking up some sony mdr EX600's. From what I understand they don't have the exactly the same sound signature and since I've never tried the 600s I can't say for sure,but I have the ex1000s and everything I've read says the 600's are almost as good as their big brother for half the price. So they are on the upper end of your budget, at least here in the US, but I think they may do the trick for you.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks! I looked at them. (sony mdr EX600) But I don't like the shape!
They look like they'll be as hard to fit far into the ear, as Shure 215.
I can't get the Shures to fit at all, so they do not work as noise isolating at all.

The UE Triple fis sealed off the world completely. I just pushed them as far into the ears as they would go and waited for the foam cushion to expand. And the world outside went silent.

A good fit is really important to me and I am beginning to think that my ear canals are abnormal. The Shures are useless for me - I think the angle is totally bizarre and they have a chunky bit that stops me from putting them far into the ear. Only the UE s have worked well so far!

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 14
Haha, you and I seem to be in the same boat. The biggest complaint I hear about the TF10s is that people cant get them in their ears, but I have the same philosophy as you do it seems. Just shove 'em in good and deep and that's the end of it. I personally never had a problem with the sonys but I can see your point. Honestly it sounds like you just want another pair of the frankenstein bolts so I second heroic penguins plan of scouring the for sale forums. Plenty of people bought them so there's a good chance of some coming up for sale sometime in the near future.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the tip! Most of what's on sale here is second hand though, isn't it? I mean used...
So wouldn't it then be likely to be at the end of its life and/or with defects....?

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 14
I don't think so. In fact I think I might prefer one that has been gently used as long as I trusted the person I was buying it from to be kind to their things. For one the burn in period has probably long been passed (if you believe in burn in) so you don't have to worry about sq changing and you can be sure that they are actually functioning properly. Awhile ago I bought some monster turbine pro coppers and right out of the box the right driver was dead. Of course they replaced it but still it was a pain in the rear. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 14
I didn't know that, but I don't like the look of them (seem strangely angled)!
Plus - they are not available in the UK yet... sometime in January apparently (so I take that as March).

Saw the Triple fis for a very good price at Amazon DE. But the seller would only deliver to the German speaking countries. Blah!

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 14
there is only one universal ba-driver based inear with sub bass rumble like tf10: fischer amps FA-3E XB http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=110&thread=13867

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 14
You can get Triple-fi 10 here for $139 refurbs if you're interested.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310526853006?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks!! That would have been £95 which is absolutely fine.... I noticed they were in the UK as well, only you were accessing from the Oz version of eBay.
I missed the auction though because I was offline! Darn!

But I'll look around some more. Beginning to feel like there might be no good replacement for the Triple Fis yet; and I am (deliberately) between jobs so I feel reluctant about splashing out right now, so I can't just go ahead and buy and see how it goes, like I normally would.

I suppose you have the same problem that I would have, with import duties, VAT etc - so that buying from the USA (or anywhere outside of the EU area in my case) means it's a complete hit and miss what costs might be added... Sometimes nothing, sometimes almost 50% more than the total price.
Not to mention the item being stuck in customs while they ponder it. It's a nuisance...

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 14
Oh actually, seems there are more than one in the auction that Hi20Fidelity mentions on Ebay (is he/are you actually the ebay seller?)

Please is there somebody with experience who might be able to give me some advice on what I can expect from "REFURBISHED" triple fis.....?
I would really appreciate advice from somebody knowledgeable without bias.

1. Will they be like new?
  2. Why would they be on sale like this?
  3. Is it likely that there are any hidden defects or problems, or that the sound quality is reduced... if so why? 
  4. If you really liked this model and didn't want to splash out for new (and now overpriced, due to rarity) triple fis, would you buy this model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back