UE TF10 user needs closed can suggestion for office use
Nov 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xandr

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of closed circumaural cans that are comfortable even when wearing them for the better part of a 10 hour shift and have a sound signature that's not too different from my UE TF10.

I will be using them during work - chat-based customer support - where the TF10 are not so helpful since insertion with the comply tips becomes quite tedious if you have to talk to colleagues from time to time.

Source will be a 4th gen iPod nano or probably an iPhone 4. Getting a small headphone amp wouldn't be out of question - I just want to keep it from becoming too expensive. :wink:

Headphones I'm currently looking at are:

- AKG K271 Mk. II
- Audio Technica ATH-M50(S?)
- Ultrasone HFI-780

I'd also have the option to get a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm from a friend. I guess they would actually need an amplifier with them being the 250 Ohm version.

My budget would be at about 200 € for the headphones.

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Nov 16, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 4
I've been trying to find a headphone too that sounds somewhat like the Triple Fi 10 and it's been a bit difficult.

That IEM is my favorite i've ever had and used them as my only IEM/headphone for nearly 3 years straight! I eventually got tired of sticking foam in my ear.

It's my absolute favorite sound signature and to my ears it's not "V" shaped or whatever everyone else says. Never felt the mids were recessed either. I first heard this on this forum and my first thought was "Huh?"

I've found that the SRH-840 was pretty close to my ears. The comply foam I used when the TF10 seemed to tame the highs a bit, making them even more similar to the SRH-840 sound signature. I actually never felt the Triple Fi 10 was really bass heavy, so the SRH-840 seemed to match that well also.

I do think the mids on the SRH-840 are a tad more forward though, but I don't feel like comparing them side by side.

Some people find the SRH-840 comfortable, but it's risky to buy them online due to probably needing to return them. They may have a good fit, but they're quite heavy. My head was too small for them so I had to go with the M50 (which I upgraded to the k240 S, I don't think the M50 sounds anything like the Triple Fi 10 (with the comply foam).

The k271 isn't going to sound like it I think. This is because those are considered to be somewhat bass light. The k240 would be a closer match but those are semi-open and not good for an office.

If the SRH-840 isn't an option, one headphones with a similar signature is the Koss Pro DJ100. The DJ100 also has forward mids like the SRH-840, maybe a tad more bass. The highs roll off maybe a little sooner on the DJ100. k240's sound graph looks almost the same as the SRH-840. It's interesting to compare. DJ100 absolutely must have a decent amp though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back