UE Super fi5 pro is equivalent to what closed headphones?
Sep 21, 2011 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TitoB

New Head-Fier
Hello,

New member but avid forum user before I joined. Thanks to everyone, learned a lot about headphones and portable amps (omg, they can be expensive!) reading threads. 

I'm an IEM user wanting to upgrade? to full-size closed over ear headphones. It will be used for everyday commute on public transportation. I listen to a mix of genres, depending on my mood and time of day. Source is Ipod, can be amp'd with PA2V2 (ordered and waiting) or E7 (still debating) if needed. I'm looking for something that will sound like my current IEMs but preferably better. Around Sen 25 price range and being my max.

I've gone into a store (baybloor in Toronto) to listen to the Sens 25s, hooked to my Ipod but I couldn't hear anything until I cranked my volume close to max. Is that normal? I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I was so thrown off with the volume I couldn't appreciate the headphones. Sales person gave me Denon 1100s to try and I heard things better, only to realize after I left that it was unfair because it was hooked on to an amp instead of straight of an Ipod.

I have a list to try when the pa2v2 checks in based on reviews and price range but if i can narrow down the headphones to a more manageable amount, that are similar to what I already enjoy that would be great.

Any suggestion(s)?

I want to get Grado sr60i and mod it for home use, this new obsession and hobby can get expensive. (sigh)

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 2
Why exactly do you not like the super.fi 5 pros for portable use? I'm assuming they sound similar to the TF10s that I lost.
I've been using my Ultrasone pro 900s (with a short 3.5mm jack cable) for portable use and really miss the extra portability of the IEMS.
It's annoying to carry around full size headphones. Something that fits easily in the pockets or a bag is just so much more convenient.
I think I would put the money into a higher level grado or maybe a sennheiser hd580 or something and stick with the IEMs for on the go use.

Typical commutes have a high level of background noise that really makes you appreciate the sound attenuation of the IEMS.
The pro 900s and many other closed phones have a decent amount of seal and isolation, but iems are really on another level.
Buses, subways, and most other forms of mass transit are very loud and even active noise cancellation wouldn't be out of place on them. The noise will undoubtedly mask a lot of the detail in the music.
I wouldn't put too much money into a set of headphones used primarily for commuting.
IMO this situation is where IEMs are in their own tier and are untouchable.

The pro 900s are somewhat above your price range and not as portable as the hd 25s, but the earcups do fold and go comfortably around the neck.
The ultrasones sound somewhat similar to the TF10 in that they both have ample bass, which helps counter the noise from vehicles, and are not what I would call warm headphones.

I think the PA2V2 should be able to power the hd 25-1s more than adequately, though they are harder to drive than the denons.

If you really want  some closed phones, some other options ~200$ (new) are:
aiaiai, Shure SRH, audio technicas (many models here), v-moda(new ones supposedly pretty good), ultrasone pro 750 or Hfi 580-780, phiaton, beyer(big), and akg(also big).

Some of them have 10 ft cables, which are a literal drag to deal when on the go. Even 5 foot cables are borderline excessive.

You can go used too, and of course prices will be lower by some amount.

Edit: just saw this, might want to inquire about shipping to canada. hd 25-1 for 150 and ah - d2000 for 220 + shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back