UE 900 detail but with more bass
Apr 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:
I believe super expensive cables are a placebo.  They do look super cool though.

Whether or not they are worth it is up to debate.  However, in IEMs, cables have been shown to make differences in sound.  Rin was able to show that 2 different cables produced two different sounds with the 4.Ai

The blue line is the 4.Ai with stock cable.  The grey line is the difference between the stock and Mangus, the pink/purple is the Furutech cable difference from the stock. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of heir 5.0s with the Magnus cable so I can test it out with the cable from my 3.ai.

LOL.  Well, it looks like the Mangus cable will deepen that v a little bit.  But with some positive side effects.  Vocals should, if I'm reading the measurements properly, have a little more energy/sharpness to them.  A little more bass presence looks in store too :p  In other words, it looks like that cable will make the 3.Ai funner (if that's a word :p).

Grey line is the mangus cable.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 24
I returned the UE900 to the Apple Store after a few weeks mostly because of the lack of bass (with the tips I had) and isolation needed in a semi-noisy semi-tractor-trailer environment. I didn't have the right tips and didn't know if I'd fine the right ones. What I liked about the UE900 was its tone color. I don't know if a graph would show that particular quality.

I recently returned the Earsonic SM64 mostly because it sounded a little hollow in the mid vocal range. It's not a deficiency of the SM64, it's simply a consequence of coming from the Shure SE535. I didn't want to take a backwards step on any level whatsoever. The SM64 actually seemed more mid forward (in my setup), but nevertheless appeared to lack midrange body. I don't recall thinking that about the UE900. I remember thinking the UE900 sounded a little thin at first, but was at least warm in the lower mids. The thinnest went away when I removed the recessed adapter plug I was using. It also didn't seem to scale up very much.

I think the process of looking for my sound involves hardware/software (source) as well as the earphone itself (for the right synergy). My next setup has to outperform the T Mo' Galaxy S2/SE535 combo. Two much maligned units that (for me) work well together even though separately, I agree with the critics. The 535 come off as an upside-down U-shaped souuding earphone connected to an Apple source. The Galaxy S2 is a high impedance disaster of a source with most headphones.

I'm not a slave to however the software player is set immediately after downloading it (or the way it comes on the Apple DAP). I believe in finding the right software player and turning up the bass and treble. On my Galaxy S1, I have Voodoo bass turned up to the max in sub-bass mode. Then I turn the software player's bass all the way up as well (Poweramp and Maven). The result is bass on my mid-centric earphones. It's not stupendous bass, but it's bass with good mids (and passable treble). The bass from the Shure E5/ Galaxy S1 combo exceeds any (and everything) I can achieve with my iPod Touch 3G/Sennhieser IE8 combo using whatever software (EQu, Equalizer, Accudio, and the rest). BTW, the best third-party music player for iPhone/iPod/iPads is Bongiovi DPS. But there too, you have to tinker with the settings.

I don't know if it's possible to have it all in spades (bass, mids, treble-- with a wide and deep soundstage--with super separation), but the journey continues.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:
I returned the UE900 to the Apple Store after a few weeks mostly because of the lack of bass (with the tips I had) and isolation needed in a semi-noisy semi-tractor-trailer environment. I didn't have the right tips and didn't know if I'd fine the right ones. What I liked about the UE900 was its tone color. I don't know if a graph would show that particular quality.

I recently returned the Earsonic SM64 mostly because it sounded a little hollow in the mid vocal range. It's not a deficiency of the SM64, it's simply a consequence of coming from the Shure SE535. I didn't want to take a backwards step on any level whatsoever. The SM64 actually seemed more mid forward (in my setup), but nevertheless appeared to lack midrange body. I don't recall thinking that about the UE900. I remember thinking the UE900 sounded a little thin at first, but was at least warm in the lower mids. The thinnest went away when I removed the recessed adapter plug I was using. It also didn't seem to scale up very much.

I think the process of looking for my sound involves hardware/software (source) as well as the earphone itself (for the right synergy). My next setup has to outperform the T Mo' Galaxy S2/SE535 combo. Two much maligned units that (for me) work well together even though separately, I agree with the critics. The 535 come off as an upside-down U-shaped souuding earphone connected to an Apple source. The Galaxy S2 is a high impedance disaster of a source with most headphones.

I'm not a slave to however the software player is set immediately after downloading it (or the way it comes on the Apple DAP). I believe in finding the right software player and turning up the bass and treble. On my Galaxy S1, I have Voodoo bass turned up to the max in sub-bass mode. Then I turn the software player's bass all the way up as well (Poweramp and Maven). The result is bass on my mid-centric earphones. It's not stupendous bass, but it's bass with good mids (and passable treble). The bass from the Shure E5/ Galaxy S1 combo exceeds any (and everything) I can achieve with my iPod Touch 3G/Sennhieser IE8 combo using whatever software (EQu, Equalizer, Accudio, and the rest). BTW, the best third-party music player for iPhone/iPod/iPads is Bongiovi DPS. But there too, you have to tinker with the settings.

I don't know if it's possible to have it all in spades (bass, mids, treble-- with a wide and deep soundstage--with super separation), but the journey continues.

Have you ever tried Neutron Music Player for your Galaxy? I find it amazing. The developer says it's made for audiophiles and has a lot of sound adjustment that will keep you busy for a long time. Really impressive for a cell software. Comparing it to Poweramp the sound is crispy clear... Cheers.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
Have you ever tried Neutron Music Player for your Galaxy? I find it amazing. The developer says it's made for audiophiles and has a lot of sound adjustment that will keep you busy for a long time. Really impressive for a cell software. Comparing it to Poweramp the sound is crispy clear... Cheers.

I've had Neutron since 2011. It's okay on the Galaxy S1 (aided by Voodoo). However, on the Galaxy SII, there is no Voodoo to back it up. Poweramp's Tone-Control (on the SII) provides a bass boost greater than Voodoo on the SI. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #24 of 24
I think if you add AMPs and ALO 18AWG Pure Cryo or CXS cable in chain then any IEMs can sound more fuller with better bass response.

I agree, I have ALO 18AWG Triple Pipe with SR71B and it make overall sound more smoother and improves the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back