UD-10 USB Audio Converter
Feb 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #152 of 240
Onboard sound is inherently flawed due to its proximity to all the electrical currents around it. I know that for the price, the UD-10 is a very good deal. I can't find anything in its price range with similar features.

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #153 of 240
It's still old jittery isochronous USB implementation, right?

On the other side it's just $90, not a stupid part of $1K DAC...

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #154 of 240
Well I just got one of these things in the mail today and am having some issues with it. The build seems great and, if I can get it working, the $125 (includes battery pack, batteries and usb cable) seems fair. It's not cooperating with ASIO4ALL too well though. I use winamp. With winamp not playing, it shows up great and green in ASIO4ALL. As soon as I start playing something in winamp (with an ASIO output plugin enabled or not) I get the beyond logic symbol in ASIO4ALL. As soon as I stop playback on winamp, close the ASIO4ALL window and reopen it, it's back to green again. It's only beyond logic while playing. Anyone have any ideas?

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #157 of 240
Not sure, I think it tries to play everything at cd standard. I noticed the same thingm but regardless of AISO I can't say it dosn't sound good. It may work better with vista as they removed all the kmixer garbage.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #158 of 240
Thanks for the response Nandro. Everything I've tried playing is definitely 44.1 and I have no upsampling or downsampling anywhere in the playback stream. I even tried playing back straight wav files and flac files--all with the same result. Has anyone else out there gotten ASIO4ALL to work with this thing (or USB-ASIO)? If so, is there any trick I'm missing? If the answer is no, I'll just pack this thing up and send it back.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #159 of 240
Just tried installing USB-ASIO and the installation failed. Unless I'm the only one, it appears this thing simply won't work with ASIO. It isn't worth $1 if that's the case, as far as I'm concerned. If I can't figure something out this weekend, it's headed back on Monday.

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #160 of 240
It gets stranger...

I swapped out a coax digital cable for a toslink cable and USB-ASIO installs just fine. Thinking that must have been it, I then tried ASIO4ALL again with no luck yet again. So now I'm sitting here debating whether I want to nearly double the cost of this transport by purchasing the USB-ASIO driver. Can anyone tell me how to access the USB-ASIO control panel? The directions state "Enter the control panel via the button in your application's
ASIO settings" but I see no such button.

I'd love to hear from the other people that own this thing to see how they're handling this.

***EDIT*** One last thing: After reading through this whole thread I see several people that got ASIO4ALL working with this. At first glance, it appeared that I did too. However, have any of you opened up the ASIO4ALL control panel again AFTER you started playing music? Mine appears green and happy initially. If I start playing music and leave the control panel open, it stays green (assume it doesn't auto refresh). But if I close it while playing music, then open it, I get the beyond logic symbol. Can anyone with the UD-10 try this and see if they get different results?

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #161 of 240
Hi Ultraviolet,

I just got my UD-10 & Zhaolu D2.5a today. I'm using my laptop as source. After I installed foobar and Asio4all everything worked just fine. The signal goes from laptop to ud-10 to zhaolu (coax) and then into my pre-amp/power-amp speaker rig.

When I follow the same steps you describe I also get the red Beyond Logic logo, but I still have sound and I can still see everything is running in 44.100hz.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #162 of 240
I figure the UD-10 is upsampling to cd standard thereby creating the beyond logic as asio is supposed to pass it thru exactly the way it is. When the UD-10 changes it, then it fubar's asio.

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #163 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultraviolet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It gets stranger...

I swapped out a coax digital cable for a toslink cable and USB-ASIO installs just fine. Thinking that must have been it, I then tried ASIO4ALL again with no luck yet again. So now I'm sitting here debating whether I want to nearly double the cost of this transport by purchasing the USB-ASIO driver. Can anyone tell me how to access the USB-ASIO control panel? The directions state "Enter the control panel via the button in your application's
ASIO settings" but I see no such button.

I'd love to hear from the other people that own this thing to see how they're handling this.

***EDIT*** One last thing: After reading through this whole thread I see several people that got ASIO4ALL working with this. At first glance, it appeared that I did too. However, have any of you opened up the ASIO4ALL control panel again AFTER you started playing music? Mine appears green and happy initially. If I start playing music and leave the control panel open, it stays green (assume it doesn't auto refresh). But if I close it while playing music, then open it, I get the beyond logic symbol. Can anyone with the UD-10 try this and see if they get different results?

This isn't strange behavior at all - it's supposed to work this way.

The ASIO4ALL front end program is to configure which devices it works with, and the parameters for each before running the applications (foobar, winamp, etc) that will actually use it. After configuring the usb device and disabling others, you should close the ASIO4ALL interface, and start your player (foobar, winamp, etc - with proper asio add-in). As you've seen, if you then try to look at your device with ASIO4ALL, it will show as Beyond Logic, because now your media player has control of the device, which, of course, you want.

So, don't worry, be happy, things are working as they should.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #164 of 240
or just stick with DS since kmixer gets bypassed when using USB devices anyways
rolleyes.gif

bit perfect from DS... interesting eh?
basshead.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #165 of 240
Will I still be able to control the volume of the UD-10 using sounds and audio devices of Windows if ASIO4All is active?

By the way, what are the settings you guys are using with your UD-10?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back