UD-10 USB Audio Converter
May 26, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #226 of 240
I was under the impression that most native USB 1 devices were limited to 16/48 max. The only exception i've heard is the Benchmark DAC1 USB. However, I also have read that with custom drivers it is possible to run them at higher rates. Did you do it using the M-audio driver?

May 27, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #228 of 240
No I do not have the M-Audio driver. My friend Is using that driver with a transport from Empirical audio. The driver was provided by Empirical. He is not using ASIO4ALL but is running ASIO mode. I think he has an early Off ramp.

My system reports the Trend UD-10 as a USB DAC and loaded a generic driver when installed.

When I set Foobar to 96/24 it still runs. CPU usage is up so it looks like foobar is upsampling.

For grins I asked Foobar to go out my dumb sound card Vinyl AC'97 at 92K/24. It went that way and worked. Now we know that can't really be true. I checked CPU usage and it was down. looked about the same as 48K. So it looks like it auto negotiates to what the device can do. No error message.
Buy the way the error message I get with ASIO4ALL selected is "data format not supported" at any width. If I go 92K it complains about frame rate.
So It looks like it can't communicate correctly enough to negotiate a connection but does recognise some of the attributes.
Now with the UD-10 Dac (Burr brown 2702) out there and my trivista out there not sure how you would deal with different capabilites of each. Yet that must work or their would be no reason for the UD-10 to have those outputs and potentially better DAC's at better rates and widths. Seems to be no way to turn off the UD-10 DAC.

All for now. I wsas on too long or day rolled over and I got bumped off. Had to log back in and lost all.

MarkFV

May 28, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #229 of 240
Well I got ASIO4FORALL to work with Foobar 0.9.4.3, the Foobar plugin for ASIO and the UD-10.

You get 32K, 44.1K, 48K by 16 bits. No more no less.

My task bar volume control works for my internal sound card and other computer sources but not my USB to SPDIF path. As I wanted.

I could play a CD via Windows media player to the computer speakers and run Foobar with source file on Hard drive to my USB and main stereo system.
The task bar volume control does not affect that.

I believe that is as good as it gets for the UD-10.

MarkFV

May 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #230 of 240
That is exactly the behavior I get so I think you are all set.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #231 of 240
Well talked to the seller of the UD-10, it goes back.
I needed 96K/24bits for my trivista tube DAC.
Just ordered the M-Audio Audiophile.
96K/24 by 2 channels in or out with SPDIF.
2 in and 2 out at 48K by 24 bits (due to USB 1.1 limits).
Powered by 9VAC. Also has Midi (which I don't need) in fact that's really the intent of most M-audio devices. Yes special drivers.
Found it for $145. I paid $119 plus $19 for the battery for the UD-10 so $138.
For $7 more.....

Seems like a better deal. For Head phone use there is a volume control on the unit.

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #233 of 240
Hi.

I bought the UD-10 two months ago partly on the basis of the information from this thread. Although I'm not a headphone user (sorry) I decided to join this forum and share with you my experiences on the quest to bit perfect transport to an external DAC:

After weeks of fiddling with ASIO, KS plugins etc. and various playback software, I think I finally found an easy way of bypassing the Kmixer. In device manager, simply disable the audio functions of the USB audio device. Also check "do not map through this device". After doing this, by way of experiment, I noticed that the Windows volume control does no longer work. Also, Windows sounds are no longer mixed into my flacs. The UD-10 does no longer exist according to Windows, but my software player (Silverjuke) still plays wonderfully. I don't see a reason why other players should not work, but I still have to test them. In the meantime, I believe that the sound is clearer, with more air. But this could just be a placebo effect.

Can someone confirm that this is a method of bypassing kmixer? I still have a nagging feeling that I now forbid kmixer to use the UD-10, but that it still processes the bits "behind the screens".

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #234 of 240
I just received the Trends UD-10 en it gives me bit-perfect audio indeed very happy with it.

It also works with DD en DTS movies which is perfect too.
(I know this will cause replies, so let's see
wink.gif
)

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #235 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received the Trends UD-10 en it gives me bit-perfect audio indeed very happy with it.

It also works with DD en DTS movies which is perfect too.
(I know this will cause replies, so let's see
wink.gif
)

i couldn't get it to passthrough DD/DTS from movies
eek.gif

though the WAV-DTS trick works perfectly fine (the bitperfect test)

i always switch back to my onboard digital out when watching movies

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #236 of 240
Finally someone replied
smily_headphones1.gif

Well it is fairly easy to do, you only have to install AC3Filter and do the following:

Open AC3Filter config and go to the tab "SPDIF" and see the attached picture what to set.
(The most import one is the "Output SPDIF as PCM")

If it does not work, make sure that AC3Filter is used and not another codec.

Jul 10, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #237 of 240
I just got a UD-10 as well and my setup took less than 10 mins. Plug it in, install ASIO4ALL, grab winamp ASIO plugin for MediaMonkey and I'm off and flying in bit-perfect heaven.

I also tried the headphone out and noticed the same thing as several posters above, it is far quieter than line-level. It also does not sound that great. I would really only use the UD-10 as a USB transport (as I do in my setup), and not as a DAC.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #238 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, web chinese translators leave me more confused than the chinese does...
confused.gif
I think we need a living, breathing, bi-pedal translator...
redface.gif

Someone else posted this, I just happened to remember..

try using BizLingo or Amikai

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #240 of 240
Sorry I might have missed the thread, but is the UD-10 helps in the DAC like Zhaolu, ZERO, others which has CD4398 or AD1852 with jitter reduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back