UC Berkeley mini-meet
May 24, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #31 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
by the way, I am holding ayt999 personally responsible for this

I alone am responsible for your audio nirvana? that is very cool.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
thanks for giving me this great honor.
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, I guess the battery in the grado HPA-1 amp needed some recharging and was the reason why it didn't sound that good. I had a spare and should have changed it (so much for troubleshooting) but since I only had the amp for a day I had no clue what was going on.
tongue.gif
it sounds good now (though not as good as the grace 901 of course).

May 24, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan
I miss Cal. And demoing headphones. Where were you guys when I was still in Berzerkely?

hehe, where was head-fi when I was a freshman and sophmore? been here three years, with the W11JPN from the beginning and the W2002 since 2nd semester of freshman year. any meets in japan planned from say may 27th to june 12th? I'll be in japan then (without any gear other than my portable one, but why not) so maybe we can meet up.

Quote:

Well, eat some Blondie's or Zachary's for me, will ya? I miss having real pizza. West Coast cheesy bread... *gaaaaaahhhhhrghhhh*

sure willl, once I get back to berkeley that is. at home right now.

Quote:

BTW... is that a るろうに けんしん (rurouni kenshin) poster in the back of some of those photos?

ya, those anime posters / hangers / whatever they are are my roommate's stuff. I believe some are those, but I never paid much attention to them. oh, and my roommate and his MDR-Q33 thinks I'm crazy with all my multi-thousand dollar equipment I'm sure. hehe.

May 25, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
The L3000 basically corrected everything wrong with the W2002’s presentation – and it smelled like a Ferrari while doing it (though it’s still an ugly ‘lil b@st@rd, IMO). The stunted attack if the W2002 was corrected and very W1000 in that regard, and the highs and midrange were as beautiful as ever. The L3000 is the best AT can I’ve ever heard, and with better amplification it would really shine.

Drool, I have to hear these cans, I like the W2002 enough that these could be really interesting.

Quote:

A Melos, HP4 or SDS would have altered the essence of time itself, but even without such amplification the PS-1 shined with nearly every configuration I tried.

Yup, that's true, but try it with the Gilmore Balanced and it'll have soundstage too!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #34 of 80
I really enjoyed the RS-1 and HP-1 with the Gilmore V2-SE, and I expect the PS-1 and Gilmore Balanced to have a similar synergy. In fact, Grados have more synergy with Gilmores than with any other solid-state amp I've heard. And gpalmer, I have a feeling the L3000 will sound simply amazing with your modded Sugden Headmaster!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #36 of 80
Quote:

And gpalmer, I have a feeling the L3000 will sound simply amazing with your modded Sugden Headmaster!
smily_headphones1.gif

D'Oh! You just had to say that didn't you!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #37 of 80
look at neilpeart, making us all look bad by actually posting extended reviews on the gear at the meet.
tongue.gif

I feel bad because after hearing the ps-1 I really didn't give any of the other headphones a chance. I did give the leatherhead and w2002 a good long listen, but to me they sounded too much like a more refined a900. I was probably expecting too much. gswpete, it was your friend that had that weird setup right? It sounded really good, very musical. What was all that stuff?

May 26, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #38 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
look at neilpeart, making us all look bad by actually posting extended reviews on the gear at the meet.
tongue.gif

I feel bad because after hearing the ps-1 I really didn't give any of the other headphones a chance. I did give the leatherhead and w2002 a good long listen, but to me they sounded too much like a more refined a900. I was probably expecting too much. gswpete, it was your friend that had that weird setup right? It sounded really good, very musical. What was all that stuff?

Yeah it was part of my friend's setup. Actually it was only half of it as there was no space to bring the transport so he subbed it with the NEC.

Here's a pic of the whole thing.
AA.JPG

May 26, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #39 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
I'll try again

utep10 are you copying the props to the pic and put the "img" "/img" around them ( but where I put " "put a [ ])?

May 26, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #41 of 80
Now that's a lot of high-end loving going on up there. Leatherheads, PS-1, HP-1000, that must have been awesome for doing some listening with the small group of people you had there. That is as long as Neil didn't keep all those cans with him at all times.

May 26, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #42 of 80
I wanted to come to the mini-meet too, but ah well. I'm still dying to hear how the PS-1's sound, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the chance to do so sometime in the near future. I'd especially love to hear how it sounds with my Carlo modded SHA-1.. Man, the PS-1s are so tempting, although $1400 can buy a lot of other things... Sigh.

May 27, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #45 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The "Leatherhead Molestation" pics kill me.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, NeilPeart does some pretty good clowning around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back