Type of Amp for HF2
Aug 6, 2009 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

blargman

100+ Head-Fier
Curious if there's a specific type of amp i need for an hf2. I Just bought one with a pico USB dac only. So I have phones and a dac but no amp!!

Price hasn't been determined yet but thinking between 2-500$ More interested though on learning what kind I need than which specifically. If that makes any sense.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 47
Didn't you just start a thread on a $200 amp for the 650s? Are you looking for something to amp both the 650s and the HF-2s, or are you getting rid of one pair of cans?

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 47
Was gonna get a 650. Got a hf2 instead. lol
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 47
You'll want an amp with a low output impedance. If you want to keep prices low, the best bet is solid state. Most OTL designs don't do well with Grados because their output impedance is too high. If you want tubes, you'll probably have to go with one that has output transformers. Unfortunately, those add significantly to the cost of the amp. Quality output transformers start around $200 and go up from there. If you want a reasonably priced amp with low output impedance, solid state is the way to go.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 47
If you add a Mustang P-51 in between the PICO DAC and the HF2 - you will have a VERY good setup I think. P-51 does really great with Grados and my plan is to use the P-51 when I recieve my HF2.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 47
I just got the New Cute Beyond. Gonna make a listen with the HF-2 soon.
Will do some RMAA measurements to see if the FR stays flat with a 32 Ohm load.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 47
My choice for a portable amp/HF-2 is the Pico amp/dac. If you want a home amp - the king has been EAR HP4.........it seems TTVJ Millett 307A will be supplanting some of those EAR's. I already know someone who had both and returned the EAR, saying that in his opinion the 307A was clearly superior for his Joe Grado.
There is another thought: I've finally gotten around to an ALO Auricap Dock and needed to burn it in.......so, plugged 5.5 iMod into it, then Pico amp, and HF-2 (stock bowls), while I haven't verified my reaction - this setup seems even better.........my Pico dac hangs on back of KICAS Caliente via male/male connectors - prefer that with an oldish pair of RS-1 because of a little bass help.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 47
What sort of impedance am I looking for? Bush guy your talking a whole nother league
wink.gif
Spent 1000$ on my phones / dac. I don't have 6K for an amp . ... yet
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 47
Is there a company that specializes in low impedance amps. Is this even something an amp company would specialize in?
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much any solid state or transformer-coupled tube or hybrid is pretty low impedance. Even certain OTL amps like the Zana are low impedance.

That is not true.
redface.gif
You just check the samson S-amp (SS and 100 Ohm output impedance), Presonuss HP4 (SS and 51 Ohm), Behringer H4700 (SS and 80 Ohm)....

Those are not low impedances. Examples of low impedances are MF V-can, CKKIII, M^3, etc... (They have < 0.5 Ohm) The cute beyond I said (at least the old version appeared with an output impedance of <0.5 Ohm), even if it stated use of headphones from 27 Ohm to 600 Ohm. The new version says you can use HPs from 30 Ohm to 600 Ohm. It doesn't state real output impedance. (And as far as I know, only the op-amps have been changed. Have to open it to see if they have changed the design...)

Even so as I said I will do some measurements with a 32 ohm load on the New cute beyond to see if the FR changes or remains flat.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with something classic, like a Millett Hybrid or a Gilmore Lite. My Minimax sounds great with the HF-2.

x2.

My HF2 sounds great with the MiniMax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back