Type of Amp for HF2
Aug 8, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #31 of 47
Oh, Actullay I don't see a purist on their page. Perhaps they don't seel the purist anymore?

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 47
i like them both as they provide different flavors. but i admit that i do like the mad more when driving the hf2 because tubes do make grado's shine. it's a real nice amp and once you start tube rolling it, it gets even better.
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, Actullay I don't see a purist on their page. Perhaps they don't seel the purist anymore?

scroll down from the main page...the Ear+ HD is the same as the purist.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"once you start tube rolling it" hah, what tubes do you have in yours?

right now...i'm using some Sovtek 12ax7's recommended by sbulack. i think they go with the HF2 quite nicely having a hint of lushness, but not overly warm. the clarity is there.

i don't like using uber warm tubes with the HF2 because the headphone is already warm in nature. so any variety of 12ax7's should go with them quite well.

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #36 of 47
I'll have to look into getting those.

This is what you have?
Ear+ Stereo Headphone Amplifier

I'm confused, it says it has an outputimpedance of 7ohms. Everyone suggest less than 1 for these phones. :\
I'm wondering if I have the wrong amp.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would post my impressions, but i think he did a better job.
wink.gif

Thanks for the quote!
smily_headphones1.gif
Was that from the Ear+ appreciation thread? I think I've only gone through half the pages. lol

Btw, please do post (more of) your impressions! The more the merrier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with something classic, like a Millett Hybrid or a Gilmore Lite. My Minimax sounds great with the HF-2.

nice to hear this...I have a headamp ae-2 and a starving student whiplash amp but would like a whiplash minimax.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by migui912 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quote!
smily_headphones1.gif
Was that from the Ear+ appreciation thread? I think I've only gone through half the pages. lol

Btw, please do post (more of) your impressions! The more the merrier.
smily_headphones1.gif

that was taken from here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...thread-426905/

my HF2 is not quite fully burnt in yet, but i will say that the synergy between the mapletree and the HF2 is definitely there. and i think when you look for an amp, that is the most important part, the synergy. it has probably one of the best, if not the best with Grado's prestige/reference series line (haven't tried GS1000 or PS1000).

the mapletree is also a nice, refined sounding amp. a nice step up from my little dot mkIII. i've also owned the woo audio 6 se for a short while and the mapletree comes pretty close to it in terms of sound refinement, but i didn't feel like the synergy between the Woo and certain Grado models were as good (RS1i in particular), therefore i sold it.

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #42 of 47
I've been using a darkvoice 336i with some nice tube and an old Woo WA1 likewise with good tubes and both sound wonderful with the HF-2
(I also wasn't terribly enamored with the Woo and the RS series but dig it with my black metal 325 and the HF-2)

the darkvoice is probably more authroatative and the woo more organic - each are warmer and work well on that point with the HF-2's laid back yet not warm signature

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that was taken from here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...thread-426905/

my HF2 is not quite fully burnt in yet, but i will say that the synergy between the mapletree and the HF2 is definitely there. and i think when you look for an amp, that is the most important part, the synergy. it has probably one of the best, if not the best with Grado's prestige/reference series line (haven't tried GS1000 or PS1000).

the mapletree is also a nice, refined sounding amp. a nice step up from my little dot mkIII. i've also owned the woo audio 6 se for a short while and the mapletree comes pretty close to it in terms of sound refinement, but i didn't feel like the synergy between the Woo and certain Grado models were as good (RS1i in particular), therefore i sold it.

Thanks! That's nice to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still waiting for both my HF2 and the Ear+ and I just wanted to get as much impressions as possible to get me more excited.
icon10.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Minimax users, which tubes do you prefer with HF2?

Right now I'm listening to the GE 12AE6 that I got from Beezar. These little babies are throwing out some hard hitting bass while still maintaining a decent amount of details in the highs. Needless to say that I'm liking them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back