Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802
Mar 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #257 of 357
Just got my HM-700 today and it does sound good. It showed album art when I first used it but on starting it a second time no artwork is shown, time for a play around the settings. Has a lot of accessories the inclusion of iem's, soft velvet pouch  & armband really do make it worth the money. I have plugged in AKG K545's and Minerva Mi-performer Pro ciem's and it provided both with excellent sound.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #258 of 357
I will need to get a balanced lead for my Unique Melody Miracles as I don't like the usb & balanced plug to headphone adapter as the player is no longer a sleek little thing

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #259 of 357
@modulor - have you initiated the 'new port' request with RockBox?  I have scanned the RockBox Development/New Ports forum and did not see any entries/discussion as of yet.. just curious.  Hopefully with Fang's offer to assist, RB will give serious consideration and priority to this endeavor.  I have been waiting years for the HM-601 port... thanks.  

Have had the HM-700/RE-400 combo for a few weeks, and continue to be impressed.  A RB mod would take it to another level.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #260 of 357
  @modulor - have you initiated the 'new port' request with RockBox?  I have scanned the RockBox Development/New Ports forum and did not see any entries/discussion as of yet.. just curious.  Hopefully with Fang's offer to assist, RB will give serious consideration and priority to this endeavor.  I have been waiting years for the HM-601 port... thanks.  

Have had the HM-700/RE-400 combo for a few weeks, and continue to be impressed.  A RB mod would take it to another level.

I'm still waiting for a reply back from Dr. Fang, as the info he provides will be necessary to start the process.  As I indicated before, it's going to be a while most likely...any priority would be determined by any potential developers actively adopting the task themselves, assuming they have access to a HM700 to develop/test with.  I know the HM-601 port took a long time, so that may be a realistic indicator...also, considering that this player is more 'specialized' than that one could prove more difficult to get the process moving along.  Of course, I'm hoping for the best as well!

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #261 of 357
I have a few 16/44 FLAC files that won't play on the HM-700. It says unsupported file. They were all ripped from CD with EAC and other files ripped the same way are fine. The audio metadata on the files look the same as working tracks. They same files play fine on AK100, X3, DX50 and show 16/44.  Anybody else have this problem?

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #263 of 357
  On my HM-700 I cannot play 24 bit flac, only 16 bit. I can't get any artwork to show, does have to be in any particular form?

Unfortunately, they can play only 16bit ..... artwork is working fine on mine. Just got it for 3 days and I'm totally enjoy this combo as much as I can :D great value for 250$ and you get a DAP + IEM. Only problem is that is have to use the adaptor if I want to plug in my Sr225i, and the adaptor is so thin and unstable .........

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #264 of 357
It works well for me as a more portable alternative to my HM-901.  I already had three HIFIMAN IEMs with balanced cables and I have purchased balanced cables for six of my other IEMs and now I can also use them on-the-go with a small portable player.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #265 of 357
  It works well for me as a more portable alternative to my HM-901.  I already had three HIFIMAN IEMs with balanced cables and I have purchased balanced cables for six of my other IEMs and now I can also use them on-the-go with a small portable player.

which ones? and where you got them?

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #266 of 357
Moon Audio has the HIFIMAN TRRS balanced termination available on all of their IEM Cables. I have purchased balanced cables for FitEar, Shure (MMCX) and 2-pin Westone style. The HIFIMAN IEMs already cabled for balanced are the RE262, RE272, RE400 and RE600.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #267 of 357
Well, it seems my options grow and grow for my next Dap.  I'm fairly sure DX50 is out of the running for me, but there is a certain...  allure that the HM-700 has atm, especially if it achieves rockbox.  Not to mention the included IEM sounds lovely for the price.  From what I'm gathering from this thread it certainly outperforms its $100 standard version, that makes this an even better deal.  Still...  choices choices choices on what my next Dap should be.  I'd like to try something beyond the sansa clips and ipods I'm used to.  Haven't tried anything else really as of yet.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #269 of 357
Can't say I am familiar with Tera, but I did heard both players on different occasion. Personally, I find Tera sounds quite... well, for a lack of a betterword, "off". The bass and treble seem to roll-off very noticeably. Even to my ears that have been accustomed to the slight treble roll-off on HifiMan, I find Tera way off, like listening to a mid-only sound (okay, might not be that extreme, but you get the idea). I'll say it is a love-it-or-hate-it player, and I am probably in the hate-it camp. HM802 on the other hand is great. I'll consider it an upgrade over HM801 - retaining a big portion of the musicality, but more controlled and precise. It sounds just as smooth as Tera, but without any of the weakness.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #270 of 357
  Can't say I am familiar with Tera, but I did heard both players on different occasion. Personally, I find Tera sounds quite... well, for a lack of a betterword, "off". The bass and treble seem to roll-off very noticeably. Even to my ears that have been accustomed to the slight treble roll-off on HifiMan, I find Tera way off, like listening to a mid-only sound (okay, might not be that extreme, but you get the idea). I'll say it is a love-it-or-hate-it player, and I am probably in the hate-it camp. HM802 on the other hand is great. I'll consider it an upgrade over HM801 - retaining a big portion of the musicality, but more controlled and precise. It sounds just as smooth as Tera, but without any of the weakness.

Thanks for the perspective.

Charles own tests show that the Tera rolls off quite a bit in the treble, but not in the bass: http://www.tera-player.com/Tera-Player_RMAA.html  I would say that fits with what I hear: the bass is definitely all there, but there is a lack of the highest treble starting at about 6khz and dropping rapidly over 10kHz, so not a lot of high end sizzle. But that might be part of the Tera's charm in that it smooths out the sound and has such a natural organic feeling. I am sure the frequency drop off is not the only source of its unique sound, and of course it depends on the rest of your system how that all works out. Also, the Tera is notoriously hard to pair with the right headphones, and with a lot of headphones it does have a huge drop in the bass, so that may be what you heard. I use it to feed an iCAN amp which prevents the problems with matching the headphone to the Tera.

I used to have the 801 and enjoyed it a lot, so an upgrade on the 801 is a good recommendation. I may have to give the 802 a try given their 30 day return policy. Which amp card did you hear with the 802?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back