Twister6 Audio REVIEW index - the past, the present, and the future
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #317 of 362
Hi @twister6, how would the Simgot EM3 fare against the Hifi Boy OS V3 (2-pin)?

good question, and I actually got more requests to compare EM3 to other 3way hybrids, so I just updated the review with a comparison to Oriveti New Primacy, Hi-fi Boy OS v3 2pin, and oldy-but-goody DUNU DN-2000J. Just scroll to the end of comparison section of the review to read it.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #318 of 362
Jul 3, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #319 of 362
Hi Twister6,

Hope this finds you well...

Great review for the iBasso IT 04, certainly in line with my thoughts & impressions as I posted in the IT 04 thread.

As always, keep up the good work.

Hope you have a great day !

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #320 of 362
Jul 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #322 of 362
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #323 of 362
Hey @twister6,

I know I've said this many times already...

Keep up the good work !

Look forward to your next review !

By the way, not sure if you tested this, Plenue D can take balanced 3.5 outputing both channels but Plenue R can't, I find it interestingly ridiculous, just goes to show vrms spec doesn't mean much sometimes.
REally not surprised.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #324 of 362
Hi Twister,

What do you think of the Penon GS849 ? :ksc75smile:

I think a lot about it with my Kaiser Encore (universal version).

The very best cable pairing I have experienced with, was the Effect Audio Lionheart.

But, I don't want to put this amount of money (pure nomadism use).

And I've got the feeling that the GS849 is a kind of "Lionheart oriented" cable, sonically. Am I right ?

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #325 of 362
Hi Twister,

What do you think of the Penon GS849 ? :ksc75smile:

I think a lot about it with my Kaiser Encore (universal version).

The very best cable pairing I have experienced with, was the Effect Audio Lionheart.

But, I don't want to put this amount of money (pure nomadism use).

And I've got the feeling that the GS849 is a kind of "Lionheart oriented" cable, sonically. Am I right ?

At some point I will have to update my OS849 review to include info about GS849; I looked at it half a year ago, but never got to a write up. Cables are a controversial topic :wink: but one things for sure, Penon cables do offer a very nice budget-friendly alternative. I just looked into my notes and see that when I compared K10UA with stock SPC vs GS849, the difference in sound was not that significant. Due to low impedance, it will improve the efficiency since you don't have to push volume as high (so, depending on your source, maybe even less distortion). And for sure, GS849 looks a lot nicer than Noble's stock cable :D

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #326 of 362
Hey @twister6,

I know I've said this many times already...

Keep up the good work !

Look forward to your next review !

By the way, not sure if you tested this, Plenue D can take balanced 3.5 outputing both channels but Plenue R can't, I find it interestingly ridiculous, just goes to show vrms spec doesn't mean much sometimes.
REally not surprised.

I never reviewed or tested PD, so can't confirm if it does or doesn't work with a balanced cable. I assume you are referring to Hifiman wired 3.5mm TRRS standard, right? It all depends on the connector and wiring. For example, LPG also accepts 3.5mm TRRS without a problem. But it's only a matter of connector pins and wiring, but if the DAP is not designed (internal amplifier section) to support balanced 3.5mm output - it will not output higher Vrms or higher current just because it's wired balanced. I don't believe PD is designed to have a balanced 3.5mm, but perhaps it's connector is wired to accept 3.5mm TRRS terminated cable which internally gets "converterd" to SE.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #327 of 362
At some point I will have to update my OS849 review to include info about GS849; I looked at it half a year ago, but never got to a write up. Cables are a controversial topic :wink: but one things for sure, Penon cables do offer a very nice budget-friendly alternative. I just looked into my notes and see that when I compared K10UA with stock SPC vs GS849, the difference in sound was not that significant. Due to low impedance, it will improve the efficiency since you don't have to push volume as high (so, depending on your source, maybe even less distortion). And for sure, GS849 looks a lot nicer than Noble's stock cable :D

Ok Thanks :beerchug:

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #328 of 362
I never reviewed or tested PD, so can't confirm if it does or doesn't work with a balanced cable. I assume you are referring to Hifiman wired 3.5mm TRRS standard, right? It all depends on the connector and wiring. For example, LPG also accepts 3.5mm TRRS without a problem. But it's only a matter of connector pins and wiring, but if the DAP is not designed (internal amplifier section) to support balanced 3.5mm output - it will not output higher Vrms or higher current just because it's wired balanced. I don't believe PD is designed to have a balanced 3.5mm, but perhaps it's connector is wired to accept 3.5mm TRRS terminated cable which internally gets "converterd" to SE.

Hi Twister6,

Apologies, maybe I was dreaming you reviewed &/or tested the PD but that's alright, still enjoy your content very much.

I don't have any Hifiman for various reasons but if it is their standard, maybe though I am not aware this is the case.
All I know in that regard is it is 3.5 mm TRRS which I found on veclan who seem to be the only 'affordable or cost effective' aftermarket cable producer who does this. As far as I am aware, 3.5 mm TRRS does exist outside Hifiman as a standard in the pro audio world though it is still uncommon enough.

I never said the PD officially accepts 3.5 mm balanced though I do find interesting it can make it work regardless due to those connections & wiring over the PR which yes I am aware doesn't support 3.5 balanced at all nor do I expect it to.
So I agree generally it all depends on the connections & wiring in place so I am aware it's not just about the vmrs alone.
I have been interested in how electronics work for a long time & sometimes am amused most specs, especially these days, can be taken with a grain of salt on what it can actually do & what the human ear &/or senses can actually process.

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #329 of 362

Users who are viewing this thread

Back