Twister6 Audio REVIEW index - the past, the present, and the future
Mar 16, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #122 of 362
Updated with a review of Noble K10UA: http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-kaiser-k10ua-universal-aluminum/reviews/15497

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #123 of 362
  Upcoming Reviews (in no particular order):

iFi micro iDSD
RIVA Audio S
ZEN 2.0
L&P L3

Hopefully the IFI micro IDSD is on top of the list for a reason!
blink.gif

I was wondering if you were getting channel imbalance at lower revs as others have mentioned?

What is your initial impression of it - some prefer it to the Mojo and others think it can be a bit bright?

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #124 of 362

Upcoming Reviews (in no particular order):

iFi micro iDSD
RIVA Audio S
ZEN 2.0
L&P L3

Hopefully the IFI micro IDSD is on top of the list for a reason!
blink.gif

I was wondering if you were getting channel imbalance at lower revs as others have mentioned?

What is your initial impression of it - some prefer it to the Mojo and others think it can be a bit bright?

Yes, starting to work on Micro review now!  Channel imbalance with analog pot is normal and rather common at a very low volume when you turn the power on.  I'm so used to it, don't even list or consider it as Cons. 

I don't have Mojo, but heard about it being more analog, smoother, warmer.  Micro has a very analog smooth sound characteristic, neutral, maybe with slight hint of warmth.  I LOVE it!!!  Burr Brown dual DAC does its magic, and iFi paired it up well with their amplifier stage.  But surprisingly, I'm not as crazy about amplifier by itself when connecting LO of another source.  The amp section is tuned to pair up and to compliment the built-in DAC, and a bit too smooth with external DACs of other DAPs I'm feeding it into.  Thus, I prefer to use Micro with Optical 3.5mm mini-toslink or COAX inputs to take full advantage of that awesome DAC/amp combo.  Of course, it works great as USB DAC connected to my laptop.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #125 of 362
Ifi vs Mojo is a big decision for me. I really don't care for the design of the Mojo, I much prefer the look of the ifi devices. OTOH, they are a bit bulky for portable use... It's a tough decision, but I'm going for Mojo. I really like the look of the ifi devices and all the switches and options, maybe I'll end up with both.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #126 of 362
Ifi vs Mojo is a big decision for me. I really don't care for the design of the Mojo, I much prefer the look of the ifi devices. OTOH, they are a bit bulky for portable use... It's a tough decision, but I'm going for Mojo. I really like the look of the ifi devices and all the switches and options, maybe I'll end up with both.

In the old tried and tested tradition on HF, why not buy both and return the looser!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #127 of 362

It's an easy decision if you are looking for something portable (Mojo) vs trans-portable (Micro).

Just for the reference, here is my Note 4 on top of Micro (about 300g of additional weight).

But you get A TON of power, up to 4W (into 16 ohm) at max gain.  And then, in the lowest gain, you have 3 power reduction stages for IEMs where it reduced hissing significantly even with my ES60.  Micro looks cool as hell, and kind of reminds me of car amps.

There is a possibility that I might get my hands on Mojo, but not anytime soon (not within a month).  In my opinion, everything comes down to portability factor.  If that is not an issue for you, Micro has a ton of bells'n'whistles and more flexible.  But it's hard to beat the Mojo in portability.  Just can't tell you for sure about sound comparison.  Chris (HBB) will be the person to ask, he got both.

Also, along with Micro, I got nano iDSD, and even so it's good - the performance is scaled down, plus I'm having issues with volume blasts whenever I turn the power on, not sure if that is my setup/cables.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #128 of 362
Chris is the main reason I'm getting mojo instead... But, much like you, I love the look of the ifi devices. Portability is also another minor issue. Ifi doesn't fit my criteria.

However, like Light - Man suggests, buy both. Except, I'll probably keep both, in the true head-fi fashion. :grinning::grinning:

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #130 of 362
Apr 5, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #131 of 362
I do not see a review on the Opus#1, are you still working on it?

Another note between the Micro vs. Mojo, I am one who prefers the Micro which is why I ended up buying the Micro over the Mojo. If money was not an issue I would buy the Mojo to, but my preference was the DSD Micro. The DSD Micro and DX80 are a match made in haven, to me its that good! Also, cant wait for the DX200!!!!

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #132 of 362
  I do not see a review on the Opus#1, are you still working on it?

Another note between the Micro vs. Mojo, I am one who prefers the Micro which is why I ended up buying the Micro over the Mojo. If money was not an issue I would buy the Mojo to, but my preference was the DSD Micro. The DSD Micro and DX80 are a match made in haven, to me its that good! Also, cant wait for the DX200!!!!

Howdy, would you care to expand for us your reasons why you like the Micro over the Mojo?

Twisters threads are safe International waters for us to give our honest opinions without reprisals - hopefully!
biggrin.gif

Twister, I have been meaning to ask you which you prefer between the Cayin N5 and the DX80 purely for SQ?

I have been reading that those who have tried both DAP's prefer the N5 and that is also the feedback I have got from some PM's.

Are there any DAP's near its price that you have tried that are better?

You and I have the GO450 DAC, would you care to mention how it differs from the Micro in a sentence or two?

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #133 of 362

Howdy, would you care to expand for us your reasons why you like the Micro over the Mojo?

Twisters threads are safe International waters for us to give our honest opinions without reprisals - hopefully!
biggrin.gif

Twister, I have been meaning to ask you which you prefer between the Cayin N5 and the DX80 purely for SQ?

I have been reading that those who have tried both DAP's prefer the N5 and that is also the feedback I have got from some PM's.

Are there any DAP's near its price that you have tried that are better?

You and I have the GO450 DAC, would you care to mention how it differs from the Micro in a sentence or two?

I personally like the separation and clarity, there is a distinct placement of all instruments, its like I'm there. I have heard a lot of different gear over the years and this my favorite so far (DAD/AMP). I did a review on the Mojo as well and gave it 5 stars to, and right now I'm still doing a review for the iFi. I tell you one thing is that half way through doing the review on the tour unit (I could have kept the tour unit for as long as needed) I bought my own and returned the tour unit. I liked the Mojo but, did not have that seem feeling. I love the crisp presentation when supplied with well mastered tracks. Right now I have the DX80 (256gbs of FLAC and DSD)>iFi DSD Micro to Oppo PM3s with FAW cable= Absolute perfection. Foraa more in Depth Audiophile response you may need to wait for the Master reviewer, Alex AKA twister6. I can try to help in some of your questions though. There are a few here on Headfi that own both.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #134 of 362
Oh, I'm gonna ban both of your (@howdy and @Light - Man) arses from my thread!!! j/k
tongue.gif

Micro vs GO450, you will have to extract that comparison from my Micro review, I used 4-5 different headphones and mentioned how they sound in comparison between micro, go450 and a few other usb dac/amps.  It might take awhile before I can sit down and go over everything again in details.  Too much stuff going on in my personal life and at my work now...  Sorry bud.

With Opus#1 review, I continuously writing my impressions and comments in Opus thread, updated it yesterday after they released a new fw.  The sound quality is fantastic.  I spent some time after updating firmware last night, listening with U12 and ES60, and I preferred Opus#1 over LPG.  Yeah, that good.  Regardless of balanced output, Opus 3.5mm single ended HO had soundstage as wide as LPG (and that is a big compliment).  Obviously, LPG will have more power, and has it's parametric EQ, and overall has a touch more transparency, but the gap is really closing in and smooth touch interface of Opus is like a pure touch screen of smartphone experience.  Why I didn't review it yet, I'm still waiting for fw fixes.  usb DAC is not enabled, and there are some other fixes I hope they will implement, plus I hope they could optimize the battery.  Right now it's 6.5-7hrs of play time, while they promised close to 10hrs.  Battery life is my only negative right now, amazing stand by time - I don't even have to turn it off, it lasts for weeks in standby, but playback with screen off is on average 6.5-7hrs, with screen on probably close to 6-6.5hrs.  So, I want to wait and see before writing full review.  I still have more stuff in queue to review anyway.

N5 vs DX80, I like them both.  N5 might be a little more revealing and detailed while DX80 a little warmer and smoother, but they are close.  Balanced output of N5 is good if you don't have sensitive IEMs, otherwise it will his.  N5 has a unique design and a cool scrolling wheel, while with DX80 you get a pure touch screen performance and fantastic playback control buttons.  I think the choice might come down to whichever design/UI you will like more.  Plus, if you want optical output, to drive something like Micro, I found mini toslink to have a slight advantage in sound in comparison to coax cable.  Honestly, it's a draw between these two.  BUT, in a month or two Cayin will have i5 which is Android touch screen version of N5.  That one will be close to $500, but you get streaming and wireless BT headphones.  Now, that will be an interesting comparison between i5 and DX80.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #135 of 362
Thanks buddy for the update! The reason I was looking for your review of the Opus was because of all the post your doing. You gotta be a busy go with Family, work and reviews.

Do you think the new i5/i7 will be in comparison to the new upcoming DX200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back