Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Oct 7, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #1,111 of 1,284
well i'll leave that for others with more listening time to chime in, as I really havent done enough to even form an opinion, let alone give advise on what could be improved on in the output stage
frown.gif
and i'm really no expert in this area anyway, I just know what i like. man I wish I had more time for this hobby, i always do this, I mean I love my work, but finding time to do my own thing is becoming more and more difficult these days
frown.gif
I know woe is me
biggrin.gif
lets all hear an oooohhh for the cable guy......

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #1,113 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I really like the natural tone of the Reference One. It has a 0.5dB drop at 12kHz and a 1.5dB drop at 20kHz, like many high-end DACs do. Other than that it's perfectly flat. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Have you listened to the Buffalo yet?

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #1,114 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OOOOoooooo for the cable guy....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe thanks wink
wink.gif
I didnt actually expect someone to give me one
wink.gif

got some interesting stuff on the way from texas components. I was planning on using nude S102 (TX2352) for load setting resistors and will still install them initially, but while going over my notes a couple nights ago I came across something that funnily enough was prompted by Natonrice, who mentioned the Z201 Z foil resistors also by texas components. I remembered there were some things in the works over there, so when contacting my guy there to make an order for the TX2352's I asked about the new TX2575 'naked' Z foil resistors, long story short I have some on the way, these things look to be as close to 'a good piece of wire' as possible, so ordered some for impedance adapters and also 4 680R 0.005% for the B32, for driving headphones directly; this number should keep the load low enough to remain in current mode (<780 ohms) 680 plus the output impedance of the B32 itself (~21ohms), contact resistance of the terminals, the OTTO, then switch and XLR connector and of course the headphones themselves, <30 for JH13 and 300 for the senns. resistance should still come under for the JH13, correct?? i'll probably install some others for the senns or live with voltage drive for them. i'm sure it'll still sound fantastic either way whether current or voltage output, but current being preferred.

am I missing something?? does this sound like a plan, because these are made to order and I havent paid and finalized the order yet for those 4, so if you guys think I should lower it a tad, please let me know. the headphone cable will present very very little being silver (in the case of JH13 anyway) and also silver the whole way from dac output to the XLRs (except the otto and the R's themselves)

any advice here would be much appreciated.

also, anyone built up the placid PSU/shunt regs yet?? if so, were the results superior??

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #1,115 of 1,284
So your gonna run your buffalo straight to phones? I thought about doing that but decided against it.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #1,117 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OPA1632 opamps can deliver 150mA and will easily power any headphones.

Thanks for the reply Brian; yes I realize that, but with the information posted above, do you think I will stay in the current domain or is there some impedance/resistance I am missing??

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #1,118 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your gonna run your buffalo straight to phones? I thought about doing that but decided against it.

sorry for the double post guys; yes i'm driving direct..... as an option; my Buffalo32 is loaded with options for input and output. I will also be driving my studio monitors (active balanced) and SE output to my Lisa III/LLP and a balanced amp sometime in the near future when I get around to deciding on one and building it. also when the wallet recovers a bit.
I have installed the volumite, as it can be removed from the equation by turning it all the way up, but allows me to driove balanced direct until I get around to the amp.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #1,119 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will also be driving my studio monitors (active balanced)

Dude that sounds like an awesome desktop setup your building =]

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #1,120 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude that sounds like an awesome desktop setup your building =]

thats the plan
biggrin.gif
BTW there is a new contender for the amp that I may be able to afford sooner rather than later. you guys seen the M4 thread. its not an official AMB build, but simply a modified M^3 PCB with fully differential input and output. the projected price is sounding great too. should be good to hold me over until I build something truly substantial like a beta22 or OTG tupe (less likely) amp. looks to be a nice design that will pair well with the buffalo32 on a budget

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #1,122 of 1,284
plenty, but I guess most importantly, the Buffalo32 has an onboard I/V stage and runs from the newer, more powerful and higher resolution 32 bit ESS9018, as opposed to the 24 bit ESS9008. and thats just to start

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #1,124 of 1,284
I wouldn't go too far with the "32s is significantly better than the 24". I have both and think both are very good DACs, neither is a slouch and I while the 32s may be better, I don't notice it all that much. Maybe should bring the 24 from work for a good listening session, the comments are from memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back