Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Oct 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #1,081 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, upon a closer inspection of the switch the metal plate reads ELMA, although the box and a dodgy stuck on sticker (which fell off) state it’s a DACT. Also the DACT knob does not fit the switches shaft, I’m pissed to say the least. It’s clearly foul play, from a repatriable company that many of us use. I’ve given them a chance to explain and quickly replace, if these requirements are not met, you’ll see a post in full detail.

the packaging thing is odd, so you bought this from soundlabs or THL?? the DACT switches do indeed use elma parts, another reason to just buy elma, but the shaft size thing is a little strange, perhaps the knob is a fake
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey John,

Do you mean that the shaft is too long?
I had the same problem with the knob I choose for my B22.
I simply fitted the DACT and then dremeled off a length of the shaft~
Ninja dremel powers ftw!
ph34r.gif

indeedy do, I love my dremel, I really would hate to be without it, although I think my neighbors might be safely be able to
tongue.gif
I like to work late
wink.gif

Quote:

Hey Tom, the problem is the Dact CT3 I ordered is actually an ELMA (disguised in a Dact box with fake dact stickers). The shaft diameter (not length) is the problem as the switch is clearly not Dact but the knob is.

are you sure its not the other way around
wink.gif
I would think a knob would be easier to fake than a quality rotary and if they wanted to fake it, I think they might have done a better job. perhaps they just didnt have the right packaging, because as discussed the DACT is in fact made by elma, but they just charge nearly twice the price
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DACT switches are Elma, aren't they?

And Goldpoint as well: http://www.goldpt.com/info.html

"Goldpoint stepped attenuators employ ELMA, 24-position, precision switch components. They have smooth turning torque, great for audio applications."

indeed they are, mine just shipped (just the selector switch), so i'm nearing the point where I actually case this thing up. my second elma I have to wait for as percy hasnt returned from break yet, perhaps i'll just get the 4 position 2 deck from THL, what were the prices and shipping like there John?? they have great stuff there and I will probably get a bit of stuff from there, but without any prices on the site its a bit annoying. nice cases there too. actually the most comprehensive listing of DIY supplies I think i've seen; most places will have a few good things, but have a couple of gaps in the catalogue, so yo are forced to either compromise or get things from multiple places and pay shipping accordingly. from there you can get most anything you need to case something up

Quote:

Oh ****!~

That's strange because the only thing DACT does is make the little pcb and assemble.
The switching hardware was identical I thought.
Not to jump the gun but... could it be a fake/copy?
What a pain in the but
frown.gif

I finished my buf32 btw! The arduino thing seems to have worked well ^^

nice!! looking forward top the pics, have you considered the LCDaunio (dont know if that acronym is right or not ;P) wish I had the knowhow or time to work out an interface/switching mechanism like that. I will probably do it eventually, but not at the moment. I ended up going for a different enclosure temporarily, as costs for a fully custom mixed media case are extreme, I will chip away at all but the front and back panels myself until im happy. for the moment it is going in a larger rack type case with wooden front and back panel; will get it all wired up and in my 'final' configuration before I do the final case, as I can see that I will still have some fiddling to do before i'm done with this project. I am considering getting the placid PSUs for analogue section and battery power supply for the DAC. or going SLA for the entire rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, instead of asking the question, I will tell you. DACT use Elma switches
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Ok thanks, I need to be told
tongue.gif
I lightly sanded the DACT knobs hole with a screw driver and got it to fit. I think I’ll be sending an apology email back to THL Audio
redface.gif

huh? I thought you got it from soundlabs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was that a right-handed or left-handed screwdriver?
Good to see natural ingenuity at work.

LMAO
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #1,082 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice!! looking forward top the pics, have you considered the LCDaunio

Hehe thanks~ I posted pics in the DIY pics thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I wrote a small code for my arduino switch controller thing.
Very easy to learn and implement so I highly recommend it!
I planned all of this a number of months ago and unfortunately the LCDuino was not yet available so I had to rough it lol.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #1,083 of 1,284
Quote:

Ok thanks, I need to be told
tongue.gif
I lightly sanded the DACT knobs hole with a screw driver and got it to fit. I think I’ll be sending an apology email back to THL Audio
redface.gif

How much did you pay for the DACT at THLAudio?

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #1,084 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did you pay for the DACT at THLAudio?

US$108

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #1,085 of 1,284
wow, I paid 39 for the elma (MUX), and dont plan to pay any more than $70 for the output switching.

@ Natonrice: ok I think you have convinced me, for the final case (or my next build) I will definitely look into the LCDuino to control the mux, status of various parameters and output switching. I really like the idea of it and the possibility of being able to access the filters via LCD input/display/feedback. plus I love the look of 'tech' looking displays juxtaposed with wood.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #1,086 of 1,284
Quote:

US$108

Ay caramba, kind of steep. I'll stick to the Goldpoint version I think.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #1,087 of 1,284
Yeah qusp it is pretty fun stuff to mess around with =]
My implementation is very crude. The one that Ti and LW have going is going to be an awesome unit.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #1,088 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ay caramba, kind of steep. I'll stick to the Goldpoint version I think.

Totally agree, way to much to spend on a simple mechanical switch.
redface.gif
Really shot my self on the foot with that purchase.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #1,089 of 1,284
LOL I think the foot shooting started when we all bought something other than ibuds =]

How goes the build btw? What have you got left to do?

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #1,090 of 1,284
Quote:

LOL I think the foot shooting started when we all bought something other than ibuds =]

Well I’ve put the last hex screw in the base, and installed the switch today.
ksc75smile.gif
I’m done! Where do I go from here now? Hows the your B24 comin’ along?
very_evil_smiley.gif
BTW you gotta post some impressions, is the Beta22 nice and quite etc...

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #1,091 of 1,284
Quote:

Totally agree, way to much to spend on a simple mechanical switch.
redface.gif
Really shot my self on the foot with that purchase.

hey man, seriously dont sweat it
biggrin.gif
I mean I may have saved some dollars on the switches...but....... well you know
redface.gif
and hopefully in the next week or so you'll see, wont post final pics for a bit due to the availability of the right elma output switch at a reasonable price. comeon percy, why do people need holidays anyway
confused.gif

Quote:

lol, yeah something like that.when I first came here not that long ago really, I was balking at spending $150USD on SF5 pros and I couldnt wait to throw 1100 at JH for the JH13 not much more than a year later
rolleyes.gif
. funny thing is I think the majority of people get into DIY to save money, instead many generally end up being far more prolific than buying commercial gear.

Quote:

Well I’ve put the last hex screw in the base, and installed the switch today.
ksc75smile.gif
I’m done! Where do I go from here now? Hows the your B24 comin’ along?
very_evil_smiley.gif
BTW you gotta post some impressions, is the Beta22 nice and quite etc...

nice one man!! looking forward to having a 3 way buffalo32 showdown at the next meet
smily_headphones1.gif
hey whats the go in this thread lately?? aussies galore.

my case will be here on monday or tuesday, all switches and knobs bar the output elma around wednesday. should get the wooden front and back panel sometime late this week, but will knock up a build with the alloy front panel that comes with the case while I wait. so since i'll have the AES and BNC in use straight up before the elma gets here, i'll post some meaningful impressions next weekend I reckon, maybe early next.

Aussie DIY FTW!!!

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #1,092 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice one man!! looking forward to having a 3 way buffalo32 showdown at the next meet
smily_headphones1.gif
hey whats the go in this thread lately?? aussies galore.

Aussie DIY FTW!!!

Well, I'd thought I'd chime in.
My B32 is almost there. Fully functioning, case is 99% done. The casework is a little bit rough around the edges due to my lack of skill with power tools but its certainly functional. Aesthetics wasn't really high on my priority list.

Some wiring left to neaten up. Wondering if i should connect the ground pin of the xlr out to chassis ground or signal ground. Any thoughts? I am thinking signal ground....

Also pondering a different selector since the one that came with the spdif mux doesn't quite work out as john has pointed out.

With the Aussie dollar up there, I am already thinking of my next project. A toss up between a balanced b22 or aikido for a little taste of tubes.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #1,093 of 1,284
Input and outputs should be isolated from the chassis, the switch that came with the MUX is fine, sure it’s a little stiff - but for functionality purposes Hottuna, I’d stick with it - save some money for a nice attenuator for the upcoming the Beta22 where it counts, in the signal path.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #1,095 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. What's the main problem with the switch in the kit? Looks, feel, what else? If it is unsuitable, I would like to improve it.

My problem with it is that its does not have a 6mm, but 1/4" shaft. Besides that it does its job well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back