Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Aug 18, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #946 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The trafos are 15V, but 25VA instead of 15VA (this is due to a temporary shortage of the 15VA at Avel). Just adjust the trimmer on the PSUs to set the desired voltage as usual.

Toroidal transformers have very very low leakage; the leakage they do have is generally on the axis on the hole. I have mounted transformers right under the power supplies with no adverse effects, so you could try no shielding at first before spending a lot of time and money on it.

Avel actually will provide (free of charge even) belly-bands for their toroids. I bet since Brian orders directly from them, he could speak with them about including them.

After speaking with an engineer at Avel, as Brian said, the first place to be considerate of is on axis with the hole, and the second is the point at which the leads enter and exit the side of the toroid.

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #947 of 1,284
I received my Buffalo32s kit on Thursday. The package didn't feel anything special, though quite heavy. But how surprised I was after opening it! The packaging was exquisite, just see for yourself:

20090818_Buffalo32sDAC_003.jpg

Every piece of kit in a separate labeled box, wow! You outdid yourself Brian.
beerchug.gif
Now I understand why it takes so long to ship.
The not so pleasant things: The two 15+15V toroids are indeed 25VA instead of 15V. I said for myself - fine, I got more powerful trannies as a bonus. However my enthusiasm quickly vanished when I found that I couldn't cram them into my intended enclosure. What the...? I'd precisely laid out every component beforehand, so it was really surprising.

The truth is, the 25VA toroids are larger in diameter, [size=medium]70mm[/size] instead of 60mm as indicated. Even the smaller 9+9V is [size=medium]63mm[/size].

I wanted to point this out, as other builders might find this out late as me. What's more troubling, I didn't received any prior notice from TPA that the toroids shipped are different. I find it highly unprofessional to ship different goods than what I'd paid for and what was on my invoice. I'm sure many other builders will be happy with the bigger trannies, but this is definitely not the right thing to do.
I said fine, I'll send an e-mail and we will settle this out, but to this day I didn't received any reply. Truth spoken, I already sent two e-mails and never received any reply. I'm sorry to crap this thread with my customer problems, but no matter how good the TPA products are, I find the communication severely lacking. Maybe it's a technical problem (spam filtering), maybe a decision on Brian's part to improve his time management. Who knows. Just be forewarned. For many it's not a big tax to pay for all these great products we receive
wink.gif
. Perhaps Brian could shed some light on it...

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #948 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said fine, I'll send an e-mail and we will settle this out, but to this day I didn't received any reply. Truth spoken, I already sent two e-mails and never received any reply. I'm sorry to crap this thread with my customer problems, but no matter how good the TPA products are, I find the communication severely lacking. Maybe it's a technical problem (spam filtering), maybe a decision on Brian's part to improve his time management. Who knows. Just be forewarned. For many it's not a big tax to pay for all these great products we receive
wink.gif
. Perhaps Brian could shed some light on it...

I just saw this and found your email in my spam folder, but only one. I'll will make it right for you. Sorry about that.

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #949 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my Buffalo32s kit on Thursday.

The truth is, the 25VA toroids are larger in diameter, [size=medium]70mm[/size] instead of 60mm as indicated. Even the smaller 9+9V is [size=medium]63mm[/size].

. Just be forewarned. .

Brian has already pointed that out in this thread.

It would be remarkable to know how many times I have placed an order from one of my suppliers only to find out that the product is "out of stock" or "backordered", and my suppliers don't go to the trouble of making sure that I have a suitable replacement for the part either. It is nice to know that TPA will go out of the way to ship something as good as or better than what you ordered, instead of sending nothing at all but a piece of paper stating the part is "backordered".

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #950 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw this and found your email in my spam folder, but only one. I'll will make it right for you. Sorry about that.

Aha, that explains it! Thanks for sorting this out. The first e-mail was a general question about USB receiver availability, nothing so important.

As digger945 said, I received a more expensive part for the same cost. Now imagine having to wait with your order for a month or so before Avel condescends to stock this trannies again. What could be worse?
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #951 of 1,284
Quote:

Now imagine having to wait with your order for a month or so before Avel condescends to stock this trannies again.

Avel agreed to supply me with the 25VA units at the same cost as the 15VA units to complete my order. They are a very good supplier. I also now have 15VA units again in both voltages.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #953 of 1,284
There is no "stock enclosure," per say. You can use anything that meets your fancy and that will fit all the components, of course. This enclosure works nicely - Par-Metal.

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #957 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaospanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically, you buy your own enclosure and drill your own holes?

or get them cut from a CAD design, yep
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #958 of 1,284
Quote:

Noob question, where do you buy the enclosure for this dac?

Quote:

So basically, you buy your own enclosure and drill your own holes?

Uh-oh! The pre-machined cases for various Milletts have clearly set a dangerous precedent
frown.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #959 of 1,284
I’ve been using Airport Express recently as a wireless music server. I’ve noticed the Buff32/Mux via toslink/spdif is occasionally dropping out of lock usually 30 sec into a track momentarily. Switching back to toslink directly from my mac has no such problems, I think I’m going to abandon the whole wireless idea - this is my second dac that has had similar problems with APE.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #960 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve been using Airport Express recently as a wireless music server. I’ve noticed the Buff32/Mux via toslink/spdif is occasionally dropping out of lock usually 30 sec into a track momentarily. Switching back to toslink directly from my mac has no such problems, I think I’m going to abandon the whole wireless idea - this is my second dac that has had similar problems with APE.

Ditch that Mac crap and get a Logitech Squeezebox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back