Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Aug 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #976 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow you move quick!
I've wiring everything up before I dismantle the three panels for engraving.
Ass backwards I know but I want to make sure everything actually works lol...

Are you etching or engraving? I've hit a few snags with my desired design - I might have to settle on a combination of the two.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #977 of 1,284
cant wait to see your finished buffalo john!

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #978 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you etching or engraving? I've hit a few snags with my desired design - I might have to settle on a combination of the two.

I'm leaning towards both too.
I have some free time tonight and I was planning on finalizing what I want in what.
Snags? Measurement problems? How did the fitment go?

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #979 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaning towards both too.
I have some free time tonight and I was planning on finalizing what I want in what.
Snags? Measurement problems? How did the fitment go?

mmm... Got the panels back today, the holes in the base are ok but there all slightly shifted. I reckon I'll be drilling the holes for the USB module a little bigger and putting washers in place - jobs not to bad. Front panel is perfect, back panel being black at first looked terrible - but most of it's sputter and should clean off. I'm on the train atm so until I can get home and get some time tonight to check I'll know better. But all looks to be an ok if not great job.

Laser etching on alo at small font sizes will be really hard to see, I'm doing the logo and border as etching and small spec text as engraving. Back panel will be totally engraved for silver text out of the black panel. Unfortunately the diamond head engraving machines used for plain aluminum won't do larger logos or borders, it's ok for black coated alo but not plain, where they need to cut deeper for standout. My original plan for a totally laser engraved job is foiled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cant wait to see your finished buffalo john!

I'll post pics when it's all done - where are your Beta22 pics?

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #980 of 1,284
Just finished assembling my dac today

116788281.jpg

I must say it sounds freaking amazing!

Although one of my powersupplies was acting odd... i could not get it to budge from -21V... But the + rail is fine at +15V

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #981 of 1,284
Quote:

Although one of my powersupplies was acting odd... i could not get it to budge from -21V... But the + rail is fine at +15V

Check to be sure IC1 is LM317 and IC2 is LM337.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #983 of 1,284
is there supposed to be a metal top AND bottom cover for the trannies?? I seem to only have 3 pieces for 3 trannies

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #984 of 1,284
No. Usually you would place a rubber ring underneath and on top, then a metal cover on top only.

Oh, and could your sig possibly be any bigger
confused.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #985 of 1,284
yeah thats how i've got it;

yeah at the point of putting it all in my profile. I havent even seen what it probably looks like to other people. I have 2 x 23" monitors, so isnt that bad on here, but its not FOR me, so thanks for reminding me. I actually cut it back recently to, but then more stuff came in and I added that and got rid of a few things etc etc. but yeah thanks; will get it into my profile in the next day or so when I find a spare minute

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #986 of 1,284
I still havent cased up anything John, its working but loose on the desk. Im trying to make the chassis perfect for me. and also deciding if I want the Buffalo to match the width and stuff. I dont want to redo it again so Im being very picky.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #987 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check to be sure IC1 is LM317 and IC2 is LM337.

I actually misread the label on them LM317 / 337 are in the correct positions. IC1 / IC2 respectively

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #988 of 1,284
My completed poor mans buffalo

116823229.jpg

116823222.jpg

116823215.jpg

its lined with tin for grounding / heat control. Although it hasnt generated too much heat yet for me to be worried about. I will eventually get a better case made when i have access to a place that can make one.

still only have the one lcbps running

cant seem to workout why i can only get -21 V on the negative rail.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #990 of 1,284
It could just be a bad trimmer pot. I can send a replacement. You can check with a multi-meter to see if you are getting and variation in resistance while turning it.

Alternatively, it could be a bad/cold solder joint or a reversed diode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back