Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Oct 16, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #361 of 1,284
I assume we can stack the modules.

I am seriously considering getting in on the pre-order.

Thinking of a two chassis design with stacked modules.

Does anyone have a height measurement for the PS/IVY/DAC modules?

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #363 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume we can stack the modules.

I am seriously considering getting in on the pre-order.

Thinking of a two chassis design with stacked modules.

Does anyone have a height measurement for the PS/IVY/DAC modules?

Not only can you stack them, they are designed to, and even come with stacking hardware.

The M-M (base) standoffs are .5". The M-F standoffs for stacking are .625" tall. Add in the thickness of each PCB (~3/32").

The Power supply is a tad over 1" tall (heatsinks are 1" plus board thickness). The standoffs are another .5" if you use them. There is no stacking hardware included for the ps, but it is possible to do it. Just make sure the heatsink for VD has enough air.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #364 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, I'm not going to wire it up until I have the chassis ready for it.

Casing is funnest part of any project right?
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #365 of 1,284
Quote:

The M-M (base) standoffs are .5". The M-F standoffs for stacking are .625" tall. Add in the thickness of each PCB (~3/32").

So if we want them stacked in the 2" tall hammond 1455, we need to replaced the .5" standoffs with something shorter than 0.1875"?
Is it possible to use something shorter than 0.625" for stacking the ps on top of the ivy?

EDIT: nevermind, I take it stacking hardware is meant for stacking the ivy on top of the dac module.

It would be nice if the ivy, dac, 2 ps, and 2 transformers could be put in a 1455. Does anyone have the horizontal dimensions of the boards? It looks the transformers from Twisted Pear are 2.4" diameter.

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #366 of 1,284
All of our digital boards are 3.3" x 2" (except toslink and volumite).

You are thinking something like this?...

DSCN1909.JPG

You would need smaller base standoffs.

If you want even more space, you could use smaller trafos, like Amveco 7VA, you can probably stack them to get more room. Also, the Placid supplies will be a lot shorter and will stack better when they are available.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #367 of 1,284
That's exactly what I was thinking - looks great. I take it that is the 1455T2202BK.

By the way where will updates about the next round of Buffalo orders be posted?

Thanks for all your work in this, and many other, great projects.

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #370 of 1,284
So I received a loaner Buffalo DAC from naamanf today. It has the IVY and balanced outputs.

Now I'm speaking from memory here as I sold my Zapfiltered Opus a while back, but I really like this DAC over the Opus in a big way.

It's resolving, great imaging and soundstage, very detailed and a perfect balance between too layed back and too fatiguing.

I'm using my HiFiDIY CD transport built by n_maher, my balanced four channel β22, balanced K340, HD 580 and "Chocolate Donuts" super modded orthodynamic phones.

This is a very refined and engaging sound! I'll go out on a limb and say it's the best DAC I've had in my system bar none.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #372 of 1,284
Those are very encouraging words, swt61.
I look forward to getting one in the near future.

I wonder if twistedpear's new output stage will significantly improve it even further beyond the IVY.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #374 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my buffalo is running, can't get the lcbps running yet, just use a normal regulated psu for the ivy atm
have 0 reading on the +side of the lcbps.

If you post a picture we might be able to help out.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #375 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my buffalo is running, can't get the lcbps running yet, just use a normal regulated psu for the ivy atm
have 0 reading on the +side of the lcbps.

Sounds like a bad solder join or loose wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back