Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Apr 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #587 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW: The IVYII measures better than the Counterpoint

There you go then
smily_headphones1.gif

Still keen to see a schematic, and try and work out what is different from the original IVY
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #589 of 1,284
Quote:

But, [Measures better] != [sounds better]. Which sounds better is up to the individual listener.

Pffffft! You're far too dimplomatic......
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #590 of 1,284
Quote:

But, [Measures better] != [sounds better]. Which sounds better is up to the individual listener.

And your personal preference?
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #593 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ETA on pre-orders?
tongue.gif

On track for May 11th as planned.

I don't like to give out subjective appraisals of our gear, as they are essentially meaningless (unless you borrow my ears). Suffice to say, if we didn't think it was good, we would not release it.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #594 of 1,284
Quote:

I don't like to give out subjective appraisals of our gear, as they are essentially meaningless (unless you borrow my ears). Suffice to say, if we didn't think it was good, we would not release it.

And thus we have to buy everything and compare it to form our own opinion!
devil_face.gif

Counterpoint sounds great. It needs some troubleshooting at first (easy to make a mistake, picks up ambient noise, takes some time to get the power supply right) but once you get it going it's incredible. You think that Buffalo can't sound any better and then you plug the Counterpoint in and... well, there is no going back to IVY !

I guess IVY II will be easier to get going and more trouble-free..
I must say I'm not eager to leave my fully discrete Counterpoint but then there is the tighter AVCC, better chip, better clock, better regs etc on the 32S that are more than tempting.
Wish you guys had planned a 32SD (D=discrete) or something that would incorporate the Counterpoints. But that'd be a King Size board by TPs standards!
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #595 of 1,284
Quote:

And thus we have to buy everything and compare it to form our own opinion!

There are plenty on opinions out there. I think they are better (more useful) coming from folks who are a little less biased.
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #596 of 1,284
Quote:

There are plenty on opinions out there. I think they are better (more useful) coming from folks who are a little less biased.
wink_face.gif

Not when a product is in the pre-order phase like the 32S...
The only people who could have possibly compared Buffalo + Counterpoints (or, dare I say, Buffalo32 Tweaker's Board + Counterpoints) to the 32S are you, Russ and, perhaps, a couple more people who you trust your new products with (for measurements, listening impressions etc).

And you know that a TP addict can't keep his finger off the Add To Cart button for too long.
There is no room for logical thinking, aka "let some people get it first, compare it to older versions and then decide".
You *must* have that new board!

Thing is, there must come a time when I find the strength (may the Force be with me and all that...) to just close the lid of my Buffalo's shiny enclosure, consider it completed and get on with the rest of my DIY projects - at least until there is really good reason to open it up (ie a 24/192 USB receiver)...
But of course that lid will close until I get my hands on a 32S or a Tweaker's Board!
tongue_smile.gif

Hard part is to decide which of the two it'll be.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #597 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not when a product is in the pre-order phase like the 32S...
The only people who could have possibly compared Buffalo + Counterpoints (or, dare I say, Buffalo32 Tweaker's Board + Counterpoints) to the 32S are you, Russ and, perhaps, a couple more people who you trust your new products with (for measurements, listening impressions etc).

And you know that a TP addict can't keep his finger off the Add To Cart button for too long.
There is no room for logical thinking, aka "let some people get it first, compare it to older versions and then decide".
You *must* have that new board!

Thing is, there must come a time when I find the strength (may the Force be with me and all that...) to just close the lid of my Buffalo's shiny enclosure, consider it completed and get on with the rest of my DIY projects - at least until there is really good reason to open it up (ie a 24/192 USB receiver)...
But of course the lid will close after I get my hands on a 32S.
tongue_smile.gif

Point taken...

The IVYII sounds and measures better than the original IVY, but that said, I like the original IVY as well, in fact I listen to it every day driving my HD650s while I write code. I don't currently have a CP setup for listening, but really enjoyed it when I did. I also don't have a Buffalo32s setup at the moment. I don't have a direct comparative opinion.

I should mention that I recently sold my house so am packing everything up and don't have much personal listening time at the moment.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #598 of 1,284
Quote:

I should mention that I recently sold my house so am packing everything up and don't have much personal listening time at the moment.

You have a job, a family, you're on the move between houses and you handle TP orders/kits/etc...
I'll bring that in mind when I think I had a busy day!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back