Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Apr 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #571 of 1,284
Thanks MrMajestic2 and TimJo.
That makes chassis layout much easier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #572 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, this was the very first batch of these PCBs. This is the batch we used for prototypes. There is no way we could get huge quantities of an untested board.
smily_headphones1.gif

The next batch will be much larger and not long in coming. We are talking weeks not months.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that we know the PCB/Circuit is fine we can order as many as we like.

Cheers!
Russ

OK, well sounds like the timing for the next round might be perfect for me then. I have a large cheque with my name on it arriving mid/late may. i'm gonna go to town on this and get the enclosure laser cut (custom) seeing as its gonna replace my fireface (dont need all the inputs anymore)

so i'll get this straight.
1 x buffalo 32 will do balanced ...check
things needed to make it work
case
2-3 PSU (will 2 x LLP do the trick??) I have 2 of them already
input/output jacks
and of coursr cables, but i'm covered there

but I would like to tweak the output stage with uber caps etc. will I have to desolder parts already on the board?? am I better off waiting for the tweakers bvoard?? when will this be available and will I be stick in the same position with them as there will be just as many paople waiting for the first round of them??

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #574 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks MrMajestic2 and TimJo.
That makes chassis layout much easier.
smily_headphones1.gif

I take it you managed to snag a Buffalo32? Cant wait to see it.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #577 of 1,284
Hi FallenAngel:

I too snagged a Buffalo 32S on Sat morning. Someone had posted a suggestion to go through a trial purchase on twistedpear just to see the sequence of web pages and entry. I think this helped.

I am using the Juli@ I2S output and you and I have corresponded on this. However, it seems you are using the XFi Xtreme Music.

Do you use I2S or spdif?

Why did you change?

Just curious.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #578 of 1,284
I've bought a couple of other things from TPA before, so I know the process.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use a modded X-Fi now because I play some games (want the 3D-CMSS) so that implies X-Fi with coax S/PDIF. Previously go switch between I2S and S/PDIF required a restart on the original Buffalo DAC so unless I went with an extra S/PDIF receiver (which I didn't want to bother with), I was stuck with either type of source.

With the Buffalo32, I will likely include both inputs - I2S over RJ45 for ESI Juli@ output and BNC for coax S/PDIF.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #581 of 1,284
Quote:

Just like some of you guys are waiting for the Buffalo32 DAC to be shipped, I have started to work on my Buffalo32 DAC this afternoon, eehhe… the power supply part of it.

Wish that my Buffalo32 DAC board was here to complete this, I really can’t wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ferrari, please keep the pics coming. The built so far looks amazing.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #582 of 1,284
Beautiful work, man!

Quote:

Just like some of you guys are waiting for the Buffalo32 DAC to be shipped, I have started to work on my Buffalo32 DAC this afternoon, eehhe… the power supply part of it.

Wish that my Buffalo32 DAC board was here to complete this, I really can’t wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #583 of 1,284
I know everyone is excited about the Buffalo32, but I just wanted to say that I got my counterpoints hooked up to my Buffalo and it sounds very very good
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to fix my very quiet buzz problem and do the vref mod...

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #584 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know everyone is excited about the Buffalo32, but I just wanted to say that I got my counterpoints hooked up to my Buffalo and it sounds very very good
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to fix my very quiet buzz problem and do the vref mod...

I'm beginning to wonder if a counterpoint paired with the yet-to-be-released "tweaker version" of the buffalo32s will be superior to the buffalo32s with onboard ivy2. It makes me want to hold out for that tweaker version.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #585 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm beginning to wonder if a counterpoint paired with the yet-to-be-released "tweaker version" of the buffalo32s will be superior to the buffalo32s with onboard ivy2. It makes me want to hold out for that tweaker version.

Considering the stress that Russ is placing on routing of the current outputs, I think it will be very much swings and roundabouts.

Sure, other output stages might measure better on their own, or have more audiophile cred because they are fully discrete...... but there will be trade-offs in not having it all in one completely integrated design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back