Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Dec 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #1,278 of 1,284
Quick! Before the pre-order closes. What do I need to order from Twisted Pair's website to build a Buffalo DAC with optical, and usb or coax inputs?
I know I need the Buffalo III DAC kit but what about those 3 accessories?

Sorry if it has been asked before or if the answer is simple. My sleep meds have kicked in and I'm not all there at the moment.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,279 of 1,284
  1. Buffalo III with Tridents
  2. Placid HD or LCDPS to power the Buffalo + transformer (9V)
  3. S/PDIF Level Converter for coax (single or 4-channel if you want multiple sources)
  4. TOSLINK optical module to convert Optical to TTL-level S/PDIF
  5. USB Module to convert USB to TTL-level S/PDIF
  6. Ideally an I/V converter (IVY or Legato + Placid BP or LCBPS + Transformer (15V)

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #1,280 of 1,284
Thanks. Hopefully I can catch it once they are in stock again.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,281 of 1,284
Hi all

I am just like a white sheet of DIY, just know some basic about it. And now I am interested in building a buffalo by myself. What parts should I get? Most likely I will use USB as a input, as a part of my CAS system and output as 6.5mm balanced TRS, RCA and a smiple 3.5mm phone jack. First, is it possible to do so? Second, does the USB support the 32bit/192kHz input from the computer? And if not, how can I do so? Lastly, what parts exactly I need to have, both ordered from TPA and by myself. Thanks :)
p.s. sorry for my poor english :wink:

cheers
Bo

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #1,282 of 1,284
^ your's is post 1281. I'd look up 2 whole posts (not pages, posts) to see what Brian Donnegan (of Twisted Pear) recommended to another person who had almost the same exact question as you just asked...
blink.gif

Also, this isn't a headphone amp, which is what most of the 2nd part of your question is related to. And I haven't heard of 6.5mm TRS balanced... you need 4 signals for balanced and TRS is 3.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,283 of 1,284
http://twistedpearaudio.com/docs/community_docs/leonvb-Buffalo_Integration_Guide_V1.0.5.pdf

Bo630, this little document nicely covers everything in depth including optional accessories, configurations, etc. But reading a few inches up would be easier 
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #1,284 of 1,284
Quote:
http://twistedpearaudio.com/docs/community_docs/leonvb-Buffalo_Integration_Guide_V1.0.5.pdf

Bo630, this little document nicely covers everything in depth including optional accessories, configurations, etc. But reading a few inches up would be easier 
biggrin.gif

Thats the old DAC-II guide.

The new DAC-III guide is here: leonvb-Buffalo_III_DAC_Integration_Guide_V1.2.5.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back