Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Feb 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #1,246 of 1,284
I've overspent elsewhere so I'm starting cheap!
redface.gif

I've bought the DAC and an IVY pcb, I only need balanced so I'm not populating it all.

I have some PCB's due in probably 6-8 weeks for a version of Salas' shunt reg and assuming they work ok, will be my final power source. I'm using two bipolar ones for IVY III and a third for the DAC. In the meantime I will use something knocked up from my parts bin.

Ultimately I want to use Erno Borbelys Jfet output stages but they are very costly and I'd like to get an idea of what the Sabre is about first. Also there is Counterpoint 2 or if they do produce a balanced tube I/V I'll be all over that
redface.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #1,247 of 1,284
ive been digging around looking for an answer and skimming this thread... but cant come to a definite conclusion to the answer to wither the Buffalo can be be hooked up directly from the base buffalo board to the output without the use of a ivy/ballise? if it could would i need output caps like the Opus?

i have a feeling that the answer is no but figured id ask?

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #1,248 of 1,284
About Buff32, first version board
Would it be possible to pick the balanced signal output, just at the chip output, before entering in the I/V "components" ?
Thanks for any help, with pictures, or detailled procedure

R.C.

May 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #1,249 of 1,284
This is still the main Buffalo thread? Well today I installed some xlr outputs to the DAC. I use the outputs to drive the DT880 600 directly and really it sounds absolutely great. Do more people use this?

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #1,250 of 1,284

Quote:
This is still the main Buffalo thread? Well today I installed some xlr outputs to the DAC. I use the outputs to drive the DT880 600 directly and really it sounds absolutely great. Do more people use this?

Hi mate, I will be receiving my Buffalo II early next month. Was considering buying a balanced amp to complement it, but after reading your post I am tempted to save myself some money! Will be reterminating my HD650s soon for balanced.

Can someone let me know the deal with using the Buffalo as a pre amp too? I assume this is no problem? If so, what are my options for volume control? Haven't started trawling through all the info regarding the Buffalo yet. Need to start doing it soon though to make sure I have everything I need in my order from TP before it ships.

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #1,251 of 1,284
I bought the Buffalo II, the Ivy III, 2 Placids and a Volumite. This combination works wonderfully as a DAC/preamp. No need for an extra headphone amp  the Ivy III will power any headphone (up to 150mA available if I remember correctly). You can use the balanced and SE outputs at the same time. I connect my HD600s to the balanced outputs - superb.

I use the Volumite as a volume control - the Buffalo II PCB has pins especially to power it, so installation is easy. It's a digital attenuator, changing volume in the Sabre chip itself. This is theoretically better than an analogue pot.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #1,252 of 1,284

Quote:
I bought the Buffalo II, the Ivy III, 2 Placids and a Volumite. This combination works wonderfully as a DAC/preamp. No need for an extra headphone amp  the Ivy III will power any headphone (up to 150mA available if I remember correctly). You can use the balanced and SE outputs at the same time. I connect my HD600s to the balanced outputs - superb.

I use the Volumite as a volume control - the Buffalo II PCB has pins especially to power it, so installation is easy. It's a digital attenuator, changing volume in the Sabre chip itself. This is theoretically better than an analogue pot.

That's great info, just what I was after thanks! Just how good is the Buffalo as a HP amp I wonder? If it is anywhere near as good a HP amp as it is a DAC then it must be an absolute bargain!

So it is just the volumite I need, and not the Joshua Tree as well? Sorry for the newbie questions, haven't ever used an attenuator, and as already stated I haven't properly begun to read up on the Buffalo yet. 

Cheers in advance

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #1,254 of 1,284
I can only compare the balanced outs straight from my Buffalo with my Goldpoint (that is also hooked to the Buff). Balanced from the Buff sounds very good and has some benefits over SE from the Goldpoint. You get a greater sense of air, soundstage (much better balanced) and also the bass goes deeper and stronger.
The Goldpoint doesn't have that airy sound (all relative of course) but is better in dynamics. The music will hit you harder; the sound is more lively (again in comparison).

To further illustrate this I think balanced is better for softer music like old hip-hop, some folk etc. But for classical I prefer the Goldpoint because of the more exciting sound. This is especially noticeable with the lower notes in big orchestras. Those huge bases sound fuller and stronger with the Goldpoint.
Still, it's a tough call and I am sure some people will disagree with me. Sometimes I want the airy balanced sound for when soundstage is more important and sometimes I want the more exciting sound from the Goldpoint.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #1,256 of 1,284

Quote:
I can only compare the balanced outs straight from my Buffalo with my Goldpoint (that is also hooked to the Buff). Balanced from the Buff sounds very good and has some benefits over SE from the Goldpoint. You get a greater sense of air, soundstage (much better balanced) and also the bass goes deeper and stronger.
The Goldpoint doesn't have that airy sound (all relative of course) but is better in dynamics. The music will hit you harder; the sound is more lively (again in comparison).

To further illustrate this I think balanced is better for softer music like old hip-hop, some folk etc. But for classical I prefer the Goldpoint because of the more exciting sound. This is especially noticeable with the lower notes in big orchestras. Those huge bases sound fuller and stronger with the Goldpoint.
Still, it's a tough call and I am sure some people will disagree with me. Sometimes I want the airy balanced sound for when soundstage is more important and sometimes I want the more exciting sound from the Goldpoint.

Thanks for your thoughts! This setup sounds ideal for me, as I am very happy with my SE amp - a fully modded Jaycar that I recently built. Was going to buy a balanced amp, but now I probably won't bother unless I get a balanced tube amp at some point such as the LD MKVIII. This has saved me a nice amount of money! Once the Buffalo is up and running I can sell my A-GD Compass and just use the Buffalo as my DAC and balanced HP amp, and also as a pre amp for my Jaycar and Quad 909 power amp for my speaker rig! Glad I ordered this Buffalo now!

Anyone know if there are any considerations when using the Buffalo/IVY as a pre amp for a headphone amp, and a speaker power amp? Both these will be SE via RCA. The only time I will be using it balanced then is as we've just talked about to drive 'phones straight from it. By considerations, I mean things like any particular resistors or other components that need to be left off or anything like that?

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #1,258 of 1,284
Funny stuff. Was listening to the GP with Johny Cash's At Folsom Prison. Halfway through I figured I had to switch to balanced straight from the Buffalo. HOLY BATMAN MICRO DETAILS.
beerchug.gif

I said that balanced the sound gets more open with a big soundstage, right? Well it really shows with this album. Everything is put more into place. Cash in the front, inmates before him. Much more realistic balanced. The Goldpoint is no slouch at all, don't get me wrong. But where the Goldpoint is forcing me to listen to guitars and Cash's wonderful voice, the Buffalo balanced lets me listen to the stage. It is better in creating a live-atmosphere. I am hearing things in this album that I have never heard before, good stuff.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #1,260 of 1,284

Quote:
Funny stuff. Was listening to the GP with Johny Cash's At Folsom Prison. Halfway through I figured I had to switch to balanced straight from the Buffalo. HOLY BATMAN MICRO DETAILS.
beerchug.gif

I said that balanced the sound gets more open with a big soundstage, right? Well it really shows with this album. Everything is put more into place. Cash in the front, inmates before him. Much more realistic balanced. The Goldpoint is no slouch at all, don't get me wrong. But where the Goldpoint is forcing me to listen to guitars and Cash's wonderful voice, the Buffalo balanced lets me listen to the stage. It is better in creating a live-atmosphere. I am hearing things in this album that I have never heard before, good stuff.

Sold! Sounds wonderful... can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back