Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Feb 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #916 of 994
I am such a goose, I somehow missed that, even though I am sure I actually looked at the page. Perhaps I assumed it was something else. You sir have truly thought of everything. Now I am kicking myself because I just ordered an Opus Dac from you last week (not put together yet).

Leve

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #917 of 994
I figure ill threadjack instead of making a new thread. Lets say i buy a kit (LCDPS, DAC module, and SPDIF board), all i need is wiring, a case, and the appropriate jacks? I assume ill need a 15A transformer that twisted pear sells. And that should be it to get it running on the ground?

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #918 of 994
I don't think the WM8741 accepts SPDIF off the bat, unless this SPDIF board you're thinking off is the module that is based on one of the Wolfson chip. You will also need a Ballsie lite + LCBPS + another transformer, but if you want to run unbalanced direct off of WM8741 (+ and ground to RCA out, output caps required) then you can skip the Ballsie lite + LCBPS for now and upgrade accordingly in the future.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #921 of 994
im still debating over spdif or usb.... but im leaning towards coaxial, the Spdif transceiver board should be able to handle that duty right?
And the 15VA transformer is the proper transformer to use? will i need a switch for 115v or 230v?

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #922 of 994
You can wire coax straight into receiver board.
If using optical, you need the toslink adapter

As mentioned, the DAC board comes with DC blocking capacitors (I think they are Elna Silmic II). To use in single ended mode just connect the + and gnd and leave the (-) unconnected

I you want digital volume control, you will need the Volumite with the appropriate firmware

The 9V transformer is more appropriate. But the 15V transformer will also work (just your PS will be running hotter)

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #923 of 994
Hi all, hope someone can help. I am planning on converting my dac to a pre-amp with integrated headamp which in the main is fairly straightforward but i'd also like to have my phono signal going through it. How do i ensure it is at the same level as the output of the dac so i can control either via the same attenuator?

Also should i put the volume control in the pre-amp or power amp or doesn't it make a difference?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #924 of 994
Ok, so i ordered the Power Module, the Dac and the USB module, is this all i need to roll?

I heard you maybe needed the ballsie for singel ended or will it work without it too?

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #926 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need it to get a signal just use half the balanced signal (+ve and gnd). You can always add the ballsie to improve the sound later, that's what i did. Have you got a transformer?

Ok thanks, thats what i needed to hear : )

No, i aint got a transformer yet i was thinking about buing a wallwart do you know where to get one? and which?

And which case do you use for your Opus?

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #927 of 994
A wallwart should work fine, I don't know many US retailers but mouser, digikey seem to come up quite a lot. I use farnell for my parts.

Something like:
http://uk.farnell.com/_/mc090d050u-f...0ma/dp/1217088

I use a hifi2000 slimline case but I also have 4 inputs, an attenuator and a headamp in mine so you probably won't need one quite so big, the galaxy cases are quite popular though:
modushop.biz

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #928 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A wallwart should work fine, I don't know many US retailers but mouser, digikey seem to come up quite a lot. I use farnell for my parts.

Something like:
--|MC090D050U/F+|ADAPTOR, UNREG, EURO, 9VDC, 500MA | Farnell United Kingdom

I use a hifi2000 slimline case but I also have 4 inputs, an attenuator and a headamp in mine so you probably won't need one quite so big, the galaxy cases are quite popular though:
modushop.biz

Thank you, that is about everything i need.

How much did the Ballsie improve the sound quality for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back