Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Oct 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #887 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have everything up and running except for Volumite. How do I get the OPUS into software mode and how do I hook up the volumite to the OPUS? I did based on what had read here but couldn"t get it to work Any help?

Opus Switches:
DIFFHW = 0
MODE = Z (open not high or low)
SADDR = 0 = LEFT Channel 1 = RIGHT

If I remember correctly the rest you can leave open.

I2C wiring:
GND -> GND
SDA->SDIN
SCL->SCK

Jumpers for PB3 and PB1 on Volumite:
V+, V+ (default with resistors installed) - Low sample rate Filter mode 2.
V+, GND - Low sample rate Filter mode 4.
GND, V+ - Medium sample rate (96khz) Filter mode 1.
GND, GND - High sample rate (192khz) Filter mode 1.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #889 of 994
Sorry, SADDR is the same as I2S (I was looking at the datasheet). I was also incorrect.

To put the DAC in software mode, set DIFFHW to - and Mode to Open and I2S to open.

Which version of the Opus board so you have?

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #891 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OPUS V2.1. The above didn't work either.

OPUSswSettingsImg.jpg

You can thank GLT for his post on his hifiduino blog.

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #892 of 994
Tried that also after seeing it earlier today. Still no go. The newer version of the OPUS also doesn't have the same controller pinout. May try running wires to the connection points instead of the controller ports.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #894 of 994
Quote:

May try running wires to the connection points instead of the controller ports.

Those pins are directly connected to the controller pins (DSD and SCK, DEEMPH and SDIN). Can you post some pictures of your Volumite and wiring?

Quote:

Also, are there any substitute pots for the Voulmite that has more threads on it. The supplied barely reaches thru faceplate and can't get enough contact to tighten the nut on it.

You can try countersinking the hole on the outside of the case, wide enough to accept the nut.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #896 of 994
I'm not sure how the volumite s/w works, but in s/w mode you have to match the internal oversampling rate to the incoming sampling rate. So the volumite must have a default setting for the internal oversampling rate and that setting must match the incoming sampling rate. If there is a mismatch you will not hear any music.

In h/w mode this was controlled by the OSR switch (low, med, high) low for 44.1-48K incoming rate, med for 88.2-96 and high for 172.4-192K material.

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #897 of 994
Has anyone tried this DAC in comparision with the Pico DAC? It uses the same Wolfson chip [8740/1].

Which one is better?

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #898 of 994
Changing the automute function on the metronome from OPEN (center) to OFF ( -=0 ) really made the presentation of the music more lively and amazing. Before it sounded like it was too digital, now it is more closer to the music. I can't believe just changing a switch could do so much. I use a dual mono opus dac. There are 3 more other switches in the OPEN position, what are they for? Is it alright to leave them open or close them?

Here are some details I found at the diyaudio forum.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...metronome.html

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #899 of 994
Noob question - does it make any sense to build dual mono Opus with RCA outputs using only two IVY's (I don't need XLR out)? If so - do I just wire the RCA socket just like in a XLR->TRS converter (chassis ground and cold pins to RCA sleeve)?

Second question - what parts are needed for dual mono Opus with IVY's, Volumite, 4 inputs (2x Optical, 1xCoax, 1x USB):
2x DAC module
2x IVY
1x S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver Module
(MUX doesn't require SPDIF modules, does it?)
1x USB Receiver module
2x Toslink module
2x LCDPS (one for MUX, one for both DACs)
2x LCBPS (one for each IVY)
4 transformers?!

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #900 of 994
Hi Brian and Russ,

The Ballsie board in my OPUS DAC seems to have died with only a few hours on it. One channel has developed noise and distortion and has about -13v dc on the output. Switching the inputs to the board coming from my OPUS did not reverse the affected side. I tried to isolate the problem but could not. The fact that there is no longer a schematic for this "full" Ballsie on your web page made my effort tough. I suspect that it is the second opamp but it seems unlikely to me that only one channel of it could die. I ended up buying a new Ballsie "Lite" from you which seems to have "cured" the problem so I am sure that the board is the culprit. I tried to get help from your support page and I also emailed you through your web page but after two weeks of not getting an answer I am now trying here.

I do not see any information on your website regarding defects or repairs but knowing how helpful you have been on the forums I am hoping you will either consider repairing the board for me or at least check out the board and let me know which part I would need to replace.

If you will contact me here via PM I can give you more details and perhaps I can arrange to mail it back to you.

It sounded great for the couple of weeks it ran. I was very happy with it.

Best,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back