Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
May 17, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #946 of 994

Quote:
Whatever happened to the Y in DIY?  Why is everything just buying a board from someone and soldering some parts down? It's my design.

Yeah, Sorry, didn't mean to take anything away from you but I was looking for either designs or pcb's. I don't consider myself a total newb, but my circuit design experience/skill is pretty much limited to a flashing bike light I did a few weeks ago. Nelson Pass designs look like a good compromise without having to learn another branch of engineering.

edit: Plus it looks like a professional Job, Kudos for that.

May 17, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #947 of 994

Ask him if he designed without SPICE software as a true DIYer would!

Quote:
Yeah, Sorry, didn't mean to take anything away from you but I was looking for either designs or pcb's. I don't consider myself a total newb, but my circuit design experience/skill is pretty much limited to a flashing bike light I did a few weeks ago. Nelson Pass designs look like a good compromise without having to learn another branch of engineering.

edit: Plus it looks like a professional Job, Kudos for that.

May 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #949 of 994
Hi

How does the Opus dac sound compared to the Analogmetric Os dac(tda1541a and saa7220) ?

Looking for a better one than my diy dac (ecdesign at diyaudio) 4 X direct interpolation TDA1541A.

Thank

Cheer

Gilles

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #950 of 994

My OPUS DAC portable
beyersmile.png

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #954 of 994
I can't seem to get the volumite to work with the opus, even after trying the configurations mentioned throughout this thread. Can anyone perhaps be super specific about their configuration with the volumite, such as the switches on the opus, and the exact wiring of the volumite?

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #955 of 994
did you buy the opus version of the volumite firmware?

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #958 of 994
Does the Opus DAC Spdif Transceiver need a pulse transformer if you have no ground loop problem? I am wondering if it would make the sound quality better. If so would it be best to use one at the coaxial output of the transport using a computer or after the coaxial input of the DAC near the Spdif Transceiver?

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #959 of 994
ground isolation is only one of the benefits of the spdif transformer, the other is impedance matching. i would recommend if you can only have one, to use it on the receiver side.

Rumble pak: i'm not surprised you are confused with what to do with pb3 etc, i went over to tp to check it out for you, but the only place they are mentioned on the site is in the volumite for buffalo manual and only to say that they arent used. so one would presume that they are used for the opus dac, but its not mentioned anywhere and there is no volumite for opus manual, or even a general volumite manual. looks like a gap in the documentation; have you posted this problem on the tp support forums? i suspect its covered in the wm8740/1 manual/datasheet, but sorry i dont have the time to check it out at the moment.

i use it on buffalo 2 and they arent used, so cant be of much help there.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #960 of 994

Quote:
I can't seem to get the volumite to work with the opus, even after trying the configurations mentioned throughout this thread. Can anyone perhaps be super specific about their configuration with the volumite, such as the switches on the opus, and the exact wiring of the volumite?

My  Volumite wiring.

OPUS controller terminal                  Volumite terminal
G                                                    GND
SDIN                                               SDA
SCK                                                SCL
                                                       PB1  --------  GND (jump)
                                                       PB3  --------  GND (jump)
                                                       VCC  --------  DC supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back