Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Jul 8, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #691 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it can.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just tie -In to GND. Then input your signal to +IN and GND.

Really cool
smily_headphones1.gif
Would any parts need to be changed or left out when using it this way?

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #692 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So will it operate well as a line stage for a b22? Wouls i need to use some sort of power supply with it? I don't really know much about them at the minute. This is what i was going to use as a line stage. link

Is your IVY more suited to the b22 or the other one?

Thanks for your help!
evil_smiley.gif

I don't know why it would not work. You would just need to set it up for the appropriate gain. the input impedance will be on the low side, but as long as that is not a problem you will be fine.

You would need a +/-15V supply the LCBPS is great choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!
Russ

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #693 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really cool
smily_headphones1.gif
Would any parts need to be change or left out when using it this way?

You would not leave anything out (except possibly the BAL/SE section), but you will want to be sure calculate the gain correctly for your application.

Or if you creative you can rework the BAL/SE section to be a buffer for the SE/BAL section.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!
Russ

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #694 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So will it operate well as a line stage for a b22? Wouls i need to use some sort of power supply with it? I don't really know much about them at the minute. This is what i was going to use as a line stage. link

Is your IVY more suited to the b22 or the other one?

Thanks for your help!
evil_smiley.gif

The Ivy in standard config works just fine with the B22
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #695 of 994
just put together my Opus USB module. It installed in Vista right away, but I only et sound from the left channel. Any ideas?

edit: nevermind... figured it out. Had nothing to do w/ the DAC (which is why my initial overlook didn't see anything) I had bumped one of the speaker wires out the back of my t amp... stupid tiny pin terminals!

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #696 of 994
Does anyone have any experience with using the IVY for both SE and Balanced output? I was planning on wiring the both balanced and SE IVY outputs to a switch (probably an OTTO) to route the output. Does anyone know if this is a kosher implementation?

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #697 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any experience with using the IVY for both SE and Balanced output? I was planning on wiring the both balanced and SE IVY outputs to a switch (probably an OTTO) to route the output. Does anyone know if this is a kosher implementation?

I was designed to output both at the same time at the same level.

Just wire the SE output and the Balanced output to appropriate Jacks.

Nothing special required. No switching.

Cheers!
Russ

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #698 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. I use it all the time like that.
wink.gif

I have the balanced outs driving balanced phones and the unbalanced outs switched
to any of 3 outputs by a (partially built) Darwin. I use this to feed into my other unbalanced amps.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #700 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by glt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you control the volume?

Thanks.

The IVY is the output stage of a balanced Opus Dac/Pre-amp.

It has a balanced Joshua Tree for volume just before the IVY.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #701 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by glt View Post

How do you control the volume?

Thanks.

The IVY is the output stage of a balanced Opus Dac/Pre-amp.

It has a balanced Joshua Tree for volume just before the IVY.

Or you could control the volume in the DAC itself. More to come on that shortly.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #702 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was designed to output both at the same time at the same level.

Just wire the SE output and the Balanced output to appropriate Jacks.

Nothing special required. No switching.

Cheers!
Russ

Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I use it all the time like that.
wink.gif

I have the balanced outs driving balanced phones and the unbalanced outs switched
to any of 3 outputs by a (partially built) Darwin. I use this to feed into my other unbalanced amps.

Thanks for the responses, that sounds fantastic!

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #703 of 994
I've been going thru the posts here and at diyaudio forum and finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Opus/Spdif Combo and the Ballsie. I intend to bypass the output caps on the Opus as I'll be running this in SE only. I was torn (still am) between ordering th Ballsie or the IVY. Most of the information/observations here seems to concentrate more on the ballanced aspect of the Opus w/the IVY combo. So, I thought I'd use the Ballsie and possibly the caps/filters on the Ballsie as well. Still need to investigate this further.

What I'm thinking about now is if I should just go ahead and buy the Metronome as well. Is this a worthy upgrade? I was also thinking about trying the IVY later if I feel the need. I don't actually want to do both, from a monetary stand point of course.

On another issue, I want to use a case from Par-Metal. A two inch high case would work nicely in my AV rack but that would most likely leave stacking the modules out of the question. Would a three inch high case be considered a "must"?

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #704 of 994
Ech0:
I'm doing a 3.5" case to stack my modules- 1 input stage stack, 1 dac stack, and 1 output stage stack. I also plan to pop a metronome into one of the stacks, but that's for down the line. I wanted the extra room because I'm putting a baseplate under the boards to conceal the wires, so that'll add .5" to whatever the stack height would be, and because I'm building a "convertible" top that eats up another .75" above the boards.

Someone in the cheap diy enclosures thread (pabbi I think) recommended the NABU case, and it's an absolute bargain. (Metal Project Boxes). It's much cheaper than the par cases ($17), comes with a pre-installed shielded compartment for power sections, and it has a power supply for my microcontroller. It's pretty big for the opus boards (18"x10"x3.5"), but leaves room for expansion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #705 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....What I'm thinking about now is if I should just go ahead and buy the Metronome as well. Is this a worthy upgrade? I was also thinking about trying the IVY later if I feel the need. I don't actually want to do both, from a monetary stand point of course.

IMO, the Metronome is a must, but that's purely IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

My personal preference is for the IVY rather than Ballsie.
I find it sounds smoother and more seductive.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Ballsie sounds more 'Hi-Fi' to me, although both are excellent.

My stack of Metronome + 2 x dacs is 2 1/2 inches high, so 2 high in a
2 inch case should be a doddle. I can just get 4 high in my case which
measures 80mm (~3 1/8 inches) internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back