Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Jul 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #676 of 994
I remember one of youTP guys saying that one should use the internal volume on the Buffalo where at all possible. Would a Jacob's Ladder be better or are these internal ones just as good? I am sure that you two have also had some time with the Opus and the Buffalo with the IVY, any impressios yet?

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #677 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a Jacob's Ladder be better

HEH!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #678 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean from the Ballsie you are correct.

Ballsie will cancel the common mode voltage at the single ended outputs even with no output caps on the opus. The balanced output however will have a common mode offset voltage of 2.5V.Some So if you plan on doing SE only from Ballsie that's the way to do it for best sound.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ/Brian,

Is 2.5V offset detrimental to a PGA-2320? I just got the new OPUS and want to try it without the caps. My amp is balanced and already has DC blocking capacitors. Thanks

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #679 of 994
The trouble with living on this side of the pond is you get up and find you've missed an interesting discussion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like I started something.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Just for information, my setup is now dual-mono opus (8740) with ASRC. I then have in-line 0.1% 18R resistors for load-balancing duty and these are fed via input selector (Balanced Darwin) and volume (Balanced J/Tree) to a customised IVY. It's built with precision resistors (0.1%) to give a small gain on the balanced stage. It's this that drives my 'phones direct. The Unbalanced part is as normal, with 2kR resistors. There are no capacitors needed anywhere, except for filtering on the IVY.

On balanced headphones (HD580), this config is superb and betters the original Ballsie output by a very large margin. The biggest difference came when I put the 18R resistors in, in place of the 47R ones I had in previously. I also had to play around with the IVY resistors and filter caps a bit, too, till I found the best combo from what I had available.

For anyone with balanced wired phones, I highly recommend that you try the IVY with a little gain (I use 1.8k input and 3.01k feedback resistors), it sounds very smooth and detailed. Of course, as Russ said, the big advantage with this approach is that no caps are needed, and you still have 0v offset.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is crrently my favorite headphone amp out of: CKKIII, Beta22! (was 3-ch currently wired as 2-ch), a JLH designed 'Chiara' clone, and a balanced Jisbo buffer (I suspect this could be best with low impedance phones) . I also think it betters the Stax 2050 in everything but Bass.( The bass on the Stax when driven direct from the Opus is really something!). I'm currently starting a MMax build, but don't really expect miracles
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought I'd better clear this up, as a comparison of 8740/8741/Buffolo might not be a case of simple substitution but might well depend a great deal on the rest of the system it's built into. As I said earlier the Buffolo will have to be VERY special to better this IMO. YMMV, of course.

Happy building everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #680 of 994
Interesting observations akione!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I'd better clear this up, as a comparison of 8740/8741/Buffolo might not be a case of simple substitution but might well depend a great deal on the rest of the system it's built into. As I said earlier the Buffolo will have to be VERY special to better this IMO. YMMV, of course.

From everything that I have read, I'm starting to get the impression that the differences between the digital component of these DACs is all very much of a muchness. It is the analogue section where things are make-or-break.

For example, the 8741 apparently sounds better than the 8740 and is probably due to improved analogue filtering. Buffalo sounds great, but needed IVY to be tweaked substantially. Your own observations that small changes to IVY makes it sound much better.........

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #681 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting observations akione!
smily_headphones1.gif

From everything that I have read, I'm starting to get the impression that the differences between the digital component of these DACs is all very much of a muchness. It is the analogue section where things are make-or-break.

For example, the 8741 apparently sounds better than the 8740 and is probably due to improved analogue filtering. Buffalo sounds great, but needed IVY to be tweaked substantially. Your own observations that small changes to IVY makes it sound much better.........

Thanks Beefy. Exactly my point.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: just to expand ...... The point I'm trying to get across, is that perhaps we shouldn't be too hasty to change. Just swapping for a Buffolo/8741 without attention to everything else could result in something worse than the original was capable of. The Buffolo is probably better out-of-the-box, but when the surrounding components are optimised, then the differences may not be that great.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #682 of 994
Quote:

Don't get me wrong. The Ballsie sounds great.

Haiku is a pure I/V stage. It cannot drive a low impedance like headphones without a buffer.

I am putting the finishing touches on the IVY manual which will answer the connection questions.

So what advantages exist in using the Haiku over the IVY?

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #684 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy

That's pretty much spot on; implementation is everything. Russ does a good job, though he still has a few things to learn.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #685 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cauhtemoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Russ does a good job, though he still has a few things to learn.
wink.gif

I certainly hope so, or this just won't be any fun anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!
Russ

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #686 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My comparison was Dual WM8740 Opus with Metronome and Ballsie versus a Buffalo with sound taken directly from the buffalo board (no IVY). I do certainly agree that a simple swap of one board to the other in the same setup is not sufficient.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #687 of 994
Quote:

There are at least four technical advantages of the IVY. And one for the Ballsie.
smily_headphones1.gif

IVY advantages
1) IVY is super symmetrical which helps to cancel out 2nd order harmonics while maintaining very low THD across the spectrum.
2) Greater output current capability for driving headphones (up to 100ma or so).
3) Better balanced dual mono setup (requires one IVY for each mono Opus)
4) its designed to be DC coupled, so no coupling caps while still providing zero offset at both balanced and SE outputs. This helps to deliver nice clean bass and removes phase issues at low freqs.

Ballsie has high input impedance and allows for dual mono with just one Ballsie (though technically you can do this with IVY too).

Cheers!
Russ

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. The Ballsie sounds great.

I am putting the finishing touches on the IVY manual which will answer the connection questions.

So I am holding off ordering a line stage until I get a better understanding of using the Ballise vs. the IVY for single-ended output.

The most obvious question I have is when reading the description of the IVY, it provides I/V conversion, but the Opus is a voltage output DAC. What am I missing here?

Also, any idea when the manual for the IVY will be available?

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #690 of 994
Quote:

Yes it can.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just tie -In to GND. Then input your signal to +IN and GND.

So will it operate well as a line stage for a b22? Wouls i need to use some sort of power supply with it? I don't really know much about them at the minute. This is what i was going to use as a line stage. link

Is your IVY more suited to the b22 or the other one?

Thanks for your help!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back