TWag Replacement cable for the balanced Protector
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #76 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some examples of my Protector Balanced Adaptors

Wow they are gorgeous, Craig!! Nice work. So what are the prices for those 3.5 mm adaptors?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #77 of 169
Quote:

Any pricing on the balance to balance as I see you used the Cyro-Parts Carbon XLRs.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #78 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any pricing on the balance to balance as I see you used the Cyro-Parts Carbon XLRs.

Working on it now actually...

Nice STUFF!!

Craig

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #80 of 169
Quote:

Now I have three cables when maybe I could have just had one with different connection on the end. Oh well, at least I can say I have no unnecessary connections in the chain.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #81 of 169
Craig, do you know how much difference is there in SQ if I buy a Protector TWAG cable for my jh13 and compare that to a jh13 TWAG cable that terminate in balance XLR and then connected to the Protector via a XLR-Protector adapator? Do you think if I add a XLR connector between the JH13 and the Protector, the SQ will decrease significantly?

Also, what kind of XLR connector do you use in your adaptor? Furutech?

The order list is up now for the protector and time to make some hard decisions as to the many routes one can do to connect from phone to Protector.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #82 of 169
You headfiers that are in my same predicament please jump in and share your thoughts on this dilemma that I am having. I already have the JH13 TWAG cable (single ended 3.5mm), What should I do? It seems like I have a few options:

1. JH13-->TWAG balance protector cable-->Protector amp
2. JH13-->TWAG cable w/male XLR-->female XLR-->Protector amp
3. JH13-->TWAG cable (single ended, 3.5mm, already own)-->3.5 mm to Protector adaptor-->Protector amp

No. 1 is the simplest and probably has the best SQ. But No. 2 gives me the flexibility to listen my JH13 to my other balance amp and at the same time gives me the flexibility to use my other balance headphone (HD800) with the protector amp but it is the most costly route. No. 3 is the cheapest because it goes from single ended (which I already have) to a balance adaptor, it may suffer the most SQ wise, but all I need is a 3.5 mm-to-Protector adaptor. What do you guys think?
Is there any other options that I have not thought of? Thanks for your collective mind.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #83 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You headfiers that are in my same predicament please jump in and share your thoughts on this dilemma that I am having. I already have the JH13 TWAG cable (single ended 3.5mm), What should I do? It seems like I have a few options:

1. JH13-->TWAG balance protector cable-->Protector amp
2. JH13-->TWAG cable w/male XLR-->female XLR-->Protector amp
3. JH13-->TWAG cable (single ended, 3.5mm, already own)-->3.5 mm to Protector adaptor-->Protector amp

No. 1 is the simplest and probably has the best SQ. But No. 2 gives me the flexibility to listen my JH13 to my other balance amp and at the same time gives me the flexibility to use my other balance headphone (HD800) with the protector amp but it is the most costly route. No. 3 is the cheapest because it goes from single ended (which I already have) to a balance adaptor, it may suffer the most SQ wise, but all I need is a 3.5 mm-to-Protector adaptor. What do you guys think?
Is there any other options that I have not thought of? Thanks for your collective mind.

Number one and two are at least viable for balanced operation, number three would be a waste since the protector also has a single ended connection.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #84 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Number one and two are at least viable for balanced operation, number three would be a waste since the protector also has a single ended connection.

Yeah but the whole point is to listen to it balanced. Actually with option number 3 you can use your JH13 with other regular amps as well as balanced with the Protector, and you save the cost of a new Twag cable. Also have in mind that the adaptors are also made with Twag, so little or any SQ would be lost (which I asked to Craig prior to order the adaptor)

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #85 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but the whole point is to listen to it balanced. Actually with option number 3 you can use your JH13 with other regular amps as well as balanced with the Protector, and you save the cost of a new Twag cable. Also have in mind that the adaptors are also made with Twag, so little or any SQ would be lost (which I asked to Craig prior to order the adaptor)

the third option does not allow for balanced operation, having a minijack at the end of the cable, then plugged into a balanced connector would not be balanced, that would be like saying putting XLR to RCA adaptors on a dac and then running rca to your amp is balanced, its not true, and actually i think ray may have said not to do this in the protector thread. If your headphone cable has a minijack on the end just the the minijack on the protector, no need for an adaptor.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #86 of 169
Quote:

Appreciate the above feedback. Actually, there are two ways even for number three. I could reterminate the TWAG cable in balance mode so I can connect directly to the Protector (better sq) and then get an adaptor to go from female protector back to 3.5 mm, or I can just buy an adaptor to go from my existing 3.5 mm connector to a female 3.5 mm connector to Protector adaptor. Probably the direct connection to the protector is the prefer mode since that is the point of getting the protector. However, I'm not sure that Craig has the female protector connector.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #87 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Appreciate the above feedback. Actually, there are two ways even for number three. I could reterminate the TWAG cable in balance mode so I can connect directly to the Protector (better sq) and then get an adaptor to go from female protector back to 3.5 mm, or I can just buy an adaptor to go from my existing 3.5 mm connector to a female 3.5 mm connector to Protector adaptor. Probably the direct connection to the protector is the prefer mode since that is the point of getting the protector. However, I'm not sure that Craig has the female protector connector.

yes, using the protector connection on the end of the headphone cable would work best, with then an adaptor to get to single ended, thats what im thinking about doing, but i dont know if craig has a adaptor for that yet, maybe he'll chime in
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:He does indeed have a protector female to minijack male adaptor
smily_headphones1.gif
its pictured on the previous page

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #88 of 169
Nice to hear what other people are doing, thanks.

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #89 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the third option does not allow for balanced operation, having a minijack at the end of the cable, then plugged into a balanced connector would not be balanced, that would be like saying putting XLR to RCA adaptors on a dac and then running rca to your amp is balanced, its not true, and actually i think ray may have said not to do this in the protector thread. If your headphone cable has a minijack on the end just the the minijack on the protector, no need for an adaptor.

Thanks for this! So let me see if I get this straight: If I plan to use my regular Twag cable with the 3.5 mm termination to a female 3.5 mm to balanced termination adaptor would that be not balanced?? I ordered last week the adaptor so basically I bought a useless item?

Might have to send my Twag cable to Craig to be re-terminated since I don't have money to get another Twag cable with balanced termination.

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #90 of 169
Quote:

Thanks for this! So let me see if I get this straight: If I plan to use my regular Twag cable with the 3.5 mm termination to a female 3.5 mm to balanced termination adaptor would that be not balanced?? I ordered last week the adaptor so basically I bought a useless item?

Might have to send my Twag cable to Craig to be re-terminated since I don't have money to get another Twag cable with balanced termination.

Correct, if your chain is headphones -> 3.5mm male -> 3.5mm female -> Protector male -> protector, you will not be getting balanced, and as i said, i believe ray said not to do that in the protector thread, something about grounds, just use the 3.5mm female jack that is next to the balanced connector. or get your twag recabled like i think im going too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back