Tutorial: Padded Leather Headband for Grados (with pics!)
Aug 10, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #61 of 82
This makes me whant to go modding
smily_headphones1.gif

Really do like the black leather white thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope i can find a pair of cheap grados that i can mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #62 of 82
icon10.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, kontai69. Excellent mod. You rock! I wanted to stitch mine as well to give it that professional look. I made the holes using my mom's sewing machine since I figured it'd be too tough to evenly space each hole to punch through with a awl. Then I stitched it with white kite string to give some contrast.

Great job dragonma!
Nice that you had access to a sewing machine to make the holes. As you said, manually using an awl to make the holes would be extremely tedious and it would look uneven in the end.

I guess it must have taken a long time to manually stitch your headband. I had to restitch (by hand) the stock headband on my MS-Pro since the thread was starting to unravel. It took me over 2 hours. I used black upholstery thread.

FWIW, my unstitched headband (the one shown on my SR225 in this thread) is still holding up perfectly after a couple months of use. No split edges or anything. Then again, I baby my headphones.
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #64 of 82
shok.gif
Wow...if you bring out a mass production of these aluminium thingies you'll propably find lots of customers... ***gets greedy***

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #65 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shok.gif
Wow...if you bring out a mass production of these aluminium thingies you'll propably find lots of customers... ***gets greedy***

Not likely, these took be the better part of a week to cut shape file and drill (took longer as i was working out as i went, granted) and they're not the easiest things to install either.

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #66 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

I guess it must have taken a long time to manually stitch your headband. I had to restitch (by hand) the stock headband on my MS-Pro since the thread was starting to unravel. It took me over 2 hours. I used black upholstery thread.

It really didn't take too long to stitch...just about 45 minutes. I'll have to admit now that given my grados the beauty treatment...its given me the urge to want listen to my headphones more and more. I think they call it headfi-itis.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #68 of 82
Thanks to Kontai69's mod, I came out with something a little different ,but only because I couldn't keep the layers of leather together with the felt in place, even with the contact cement, so I skipped that part and came out with this.
Thanks Kontai69.
DSCF1852.jpg

DSCF1855.jpg

DSCF1853.jpg

DSCF1847.jpg

DSCF1848.jpg

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #69 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not likely, these took be the better part of a week to cut shape file and drill (took longer as i was working out as i went, granted) and they're not the easiest things to install either.

What I absolutely don't get is how you got the slash for the feather steel headband into the thingies.
confused.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #71 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing that is just felt with no leather? Where did you buy it?

Do you mean just leather no felt?

or do you really mean felt no leather?

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #72 of 82
what is it exactly? By the pictures, looks like just felt no leather.

Am I right? I want to know where to buy felt material like that

but going by your first post, sounded like this is leather without the felt...all confused...

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #73 of 82
Quote:

what is it exactly? By the pictures, looks like just felt no leather.

Am I right? I want to know where to buy felt material like that

but going by your first post, sounded like this is leather without the felt...all confused...

Oh Sorry about that, It's straight up leather, no felt,

You see, the thing is that I work at a car dealership, where sometimes people have their seats replaced, Well when I saw that the mechanics where getting ready to dump a leather seat, I took the opportunity, to cut out the leather, seatcover, then i turned it inside out, cause I thought it would look cooler having the raw leather showing, anyways I hope that help to answer your question,

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #74 of 82
Quote:

Where can I find felt padding?

Any fabric store should have it. I think it is sold by the yard (or meter).

Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to Kontai69's mod, I came out with something a little different ,but only because I couldn't keep the layers of leather together with the felt in place, even with the contact cement, so I skipped that part and came out with this.
Thanks Kontai69.

Thanks and nice job on the headband and being resourceful on getting free leather.

When I was making headbands, I found that the width of the felt padding is difficult to get right. Too wide and the bottom leather piece won't securely glue down. Too narrow and the headband will be inadequately padded. A few millimeters makes a big difference!

Looking at it, deleting the felt padding altogether is not a bad idea. If the bottom leather piece is thick enough, it should offer decent enough padding on its own without any internal padding. It will also simplify assembly.

I think the "fuzzy" leather you used is called suede. My only concern with using it is that it will absorb "scalp oil" over time and may stain and discolor in the future.

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #75 of 82
how do yu get the contact cement to not goop up?

Is there any way to remove the excess contact cement from the sides of the leather?

also, does the DAP cement have a strong glue smell? The smell of my glue covers up the smell of the leather...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back