Tutorial: Padded Leather Headband for Grados (with pics!)
Aug 13, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #76 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do yu get the contact cement to not goop up?

I spread it around quickly. The solvent in the adhesive starts to dry pretty fast. If you wait too long it will "goop up" when you try to spread it.

Quote:

Is there any way to remove the excess contact cement from the sides of the leather?

Yes. After it dries up, rub off the excess with your fingers. That is the nice thing about using contact cement over other types of adhesives. After it dries, it leaves a rubber-like residue that is easy to remove.

Quote:

also, does the DAP cement have a strong glue smell? The smell of my glue covers up the smell of the leather...

Yes, it is smelly and gives me a headache after a while. It goes away after the solvent evaporates completely in a few days. My headband is 2 months old and I don't smell even a trace of glue, just the nice leather aroma.

As I said to others, I bet you are seeing firsthand why they take me 2 hours to make each and why I was charging $35 for them when I was producing them.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #78 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I absolutely don't get is how you got the slash for the feather steel headband into the thingies.
confused.gif

Yeah, that was a bit of a headache. Originally i was going to try and make a new headband like the HP1000 with a round bar, but when i tried it on it was far too stiff, so i oversized the hole enough for the stock headband to fit into, and it's held in place with the screws you can see. The hole is covered up by the leather of the headband. It's not perfect, but it works.

May 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #81 of 82
As far as sourcing out usable leather at a decent price, has anyone tried thrift stores for old leather jackets? I would think even though it would be hit and miss as far as finding a decent jacket, but once you did you would have quite a bit of leather for many headbands. I think that's what I will try once I am ready to mod my Grados.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #82 of 82
What about leather belts? Too thick?

Also, I read a tutorial on indestructables that said a four prong fork can help make evenly spaced templates for drilled holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back