Tutorial: Padded Leather Headband for Grados (with pics!)
May 10, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #16 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kontai69, excellent instructional sequence of photos and text. Clear, simple, economical language. You're either a natural DIY instructor or you spent a lot of time putting this tutorial together. Dunno what your profession is, but you could make a very comfortable living publishing DIY material. I don't even have these cans, but I read the entire piece, viewing all the pix. Good job!

Thanks! I'm actually a molecular biologist. Having written up several manuscripts as well as protocols, I kind of have experience writing how-to's. I put this one together mainly as a mental excise on a slow day at work. I figured that I would have gotten flooded with "How did you make it?" questions anyways.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados should soon become available with a padded leather band either as standard or an option.

I agree. At least they could make it out of "pleather" or something for the cheaper models. I read in an old post that Grado used to allow anyone to buy the "headband assembly" with the leather headband for around $40. I guess they must have got flooded with requests that they now refuse to allow the purchase.

Knowing about this restriction ahead of time, I did manage to "trick" them into letting me buy one so I can install it on an SR-60 I used to own a while ago.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I wasn't comfortable tricking them again when I got my MS-1, so I decided to make one myself.

May 10, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 82
superb and detailed tutorial..
i'll do it to my sr60 later...

May 11, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #18 of 82
Success! I used brown leatherette and went for the 'ultra padded' option. Didn't quite get the measurements right, so had to trim the ends down a little, so they're a bit fat. Might have another go at a later date...

Colour balance sucks on this one...
hfh1.jpg

hfh2.jpg

hfh3.jpg

May 11, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #19 of 82
That look fine and ultra-comfortable.
eek.gif

May 11, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Success! I used brown leatherette and went for the 'ultra padded' option. Didn't quite get the measurements right, so had to trim the ends down a little, so they're a bit fat. Might have another go at a later date...

Nice job! Yours looks alot more comfy than mine. As you have already found out, with this project, getting everything just right takes alot of trial and error.
biggrin.gif

The thin layer of Grado foam in my headband compresses too easily. I'm trying to find a foam that is more dense that will allow the use a thinner foam while giving good comfort.

May 11, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 82
Nice job! I think the headband would look even better and more professional with some stitches though. Like the RS-1 etc. headband.

May 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice job! I think the headband would look even better and more professional with some stitches though. Like the RS-1 etc. headband.

I agree ... trouble is finding a sewing machine with enough oomph to punch through 3 layers of leather(ette) and a chunk of cardboard. Still, this is just the first attempt, i'm sure the design can be improved upon in time
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #23 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thin layer of Grado foam in my headband compresses too easily. I'm trying to find a foam that is more dense that will allow the use a thinner foam while giving good comfort.

What do you think of foamed latex?

May 12, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #24 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think of foamed latex?

I think I have an idea what that stuff is like. Where is a good source?
Right now I'm thinking layering sheets of velvet for the cushioning.

May 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I have an idea what that stuff is like. Where is a good source?

It can be found in these special orthopedical pillows that support the neck. Also stumbled upon it as core material of motorcycle setees in my younger days. Maybe it's also possible to pinch something from HQ bed mattreses which also have layers of that stuff.

The good thing about foamed latex is its relative undestructability, whereas "normal" foam tends to lose its ability of decompression in the course of time and sometimes even disintegrates to dust.

May 12, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 82
Made a second version, still not quite right, but better i think. I used a little less padding (coarser less dense foam), and before i covered the card form, i superglued 2 pieces of wire (~2mm thick) along the edges of the top, to give it a little more thickness...

mk2a.jpg

mk2b.jpg

Still had to trim the ends, so it's a bit too fat, and i might have nicked the leatherette in a couple of places. I'll see if it's third time lucky.

May 12, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #27 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a little less padding (coarser less dense foam), and before i covered the card form. i might have nicked the leatherette in a couple of places. I'll see if it's third time lucky.

Looking at my how-to, I'm going to mention that you need to shorten and taper the ends of the cardboard frame before wrapping with leather.

What foam are you using? I'm going to try to "repad" mine using layered velvet since the Grado foam compresses too much.

You may also try to mask the edges with tape before the final trimming to prevent accidental nicking of wrapped edge.

Good luck on the third!

May 12, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 82
So far i've just used whatever i cold get hold of. First one was foam from a camera case (the kind you cut out as you want, to fit the components you have inside) the second was *i think* packing foam from the box of a hard drive that i got ages ago.

May 13, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #29 of 82
I took apart my "masterpiece" shown in the pics above. Wow, the contact cement holds VERY tightly, so I can't imagine that it would "fall apart" under normal use.

Anyways, I replaced the foam and used two layers of velvet instead for cushioning. The headband now is more comfortable. The layered velvet offers firm but supportive cushioning and is not easily compressed.

I modified the "recipe."

May 13, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 82
Think i got it right this time. I actually wised up and test fitted the card form before i put the leather on, and again before i applied the foam and adhesive, so i got the length and shape the way i wanted:

mk3a.jpg

mk3b.jpg

Now if only i could get it stiched...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back