wink.gif

md

I couldn't agree more!

Keep it analog,
NGF

Feb 16, 2003 at 10:37 AM Post #19 of 49
As a newbie
smily_headphones1.gif
tought I'd post my thoughts on turntable suggestions...
Have owned a Rega Planar 3....fantastic sound, easy to set-up and maintain, needs careful placement (like all good trunatables!), great value second hand, probablay had the best sound per pound ratio of any vinyl sourrce I've owned.
Have had an Linn Sondek LP12 since 1988..never regretted spending the hard earned cash and LOVE the sound the accessibilty to the music. Have moved far too many times in that time but with careful packaging (always in the original box) has been fine (the Linn gets more careful treatment than car passengers!!). Yes it is difficult to set-up, mine is always done by a dealer, but providing, you transport it as above it stays set-up, needing only annual maintenance...we all service our cars, airplanes etc on a regular basis so why not such a wonderful piece of precision engineering as a Linn.
Ferraris and Porsches are swines to set-up and maintain but do you hear owners "bitchin" about it when they are driving them..think not they just enjoy the experience
tongue.gif

So IMHO Rega= great Choice, Linn = Fantastic Choice
But the decision is yours..close your eyes and listen...(although watching the precision instruments is a joy).
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2003 at 10:47 AM Post #20 of 49
PS There are better TT's outhere, its just that over the years the Linn has become a trusted friend (albeit a very biased one!) and the cost of changing outweighed the sonic benefits.

Feb 16, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 49
I have read a lot about the Linn and it is rather interesting how sooo many people compare the new MMF-7 or 9 or the Regas or VPI Scout to the Linn. It's as if the Linn is the benchmark even after all these years. Like the HD600/580 or Grado RS1. The staples take a beating with new gear hitting the market...but in the end...everyone uses them as the benchmark and goes back to them.

I have thought about a Linn but I have this nightmarish feeling it will just suck because it is so finicky. Let's be honest here though...my last TT was a Fisher Price blue all-in-one. So..I figure anything will do better, or nearly. Though, if I drop 1500 on a TT/arm/cart combo I would like it to sound good.

I live in Ottawa and there are 2 dealers who deal with TT's that I know of and I assume one of them could help me out (Omer from OZ Enterprises).

I'll keep researching and will make my final decision this summer when I am ready to buy.

Feb 16, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 49
Since my high school years, I've owned a number of turntables including Sony, Garrard, B&O Beogram, Dual, etc. I now have a Rega P3/ Benz Glider/ EAR 834P combo and this is my upgrade. I know there's stuff available that is far better, but for me, this is Shangri La...

There's no doubt that I will upgrade a few years down the road, however, for now, my music bone is tickled every time I listen to this rig. I just throw on a record, settle back, and let the music wash over me.

It's been said before, but I'll repeat: The Rega is relatively easy to set up and once this is accomplished, very little tweaking (if any) is necessary. You just spin your records and enjoy!

wink.gif

Feb 16, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #23 of 49
I like the Rega idea since I can buy the TT and cart I want with the table and just sell the table later and go for something like the Scout or Teres and not worry. It is certainly an idea. Now...P3 or P25?

Feb 16, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #24 of 49
I know the P25 is a very fine turntable and the only reason I would suggest the P3 is, from what I understand, once you get into the money bracket of the P25, a bunch of other options open up... several which are supposed to be better for the mulah.

i.e., VPI Scout...Linn, etc.

You have to remember that you'll need a nice cartridge and phono stage to make the package complete!

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 49
Well,I currently own 21 tables and have owned another 50 or so not counting all those I sold as a dealer.I have heard many,many more.I sometimes make generalized statements about some gear but those thoughts are usually reinforced in print by respected reviewers.The comments I previously made about all Regas running fast was recently observed in practice in two print mags.The comments about all Linns being finnicky and difficult to set up has been reaffirmed by many new Linn owners on the forums of most of the audio boards.I try to make comments based on my experiences and not info passed on to me by other sources.I know everyone does'nt have the opportunity to audition every peice of gear they consider purchasing so I try to temper my words to void them of any derogatory comments which may offend.I really don't like any Rega table and I think the Linn LP12 has been hyped for far too long.They are all good tables but not nearly as accurate or easy to set-up as the most basic Musichall table or VPI or Sumiko or countless other tables which have been designed to modern playback standards.

One of the most frustrating things I encounter are the owners of Rega tables who have become accustomed to the "Rega Sound" and think there is something wrong with every other analog rig around.I had a guy at my house who insisted that one of my tables was running slow.We checked it with a stobe and laser and it was dead-on,we checked his P-9 and it was running 2% fast.He liked the sound of his rig and I guess that's all that matters,but it just ain't accurate.Same thing goes for the Linn crowd,have you ever been able to install and set-up an arm and cartridge in under a few hours?Did the table every sound right after the first time you accidentally bumped into it?I watched a guy spend three hours tweaking and adjusting a Linn all the while pulling out his hair.After all this the table sounded terrible.He ended up just playing with it until it sounded right,ignoring any measurements or adjustment guidelines.My own experiences with Rega and Linn tables(I own two Linns and two Regas) are equally frustrating.I think both these tables could use a major redesign which would bring them into this century.

I happen to like the Gyrodec a lot.It is not easy to set up but sounds great when it is and holds the adjustments well.Arm choice is crucial with that table and I would suggest you talk to dealer who sets the up regularly.

My money stays with the VPI Scout.I have one and it is one of the very best tables I have ever heard regardless of price.I would give it "awesome budget component" status but the price is just a bit higher than my $1200 limit.

Feb 16, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #27 of 49
Thank you tuberoller for the VERY informative post. I'll keep reading and researching. The Scout does seem grand and at $1500 with arm and cart it isn't beyond my budget. If I can get it cheaper I will. Under $1200 would be awesome.

Feb 16, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #29 of 49
I was looking at the Scout, but in a rare fit of restraint held myself to the Music Hall MMF-7 (demo from Decibel Audio via e-bay). The auction price made the difference much wider. I'm using a Dynavector 10x Gold L with it. The cartridge was on sale from Music Direct, come to think of it. Chicago has been good to me
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #30 of 49
I took some pics of one of the Scouts I bought with the Dynavector 10X4 factory installed.Most of the others I had came without the cartridge.Check out the Scout pics and see the really great build quality.The $1500 price belies the incredible performance of this table.I have an Extended Aries and a HW-19 MKIV as well as a HR-X on the way(which is the last VPI table I bought while still a dealer).The included JMW-9 arm is one of the best arms I have ever used.Only the Clearaudio Unify comes close.The JMW-9 is easily adjustable in every way except anti-skating.I hesitated to recommend these while I was dealer because of obvious conflicts of interest.If you guys want I will write a full review of this table as well as the Aries and HW-19 and maybe the Clearaudio Unify arm.I am still working on getting a few more Phono amps together to do a shootout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back