Turntable suggestions wanted
Jan 16, 2003 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
Although I don't know if it'd be worth upgrading from my existing set-up, I'm interested in suggestions of turntables in the $1k ballpark (w/ arm). Nothing too tweaky or fragile.

I pretty much know what's out there. Thing is, you never get an opportunity to actually compare the way they sound. Even quality audio stores don't usually have more than one or two at each price point, and they're usually in different rooms with different cartridges and hooked up to different systems.

So any listening impressions would be appreciated.

For a side question: anyone heard the Denon DP47 in a good system? I used to use the predecessor models (DP 57? 62?) at a listening library in the 80s (with their mediocre headphones). They're built like tanks and I love the looks. But I sure tend to doubt it stacks up sonically to similarly priced belt drive, manual models from Rega, Project, MMF, etc. Then again, with economies of scale and years of design updates, who knows?

Jan 17, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 49
For that price, i'd either go for a second hand Linn LP12, a Basis - 1400 Turntable Basis - 1400, or a Pink Triangle Tarantella.
Be warned that the linn is rather difficult to set up properly.

If you want to get something new, go for a Music Hall MMF-7, perhaps the new Bluenote Deck-12 (needledoctor) If you can afford it, shoot for a Clearaudio Champion, which is an awesome table. Out of all of these, the Clearaudio and the takes top honors.

Edit... I forgot to mention the Pro-Ject perspective, which comes with arm and cartridge! That would be the one i recommend most for ya!

Jan 17, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 49
Shoot, i didn't know if you had a cartridge already or not!

If you don't, Just get a decent, quiet budget table (thorens, rega, sota), then get an Origin Live arm and a good cartridge.

My favorite cartridge is the Accuphase AC-2, because of it's air and clarity. Dynavectors are always nice too. The sumiko blue point special is also worth looking into. IMO it's worth it to get a less expensive table if you can get away with a MC cartridge. Just make sure to do some research on the tonearm you are using, and find out which carts sound best with it...

e.g. Sumiko arms tend to sound good with sumiko or goldring cartridges, With rega arms, it's best to stay away from grado.etc

Try to find these little facts on the vinyl asylum before making any final decisions.

Good luck to ya! Analog bliss is just a few expensive clicks away.

Edit: check this guy's site out, he knows what he's talking about

http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html#List

Jan 17, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 49
zowie,

Depends on how hip you are to setup and how much adjustability you're looking for. I prefer the Rega tables to the Music Halls since Regas get speed and dynamics better to my ears (yay PRaT) and the tonearm can follow you should you upgrade. I think the Music Hall MMF-7 is a good turntable properly set up, the Rega P3 can be a very good turntable that keeps me involved as a listener. Regas are special, especially at their price, once you hear one you'll understand. Both the Music Hall and Rega are relatively easy to setup.

As Tim noted you can get a used Basis 1400 with a Rega RB300 in your price range, it'll give you the black backgrounds and stable speed that the Rega can't, but it also sounds a little dry and sterile. When I was upgrading from a Planar 3 I decided to pass on the Basis (using the same Orgin Live RB250 I was using with the Rega), it just wasn't what I was looking for. In the end a VPI Scout (with JMW tonearm) was my answer, $500 more than your budget but its one hell of a setup that doesn't make me wonder about upgrades. And it outclasses the EAR 834p phono stage.

You could go with an entry level VPI and a Rega arm as well, but unless you're looking to upgrade that stick with a P3. VPI offers a good upgrade path for the TNT line as well as adjustability. Have you already settled on your cartridge and phono stage?

carlo.

Jan 17, 2003 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 49
Yeah, I used to have a P2, and it was great when it worked, but then i got cable problems and ended up selling it. (i hated the fact that the rega arm didn't have any sort of DIN connector)

I'm sure with a newer rega, that wouldn't be any problem.

edit: shoot carlo!! your in huntington beach!! we've gotta have an SoCal meet one of these days.

Jan 17, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 49
Thanks for the replies guys.

The Scout/JMW combo is VERY appealing, but I'm not sure I want to go for that much money. I'll keep thinking about it though.

Sumiko: it looks like a nice piece, but I'd read something about quality control issues a few years ago. Anyone know anything about that? How would you describe the sound?

Basis: High on my list of contenders.

Linn: I've heard it and really liked it (not sure which upgrades) - it just seemed to make music so captivating - but with the difficult set up and maintenance issues, I'm not crazy about the idea of a used one.

Anyone know anything about the Kuzma?

Feb 13, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 49
Well, the moment of truth is upon me because a great deal that's available is about to end.

MMF-7/Eroica vs. Scout/JMW9/Dynavector.

There's no question about which is better. The question is whether it's worth paying about double for the Scout setup (even with the great deal, because I'd still need to add an interconnect and ideally a dustcover).

And if I let the deal go, there's always some good choices in between like the Pro-ject and Clearaudio, or a used P9 (not a great value at new price in North America) [edit: I meant P25, not the P9, which is out of range].

Help is appreciated.

Feb 13, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 49
Hmmm.. for that price, why not try the new top-of-the line MMF-9 that was just unveiled at CES. It comes with a really nice ortofon cart i understand.

Feb 13, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 49
Take the Scout combo.For those in the know this is the analog deal of the Century.I have heard all of the tables mentioned here and all of VPI's tables.Guess what?The Scout actually sounds better than all the VPI tables except for the New HRX.

Feb 13, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Regas are special, especially at their price, once you hear one you'll understand.

I agree. I am especially happy with my P25 with Micro Benz Glider L2. The P25's upgrade arm and cables make it a bargain if you can go $1,275.

Feb 14, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 49
Not to diminish anyone else around here, but Da Tuberoller's got my vote for most trustworthy head-fi'er: I ordered the Scout, it should arrive in about 4 weeks (they're back ordered almost everywhere).

Thanks to everyone for providing information and advice. Now would someone please buy my AR.

Feb 15, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 49
Check out the new Nottingham Analogue Horizon, comes with a Rega arm, and if it's anything like it's bigger siblings, out to be fantastic! I own an Interspace, and it's a great turntable. NA Horizon
Andrew

EDIT: BTW, it's price is under $1000

Feb 15, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 49
Pink Floyd how is the Gyrodec? Tuberoller have you ever heard one? I know carlo was thinking about one but never had to opportunity to listen.

I have purchased my first record and have it as my goal to buy a tt. I was thinking Teres 255 with an OL Silver and Shelter 501 but that will cost a bundle so to start off and make sure I love vinyl..I was thinking MMF-7, Rega P3 with an OL Silver or the VPI Scout. Could the Scout actually be an end to upgrading? If it is THAT good, I would much rather just buy it and stop there. I hate the upgrade cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back