TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #1,833 of 3,585
  VPI 16.5 and a Magic Eraser for the stylus.

Magic Eraser? Interesting. I am just now really getting serious about vinyl and would like to know what is the general consensus of a high value to end result method in cleaning records and associated turntable pieces? Hand washing vinyl? Magic eraser for stylus? Carbon fiber brush for dust? Thanks guys.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #1,834 of 3,585
Can I ask what you guys are using for cleaning your records and stylus?

VPI Typhoon RCM for cleaning records and LAST stylus cleaner for the cartridge.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,835 of 3,585
VPI Typhoon RCM for cleaning records and LAST stylus cleaner for the cartridge.

Skylab, thank you for the recommendations, I can understand the stylus cleaner, but the $2,300 record cleaner doesn't fit my personal view of high value : performance product lol. I was thinking something under $500...

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,836 of 3,585
  Skylab, thank you for the recommendations, I can understand the stylus cleaner, but the $2,300 record cleaner doesn't fit my personal view of high value : performance product lol. I was thinking something under $500...

Grab a Record Doctor V from AudioAdvisor.  $199.00

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,837 of 3,585

I was replying to JamieMcC's query, not you. I edited my post to make that clear.

The VPI 16.5 is the way to go for more affordable record cleaning machines, IMO. It makes a HUGE difference in the quality of vinyl playback.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,838 of 3,585
I have a 16.5. I agree, practically essential. Forgot that I also have a magic eraser piece I use. I also have one of the bulb blowers you squeeze that are sold to the camera crowd to keep dust of their lense. I also have a Hunt or Goldring or whatever brush for the records. And a MoFi brush too. And a Zerostat gun.

Among an Orbitrac cleaner and Last Power Cleaner.

Lotsa stuff. All worth the investment.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,839 of 3,585
I have a 16.5. I agree, practically essential. Forgot that I also have a magic eraser piece I use. I also have one of the bulb blowers you squeeze that are sold to the camera crowd to keep dust of their lense. I also have a Hunt or Goldring or whatever brush for the records. And a MoFi brush too. And a Zerostat gun.

Among an Orbitrac cleaner and Last Power Cleaner.

Lotsa stuff. All worth the investment.

How do you work the magic eraser? Do you just drop the needle onto it with no pressure, or move the sponge in a horizontal motion?

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,840 of 3,585
Drop the needle down on top. Zero other movement for safety purposes. I've seen little stands built to raise a piece of eraser. I used to put the piece on the platter. Now, I take my tonearm out of the rest but leave it on top, and with my hand raise the eraser up and down a few times making contact with the stylus. Be careful to not cause deflection.

Long time ago I read to unlock your tonearm from the rest so it's free to move upwards in case you use the brush on the stylus a little too aggressively. That will allow the arm to float and save itself from damage. I do the same with the eraser.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,842 of 3,585
Thanks for the feed back guys plenty there to digest. Decided to give the magic eraser method a go there are a couple of youtube vids which look straight forward and I will do a bit more research on record cleaners.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,843 of 3,585
  Thanks for the feed back guys plenty there to digest. Decided to give the magic eraser method a go there are a couple of youtube vids which look straight forward and I will do a bit more research on record cleaners.

I am also a new budget minded vinyl ..person. 

When I was looking around, I decided on the Mr Clean Magic eraser, audioquest carbon brush and if I did end up getting a record cleaning machine, the spin clean record washer.
alternatives were the mobile fidelity stylus cleaner and cleaning brush, and same record washer. 
and ofcourse the mofi inner sleeves :) 

Not really new information but from a like minded budget person :) 

Cheaper alternative would be some spit, your shirt and some elbow grease :) :) :) 
wink.gif

(If its not clear...... NO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back