TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Nov 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,801 of 3,585
  I'll be keeping my eyes glued to this thread then! I have been seriously considering going this route, but something homebrew from someone passionate as yourself definitely has me reconsidering. 
biggrin.gif

I have seen this "route" before - not a bad one.

Speaking of passion : http://rebloggy.com/post/photoset-60s-the-addams-family-gomez-addams-morticia-addams-hookahr1/14423880249

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,802 of 3,585
Nov 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,805 of 3,585
Nov 3, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #1,807 of 3,585
  After nearly 30 years of digital, I decided to dust off the old records with a vintage Technics SL-20...

Neptune shown here, spinning at 33.3 rpm.  Out of this world!

Rediscovering vinyl has been a enjoyable experience here also. Not only through speakers but also the headphones which I tend to use much more often now.

A revelation for me has been that undoubtedly my 20 year old cd player is the weakest component in my audio chain and to be honest I had been very happy with how things have sounded. That was until my journey into listening with headphones started with a Marantz NA7004 used as a stand alone bedroom  headphone rig with my cd's ripped for streaming losslessly.I was hearing lots of details better timbre and texture to vocals that I was just not getting when using the downstairs cd/speakers system.

Removing the old cd player or the  from the mix and using the turntable or Marantz as my source the amp and speakers have proved more capable than I had given them credit for.

Now I will have to route around the box's for some Sandy & Danny I know they are here somewhere.  Looking forward to adding to my small vinyl collection.

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,808 of 3,585
Nov 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,810 of 3,585
  John,
What turntable are you planning on getting?

The kickstarter dropped at the end of janurary 2013.... after many production delays (4x as many orders than predicted) and quality control (some producers could not meet the quality standards because of the 4x increase in products needed given the original time frame) supposed to ship out in november. THIS MONTH!!! (talking about Orbit Plus and not original Orbit)

http://uturnaudio.com/store/orbit-plus-turntable-black

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,811 of 3,585
John,
  The kickstarter dropped at the end of janurary 2013.... after many production delays (4x as many orders than predicted) and quality control (some producers could not meet the quality standards because of the 4x increase in products needed given the original time frame) supposed to ship out in november. THIS MONTH!!! (talking about Orbit Plus and not original Orbit)

http://uturnaudio.com/store/orbit-plus-turntable-black

I honestly believe the OM-5E should suffice you well enough for a while. It would be best to invest into a better phono preamp than a cartridge in this case.

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #1,812 of 3,585
  John,
I honestly believe the OM-5E should suffice you well enough for a while. It would be best to invest into a better phono preamp than a cartridge in this case.

I second that. Both Ortofon OM and 2M ranges take better styli within the range and although 2M red/blue is different cart than bronze/black, the most difference remains in the stylus. 2M is ultimately better because of mechanical properties ( rigidity, OM body "pillar" is too flexy for offering the stylus to extract max possible information from the groove ) - but I would recommend getting 2M blue as minimum. You can get Digitrac 300 stylus for any OM style Ortofon - it is an Ortofon Stylus 30 in disguise ( only requiring you to cut off the tab preventing proper insertion of the stylus into the OM body ), Fine Line tip profile, which will roughly make an equivalent to 2M bronze at substantially less cost.

After I got out of curiosity inexpensive TC 750 phono stage, I hardly find justifying better phono stage in low(er) price bracket(s). It certainly can be improved upon, but better TT/arm/cart/stylus will yield you better SQ . TC 750 is light years superiour to even the performance of the best TT/arm/cart - and for a MM cart it is "enough" to get you started. Of course there are better phono stages - but if the rig can not extract information from the groove, it makes little sense to amplify that (poor) signal better.

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #1,813 of 3,585
  John,

I second that. Both Ortofon OM and 2M ranges take better styli within the range and although 2M red/blue is different cart than bronze/black, the most difference remains in the stylus. 2M is ultimately better because of mechanical properties ( rigidity, OM body "pillar" is too flexy for offering the stylus to extract max possible information from the groove ) - but I would recommend getting 2M blue as minimum. You can get Digitrac 300 stylus for any OM style Ortofon - it is an Ortofon Stylus 30 in disguise ( only requiring you to cut off the tab preventing proper insertion of the stylus into the OM body ), Fine Line tip profile, which will roughly make an equivalent to 2M bronze at substantially less cost.

After I got out of curiosity inexpensive TC 750 phono stage, I hardly find justifying better phono stage in low(er) price bracket(s). It certainly can be improved upon, but better TT/arm/cart/stylus will yield you better SQ . TC 750 is light years superiour to even the performance of the best TT/arm/cart - and for a MM cart it is "enough" to get you started. Of course there are better phono stages - but if the rig can not extract information from the groove, it makes little sense to amplify that (poor) signal better.

Thanks for the input! I just wish buying used cartridges especially from ebay wasn't so sketch, but I think analogsurviver has forever struck fear into my heart about record damage. I'm a poor man playing a rich man's game :/

I currently have the Pro-Ject Phono Box SE, non version II. Not really sure how that ranks within the Pro-ject line-up (maybe old DS version?). I think I have mostly everything I need to get into this vinyl thing. Just need my turntable! 

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #1,814 of 3,585
John,
  Thanks for the input! I just wish buying used cartridges especially from ebay wasn't so sketch, but I think analogsurviver has forever struck fear into my heart about record damage. I'm a poor man playing a rich man's game :/

I currently have the Pro-Ject Phono Box SE, non version II. Not really sure how that ranks within the Pro-ject line-up (maybe old DS version?). I think I have mostly everything I need to get into this vinyl thing. Just need my turntable! 

Your phono stage should treat you well. Just take proper care of your records and enjoy the music. I agree with analogsurviver in the sense of making the 2m Blue the upgrade path instead of the 2m Red, I think you will notice the upgrade much more. In the end, just remember that the only rich man's game should be the music, in which case all else is just an anomaly. :wink:

Cheers!

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #1,815 of 3,585

Phono Box SE I remember from my retail days, it was/still is a decent phono stage. No need to upgrade at this stage.

Strucking the fear of record damage into the marrow of anyone's bones WAS my intention. The Digitrac 300 stylus will yield you safety and SQ perhaps 60 % of ultimately achievable at any cost - for a VERY reasonable outlay. If anyone thinks the path to everywhere I go is lined with 500 Euro notes falling out of my pockets - it is unfortunately the other way around. BUT I do insist on minimum standards that should ensure well being of my records - sound quality be damned, if the funds do not permit "more".

And any "apprenticeship" with adjustments etc are better performed on low priced gear - in your case, Stylus 5E can be "trashed around" for considerably less than say Digitrac 300, but will equally allow you to learn everything but slightly increased sensitivity of Fine Line stylus regarding VTA versus the standard elliptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back