TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,771 of 3,585
I think I have been very fortunate the seller has been very helpful its obviously been well cared for all the parts look to be as described
"in excellent condition".  

A few pics

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,773 of 3,585
  How does the Nano sound? I've considered it along with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

I cant say for sure its to soon and I have little experience with such gear for me to say which part of the set up each part gives to make up the overall sonic character I am hearing as its a new set up for me.

However I will say I am very please with what I am hearing so far. Music seems very vibrant and engaging almost instant foot tapping from the first cord! Great vocals clear with nice texture to them.

Closing in on 1am here and work tomorrow so off for a sleep soon, just one more track first!

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,774 of 3,585
  Ok brunk thanks, I also changed out my rca's for ones with narrower shoulders and have more room now. I had also spoken with the seller who said the arm up for the cartridge was all set up and that I should not have to worry about alinging and setting for correct weight of the cartridge.

So I then had to chose from the pile what to play first this was more difficult than it sounds after some hesitancy I pulled from its sleeve

Paul-Simon-Graceland-vinyl-album-300x300.jpg
  + 
Jethro+Tull+-+Crest+Of+A+Knave+-+LP+RECORD-61992.jpg
+

Listening with headphones as my little one is fast asleep

Just sitting back with a big smile

Sweet

I cant say for sure its to soon and I have little experience with such gear for me to say which part of the set up each part gives to make up the overall sonic character I am hearing as its a new set up for me.

However I will say I am very please with what I am hearing so far. Music seems very vibrant and engaging almost instant foot tapping from the first cord! Great vocals clear with nice texture to them.

Closing in on 1am here and work tomorrow so off for a seep soon, just one more track first!

Very nice choice of tunes. Enjoy!

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,775 of 3,585

Closing in on 1am here and work tomorrow so off for a seep soon, just one more track first!

Vinyl is special, enjoy.
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,776 of 3,585
recently someone suggested i should go with a cambridge azur phono stage, but when i went to a local store, the store owner suggested i steered clear from cambridge completely.

my setup is now technics SL-7 with Grado gold-1 cartridge, amp probably the Woo Audio WA2, and headphones Grado PS1000.

so is cambridge really that bad, or is that salesman just biased?

another phono stage i might be getting is one of the sub-600 pro-ject ones. but i'm far from expert on this matter.

--CH23

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,777 of 3,585
I think the Cambridge is decent, but if you can find a deal on the pro-ject tube box ds... It is one of the best sub $1000 phono stages I have heard. The phono box rs is much better if you can stretch your budget.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, the bottle head reduction is supposedly quite good, although it will only work with MM carts unless you have a step-up transformer

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,779 of 3,585
  recently someone suggested i should go with a cambridge azur phono stage, but when i went to a local store, the store owner suggested i steered clear from cambridge completely.

my setup is now technics SL-7 with Grado gold-1 cartridge, amp probably the Woo Audio WA2, and headphones Grado PS1000.

another phono stage i might be getting is one of the sub-600 pro-ject ones. but i'm far from expert on this matter.

--CH23

Considering your budget, have you considered the Clearaudio Nano?

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,780 of 3,585
I've got nothing to add about the Cambridge and I usually never comment on gear I have not heard, but I'd offer two others for you to check out that I am pretty confident would be good to consider from recommendations of friends:

TTVJ always seems to be running a sale on his phono stage.  You'll be covered for MM and MC.  Possibly above your budget, but I'll bet a phone call might even get a better price?  http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Hybrid_Phono_Stage_p/aat0000165.htm

Well inside you budget: I know a few guys (I trust) who have had the Parasound ZPhono and said it was a great buy.  Again, you're covered for MM and MC. http://www.parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zphono.php

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,781 of 3,585

--CH23

I have a Cambridge Audio 540P. No complaints at all. Its clean, dynamic, has plenty of gain and has no perceived signature (i.e. it's seemingly transparent). Are there better ones out there? Sure. But I think the 540P, like a few reputable brands, is very near the threshold of diminishing returns. So far I've used it with 2 Technics, a Pioneer and recently a friends Rotel table. Its currently connected to a Realistic LAB-2200 linear tracker (new AT ep311 cartridge) that I bought for my nephew. FWIW I am a 20 year professional studio engineer. I am a purist at heart but I also chuckle at the ridiculous extremists. My experience with the Cambridge 540P has been positive. I recommend it.:D

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,782 of 3,585
I have a Cambridge Audio 540P. No complaints at all. Its clean, dynamic, has plenty of gain and has no perceived signature (i.e. it's seemingly transparent). Are there better ones out there? Sure. But I think the 540P, like a few reputable brands, is very near the threshold of diminishing returns. So far I've used it with 2 Technics, a Pioneer and recently a friends Rotel table. Its currently connected to a Realistic LAB-2200 linear tracker (new AT ep311 cartridge) that I bought for my nephew. FWIW I am a 20 year professional studio engineer. I am a purist at heart but I also chuckle at the ridiculous extremists. My experience with the Cambridge 540P has been positive. I recommend it.:D

At this moment, it seems that the Cambridge 540P or 641p might be my "weapon of choice"

I've got nothing to add about the Cambridge and I usually never comment on gear I have not heard, but I'd offer two others for you to check out that I am pretty confident would be good to consider from recommendations of friends:

TTVJ always seems to be running a sale on his phono stage.  You'll be covered for MM and MC.  Possibly above your budget, but I'll bet a phone call might even get a better price?  http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Hybrid_Phono_Stage_p/aat0000165.htm

Well inside you budget: I know a few guys (I trust) who have had the Parasound ZPhono and said it was a great buy.  Again, you're covered for MM and MC. http://www.parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zphono.php

The TTVJ one looks really interesting, the parasoundZ not that much.
I'll look into it.

Considering your budget, have you considered the Clearaudio Nano?

I'm drowning in a sea of phono stages XD

There also the Jolida JD9 and Bellari VP130, I've owned both.  If you change out the power supply in the VP130 and swap in a decent 12AX7 it's a very nice sounding preamp in the $200 range.

i'd rather pay some more and not having to mod it really...

I think the Cambridge is decent, but if you can find a deal on the pro-ject tube box ds... It is one of the best sub $1000 phono stages I have heard. The phono box rs is much better if you can stretch your budget.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, the bottle head reduction is supposedly quite good, although it will only work with MM carts unless you have a step-up transformer

i'm not too sure about tube amps, getting them replaced can be an absolute pain, as i don't know anything about them, and i live in the audio middle of nowhere (known to most as "The Netherlands")

so it's most likely going to be the Cambridge one.

My Grado Prestige Gold-1 just came in, and i really NEED to upgrade my amp and phonostage now.

Thanks, all!

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,783 of 3,585
The Parasound zPhono is quite good... I use the USB recording version and can definitely recommend it.  It sounds superb with both my Sound-smith Carmen and Denon DL-103 cartridges.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #1,785 of 3,585
Since people have been talking about phono stages.... a few deals:

TTVJ is running a deal of the day for his phono stage, only $495!  http://www.ttvjaudio.com/dealoftheday.asp

And DocB has a Reduction prototype for sale as well:

We have a few prototypes that we need to find new homes for so we have more space for more new prototypes! Contact Eileen at queen at bottlehead dot com or 206-451-4275 to purchase.

We have a Reduction phono preamp prototype with the Integration upgrade. It is a functional prototype, meaning that it looks the same as a production model on the outside and has the same parts as the production model, but there are some differences in layout and positioning of some components underneath. It comes with a finished base that may be slightly shopworn. Price is $575.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back