TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Sep 14, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,652 of 3,585

I had the 2M Red and 2M Blue on a few TTs, the Debut Carbon, Xpression III, Rega P3-24 and Music Hall MMF-5.  Personally I didn't see what all the fuss was about, I didn't care for it much and preferred the Denon and Goldring 10x2 line.  That being said I currently run a Grado Sonata and there are plenty of Grado haters out there so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  All I know is once I heard female vocals through it, I had to have it.

You also might want to checkout the Nine Cartridge Survey/comparison over on AnalogPlanet:  http://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridge-survey-produces-audible-results

I would download the files and listen before reading the results:  http://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridges-compared-reviewed-and-voting-results

A very good advice.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,653 of 3,585

AudioClassics has a Marantz TT15S1 over on Agon for around 1K (Offer less).  They say it's used but I'm pretty sure it's a Refurb with a 1 year warranty from Marantz which will come with a new sealed ClearAudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge.  (I bought mine from them).

So you get a Clearaudio Emotion with a thicker platter, better feet and IMHO better plinth with a $849 cartridge for less than 1K.  If you want to take it to another level, Clearaudio now offers a CMB upgrade specifically for the TT15S1.  It's $500 and has to be special ordered and ships from Germany.   So then you would have a Emotion SE with awesome cartridge for $1500.

http://www.clearaudio.de/_en/lw_Emotion%20SE.php

Also a very good bang for the buck advice. It is the same as in bicycle bussines - buying frame, wheelset, etc separately would run you silly money compared to good complete bike of the very same quality, especially if "Deal of the day" etc. Either of the above is VERY hard to meet or exceed for the $.

Rant - prices in Europe ... it would have never occured to me to look for a "quality budget" TT in Clearaudio (produced) line.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,654 of 3,585

A very good advice.

I found this very eye opening as to the laws of diminishing returns in audio gear.  I realize all the samples have gone through A/D conversion through an inexpensive DAC but it certainly gives one an idea as to how small the differences can be.  I'm sure the Continuum Caliburn/Anna combo sounds better in real life than through the sample but is it 75X better sounding than a Traveler and 2M Black?  I only wish I had personal knowledge to compare them, I doubt I will ever get to listen to a 150K turntable.

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,655 of 3,585
I'm currently using a Music Hall MMF-2.1 table with a Shure M97xe cart. The table is connected to a new Musical Fidelity V90-LPS and then to a Onkyo SR-608 receiver. Finally, I'm using Klipsch RF-52 series speakers in a 5.1 setup.

The MMF-2.1 is over 10 years old and the motor is acting up -- it refuses to turn at times and just vibrates. If I turn it off and manually turn the motor shaft a bit, I can feel it loosen up and then it will function for a few more days. I'm going to try oiling it but this may be enough to cause me to upgrade.

I've been eyeing up the Rega RP3 with the Elys 2 cart. I'm somewhat concerned that my receiver is a bottleneck though, and I am not planning on upgrading it for a few more years. What do you think? Will the Rega RP3 upgrade be noticeable with the SR608?

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,656 of 3,585
  I'm sure the Continuum Caliburn/Anna combo sounds better in real life than through the sample but is it 75X better sounding than a Traveler and 2M Black?

It depends on the rest of your setup.

I've been eyeing up the Rega RP3 with the Elys 2 cart. I'm somewhat concerned that my receiver is a bottleneck though, and I am not planning on upgrading it for a few more years. What do you think? Will the Rega RP3 upgrade but noticeable with the SR608?

Thanks!

It should be fine. Your next upgrade path could be the Fono MM phono preamp and the TT PSU power supply (both from Rega).

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,657 of 3,585
I finally fixed my Pro-Ject Debut lll, soldered the phono clips, pretty ugly job and frankly too embarrased to post the pics. With the Super OM-20 I have the equivalent of the 2M Blue.  Really sounds a lot better than the stock OM-5.  I'm still planning on upgrading, but at least I'm not as under the gun.

FYI $10 solder iron did the trick, bought it from Radio Shack.  I was going to buy a nicer iron but but the clerk told me there was no need to do that.  He actually seemed to have knowledge, a welcome change from the last few Best Buy and HH Gregg employees I talked to.

I'm still unsure how much to spend to hear a big enough audio difference to avoid another expensive upgrade after this upgrade?  $600 unit now to double, triple or quadruple?  My wife would kill me if I go too far above 2K.  

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,658 of 3,585
  I finally fixed my Pro-Ject Debut lll, soldered the phono clips, pretty ugly job and frankly too embarrased to post the pics. With the Super OM-20 I have the equivalent of the 2M Blue.  Really sounds a lot better than the stock OM-5.  I'm still planning on upgrading, but at least I'm not as under the gun.

FYI $10 solder iron did the trick, bought it from Radio Shack.  I was going to buy a nicer iron but but the clerk told me there was no need to do that.  He actually seemed to have knowledge, a welcome change from the last few Best Buy and HH Gregg employees I talked to.

I'm still unsure how much to spend to hear a big enough audio difference to avoid another expensive upgrade after this upgrade?  $600 unit now to double, triple or quadruple?  My wife would kill me if I go too far above 2K.  

The Regas are simple machines.  Mine seems to be trouble free and easy to use.  And, you know what?  It sounds really good.  My RP6 w/ 2M Black was about 2K but RP3 might be just right for you. Regas don't have head shells, the cartridge is mounted in the arm.  I don't mount cartridges anymore so I had my dealer do mine.  They've been doing this kind of job for 30-40 years.

Don't have a dealer?  Buy it over the interwebs and have them mount whatever you want and ship it to you.  Plug 'n Play.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,659 of 3,585

The Regas are simple machines.  Mine seems to be trouble free and easy to use.  And, you know what?  It sounds really good.  My RP6 w/ 2M Black was about 2K but RP3 might be just right for you. Regas don't have head shells, the cartridge is mounted in the arm.  I don't mount cartridges anymore so I had my dealer do mine.  They've been doing this kind of job for 30-40 years.

Don't have a dealer?  Buy it over the interwebs and have them mount whatever you want and ship it to you.  Plug 'n Play.

That is one of the two I'm looking at along with the Clearaudio Concept with either the 2M Black or MC cartridge.  RP6 and 2M black are cost equivalent. I was thinking of the RP3 but I don't want to upgrade and then in 1-2 years want to upgrade again.  

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,660 of 3,585
  I finally fixed my Pro-Ject Debut lll, soldered the phono clips, pretty ugly job and frankly too embarrased to post the pics. [edit]

Nice job!  Good soldering requires lots and lots of PRACTICE!  You should be proud that you got the sucker working again on your first try.  I can't count the number of times I wrecked gear trying to "fix" it with a soldering iron.  Those are tiny wires and tricky clips....cheers!

Hi-Five

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,661 of 3,585

Nice job!  Good soldering requires lots and lots of PRACTICE!  You should be proud that you got the sucker working again on your first try.  I can't count the number of times I wrecked gear trying to "fix" it with a soldering iron.  Those are tiny wires and tricky clips....cheers!

Hi-Five

The clips were literally hanging by small globs of solder the insulated sleeves wouldn't fit so I used thin strips of electrical tape.  Ugly but effective.  I had to adjust the counterweight for the weight differential.  It took a few tries but for $10 what the hell.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,662 of 3,585

I know you've had issues with the Pro-Ject, but why not just go for the Debut Carbon? You can upgrade to the acrylic platter and do a cartridge whenever you like. It isn't a Rega, but it won't break the bank and will last you for a long time.

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,663 of 3,585

SoundStage Direct still has some of the V1 VPI Travelers for $999.  That's is another great option. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,664 of 3,585
  I know you've had issues with the Pro-Ject, but why not just go for the Debut Carbon? You can upgrade to the acrylic platter and do a cartridge whenever you like. It isn't a Rega, but it won't break the bank and will last you for a long time.

I'm feeling better about the Po-Ject now that I fixed my blunder. Thank you for the feedback.

SoundStage Direct still has some of the V1 VPI Travelers for $999.  That's is another great option. 

VPI is in the mix as well for me, high quality turntables.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,665 of 3,585
I learned at the last meet from Eee Pee that my setup is fine and any upgrades would be inconsequential. Coming from a guy with mid/high level analog gear, I feel pretty good about saving money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back