TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Sep 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,667 of 3,585
Anyone have opinions on the new Rega RP40? I was considering an RP3 w/ TT-PSU but the RP40 is only $100 more...

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,669 of 3,585
Key Features
:
Custom matched TT-PSU.
Exclusive Red Silicon drive belt and Red Mat.
ExclusiveElys40 MM cartridge.
Stainless steel balance weight.
Aluminium foot trims and matching top brace.
Custom Titanium Plinth

I would say the upgraded belt and having the TT-PSU custom matched to your TT are worth the $100 extra clams.  I'm not sure how much different the cartridge is and the rest seems cosmetic.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #1,670 of 3,585
  Key Features
:
Custom matched TT-PSU.
Exclusive Red Silicon drive belt and Red Mat.
ExclusiveElys40 MM cartridge.
Stainless steel balance weight.
Aluminium foot trims and matching top brace.
Custom Titanium Plinth

I would say the upgraded belt and having the TT-PSU custom matched to your TT are worth the $100 extra clams.  I'm not sure how much different the cartridge is and the rest seems cosmetic.

It's the exclusive Elys40 MM cartridge that has me confused, what is it?

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,671 of 3,585
If I were a betting man, I would say it's a Elys 2 that's white instead of blue. Their quote mentions something about "Careful testing to the highest achievable specification" so maybe the Elys 2 that test the best get the Elys40 designation but it's probably all marketing fluff......

If it were my money, I would just get a RP6 and supply my own cartridge. If you are patient, I've seen allot of demos pop up nice discounted.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,672 of 3,585
If I were a betting man, I would say it's a Elys 2 that's white instead of blue. Their quote mentions something about "Careful testing to the highest achievable specification" so maybe the Elys 2 that test the best get the Elys40 designation but it's probably all marketing fluff......

If it were my money, I would just get a RP6 and supply my own cartridge. If you are patient, I've seen allot of demos pop up nice discounted.

That was my guess as well.  A really pretty TT and I love Brit Rock, but fluff is something I don't want to spend a lot more for.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,673 of 3,585
I'm trying to get into TT world and I'm looking for some good deal for used TTs but I don't have a clue about good deals, I've found these that looked good but I'd like to get some opinion from more expert ppl:

-  emerson elio 4600 with SHURE 70B  for 180$  (fully functional and perfect)
 PIONEER PL 300 without needle for 55$ (fully functional cover not pefect)
-  FISHER MT 6330 for 90$ (perfect )
-  SANYO TP 1012 UM for 80$ (seems pretty much perfect)

Are these any good, are they worth their price ?
Thanks in advance

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,674 of 3,585
biggrin.gif
Quote:

That was my guess as well.  A really pretty TT and I love Brit Rock, but fluff is something I don't want to spend a lot more for.

Usually, I'm a fluff fan.  'Course, my RP6 is not particularly fluffy.  I don't mind lookin' good.
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,675 of 3,585
I'm trying to get into TT world and I'm looking for some good deal for used TTs but I don't have a clue about good deals, I've found these that looked good but I'd like to get some opinion from more expert ppl:

[COLOR=333333]-  emerson elio 4600 with SHURE 70B  for 180$  [/COLOR](fully functional and perfect)
- [COLOR=333333] PIONEER PL 300 without needle for 55$ [/COLOR](fully functional cover not pefect)
[COLOR=333333]-  FISHER MT 6330 for 90$ [/COLOR](perfect )
-  [COLOR=333333]SANYO[/COLOR] TP 1012 UM[COLOR=00429A] [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]for 80$ [/COLOR](seems pretty much perfect)

Thanks in advance

Not super familiar with all of those but I would go with the Pioneer as that's a decent deck and a pretty good price.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,677 of 3,585

-  emerson elio 4600 with SHURE 70B  for 180$  (fully functional and perfect)
 PIONEER PL 300 without needle for 55$ (fully functional cover not pefect)
-  FISHER MT 6330 for 90$ (perfect )
-  SANYO TP 1012 UM for 80$ (seems pretty much perfect)

Thanks in advance

I actually owned the Pioneer PL 100 it was a solid TT that lasted many years.  It was relatively easy to upgrade (no problems with that cartridge replacement).  $55 for the PL 300 is a good buy. I am totally unfamiliar with the other TT's.  

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #1,678 of 3,585
Not super familiar with all of those but I would go with the Pioneer as that's a decent deck and a pretty good price.

I actually owned the Pioneer PL 100 it was a solid TT that lasted many years.  It was relatively easy to upgrade (no problems with that cartridge replacement).  $55 for the PL 300 is a good buy. I am totally unfamiliar with the other TT's.  

Thanks for the opinions, I saw the pictures of the emerson elio and it looked very nice but it is a bit out of my budget considering it will be mi first TT, I don't have many records and I still need a proper amp for it. I guess I will go for the pioneer.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,679 of 3,585
Hello all, I've recently purchased a Project Debut Carbon Esprit table (with acrylic platter and Ortofon Om2 red cartridge) to replace a vintage turntable (an ERA 444) that's been having motor issues (it stopped playing 45s at the correct speed).

The Project table is hooked to a Rega Fono Mini pre-amp, an Atoll In30 and Dali Zensor 1 speakers. Like the ERA before it.

It's been playing records for around 20 hours and sounds a little bright for my liking (and this is a treble-head writing), but that's not what I'd need help with : I get frequent random bursts of a very high-pitched whine that's driving me crazy. The hiss is not continous and seems to start of itself, without warning and seemingly without cause, whether the table is turning or not.

I'm pretty sure this is a ground issue, as the hiss tends to stop after I fidget with the ground wire, which is hooked to the appropriate connector on the pre-amp. It is, of course, possible that the hiss' randomness coincides with my messing around. 
Anyone know a way out of this ?

If it matters, the ERA, which had no ground wire, did not hiss in this way at all. Could my Rega preamp be faulty in some way ?

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,680 of 3,585
  Hello all, I've recently purchased a Project Debut Carbon Esprit table (with acrylic platter and Ortofon Om2 red cartridge) to replace a vintage turntable (an ERA 444) that's been having motor issues (it stopped playing 45s at the correct speed).

The Project table is hooked to a Rega Fono Mini pre-amp, an Atoll In30 and Dali Zensor 1 speakers. Like the ERA before it.

It's been playing records for around 20 hours and sounds a little bright for my liking (and this is a treble-head writing), but that's not what I'd need help with : I get frequent random bursts of a very high-pitched whine that's driving me crazy. The hiss is not continous and seems to start of itself, without warning and seemingly without cause, whether the table is turning or not.

I'm pretty sure this is a ground issue, as the hiss tends to stop after I fidget with the ground wire, which is hooked to the appropriate connector on the pre-amp. It is, of course, possible that the hiss' randomness coincides with my messing around. 
Anyone know a way out of this ?

If it matters, the ERA, which had no ground wire, did not hiss in this way at all. Could my Rega preamp be faulty in some way ?

I would place a solid base underneath the table for isolation if you haven't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back