TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Sep 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,621 of 3,585
  The UTurn Orbit Kickstarter got delayed to November due to supplier quality issues... I'm dying... 

Atleast they care about quality. Most of their problems with suppliers are because they reached 400% above their goal and need much more than they expected so suppliers are either cutting corners, QC or simply can't meet demand. The Kickstarter dropped in Janurary. 

Kind of wished I just bought the Debut Carbon instead.. 
I suppose that feeling will change when I actually get my Orbit~

The wait is worse than waiting for college acceptance letters.. (which is kind of sad lol)

Let us know how that sounds when you get it!

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,623 of 3,585
You are a well restrained:L3000:  man when it comes to TTs ...

BTW, no double phono inputs on your preamps &/or receivers to accomodate the 4th TT ? For mono, 78 or "scout listening" to garage sales/flea market etc LP finds that might pose a damage treat to some seriou$:wink_face: cart ?

Oh yes, the Pioneer SX-1980 has two phono inputs, and I have two turntables connected to it - the Denon DP-59L with Dynavector 20x, and a Pioneer PL-570 with a Clearaudio Maestro Wood. But the Denon is the better TT, and so I almost never use the PL-570.

Actually your idea of having a "less good" cartridge on the PL-570 to play crappy records on isn't a bad idea at all...

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,624 of 3,585
Oh yes, the Pioneer SX-1980 has two phono inputs, and I have two turntables connected to it - the Denon DP-59L with Dynavector 20x, and a Pioneer PL-570 with a Clearaudio Maestro Wood. But the Denon is the better TT, and so I almost never use the PL-570.

Actually your idea of having a "less good" cartridge on the PL-570 to play crappy records on isn't a bad idea at all...

Clearaudio Maestro Wood is far too good for such purpose of "scouting".

More than 2 decades ago I figured out that total lack of King Crimson LPs was a situation that had to be rectified ASAP - particularly Starless and Bible Black album. Pre internet days, still Yugoslavia, second hand shop(s) was the only reasonably available option. And I got it - except that the ex-owner was a smoker. Beautifully preserved pressing, jacket, etc - and in the middle of the track I like the most, there was a cigarettte ash mark ... Yet, given the fact that this album is/was kind of rare, specially at THE TIME AND PLACE, I haggled till the price was very reasonable - even without the track I was really after.

With brand new Benz Micro Ruby on my main arm, there was absolutely no taking chances with cigarette scorched track. Yet - I was dying to hear it again after more a decade my original copy dissapeared. Then I stumbled upon an olden stock of Ortofon Stylus 20 styli - at a crazy low price. 
I had one OM body lying around - and mounted this combo to my beloved Transcriptors Vestigal.. WOW - OM20 in Vestigal is a treat in anyone's language, it measures and listens superbly .

OK - at the dirt cheap price for the OM20 stylus I decided to hear the ash scorched track. I was at the highest alert to lift it from the record at the first sign of anything that sounds significantly out of ordinary. Barely more disturbance than from a bad or stamper used for "a couple copies too much " - phew... But the term "scout listening/cartridge" was born.. Later, Ruby negotiated that scorched track with the same ease, of course producing even better sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R50e3ZP1TfY&list=PLAE88C109FAEEC393

I should have bought entire stock of Stylus 20s back then - now I am on my last one from that batch. At present price for the Stylus 20, I "guess" scounting will have to be done with something cheaper once this last one gives up the ghost...

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,625 of 3,585
That's a cool story! Especially for me, being a huge King Crimson fan :D

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,626 of 3,585

I almost bought a U-Turn during the kickstart phase just for grins...but I have 4 turntables as it is, which is one too many, in that one of the four almost never gets used - I "only" have three stereos
biggrin.gif

Dang I wish you would have so it could get a proper audition and review 
confused_face.gif
 Although I'm sure (not really sure) that review samples will be sent out and other enthusiasts will just buy one to check it out (relatively low low price). 

Let us know how that sounds when you get it!

I've got nothing to compare it to (other turntables) and my turntable gear so weak! eek! I need to buy a $1000 cartridge stat! 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,629 of 3,585
  It's a used set, I think it's legit but you will never know how the condition is unless you buy it. Buy used carts if you're adventurous.

China is known for copying ANYTHING - believe it or not, there are clones of better Benz cartridges floating around, originated from China. So - caveat emptor !

Regarding buying used cartridges - UNLESS the seller provides a picture of the diamond, similar to what I have been posting, you are gambling. "Stylus looks sharp under tha watchmaker's loupe" simply does not cut it - period. I do ocassionally break my rule not to buy used styli/cartridges with non user removable styli - if the specimenn is rare enough to warrant procuring it at any cost given it is possible to ressurect it by any means available or the price is low enough not to be too painful if it turns out to be a dud. 

2M Red costs $ 100 - I am not saying the cart from the link above is a counterfeit, nor I can claim its stylus is worn out.. Whether is saving say 50$ worth taking the risk of inflictiong permanent damage to your record is the topic I have covered many times - NO !

One possible exception could have been getting it for the cartridge body and pairing it with a better new stylus ( blue>bronze>black ). The posssibility of fake body still looms. 

Suppose this was a rare vintage cart, and suppose you could get it for 50 $ shipping included. Retipping will run you from about $ 100 up to anything to about $ 500. Definitely worth for long out of production fabled for sonics cartridge - but current production readily available cart for $ 100 is not worth it.

There is one interesting legit source for rettiping as well as new cartridges from Thailand - RAOS. They are obviously sucessful enough in the local and not-so-local market - google "RAOS MC Cartridge" and you can then "enjoy" online translators. Never saw one in flesh - but they have Micro Linear / SAS stylus pictured as their diamond of choice ! I became aware of RAOS through an ebay auction about half a year ago from England, where the cart looked suspiciously similar to Koetsu and sold for decidedly non Koetsu price. Guinea pig volunteer, anyone ? No risk, no gain - also truism ...

Here you go : http://blog.sina.com.tw/raoslei/article.php?pbgid=56415&entryid=577161&comopen=1

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,630 of 3,585
Sep 12, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,631 of 3,585

The ones iv seen in the past usually get up to the $70 mark.

What I want to know is whats up with that fancy tube the 2m is sitting in.   mine from needle doctor didnt have that :frowning2:  

Never mind the packaging - manufacturers do change it, for different markets, for different distributors, up to a price point, etc. Cart itself remains the same.
I do not know if Ortofon still offers MM cart (bodies) in bulk, but they used to be considerably less expensive than their fancy packaged counterparts.

Ortofon does have a habit of presenting their TOTL cartridges in - ahem - as extravagant and luxurious  "box" they can possibly think of.
Back in the day, MC 30, then TOTL from Ortofon, came in a ( needless to say, TOTL ) Samsonite briefcase, with individual Bruel & Kjaer certificate for frequency response & channel separation, test record, brochure, card for the Ortofon Golden Ear club ... In short, they had all grounds covered.
That briefcase alone cost more than most mortals can afford for a phono cartridge. I was in last years of high school or first year of college when I saw it at our electronics fair, my Ortofon at the time was lowly in comparison VMS20E MKII.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,632 of 3,585
Sep 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #1,634 of 3,585
Help

I own a Pro-Ject Debut lll and decided to upgrade the cartridge Ortofon OM5 to the OM20 and carefully pulled out the cartridge clips and the green wire pulled off the clip.  
angry_face.gif
   Anyone have ideas about soldering or rewiring.  

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,635 of 3,585
You can buy the clips...they can be crimped. That might be your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back