TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jul 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,489 of 3,585
Hello there,

I just realized that my turntable (on order) doesnt have an auto-return or a cue lever. I found something like THIS (Q UP) which just pops the tonearm up at the end of the record. Is there anything like this (modular) that is a cue lever or some variant? 

Or is this not necessary and I should just master manual drops.

Thanks,

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,490 of 3,585
It's not a U-Turn Orbit, is it?

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,491 of 3,585
Many, many full moons ago, IIRC Audio Technica used to produce such a device. Next to impossible finding it now. There is a device called Unilift by Hadcock, made for Hadcock unipivot tonearms http://www.soundhifi.com/hadcock.html that might or might not be DIY adapted to whatever ( U Turn ? ) you have.

An equivalent to Q up from the olden days is Audio Technica AT 6006a Safety Raiser . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEgRrRIV7A  It does sporadically show up on ebay - none at the moment. Another blast from the past on these theme is Monitor Audio's  Stylift http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDWeFa69rJs

I could go through old catalogs for the model # of that old AT , but as I've said, obtaining it now is next to Mission Impossible.

You can use this http://www.ebay.com/itm/JELCO-JL-45-TONEARM-LIFT-LOWER-CUEING-DEVICE-/300905939264?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item460f644140 (or any TT with similar lift from garage sell, GW, TS etc ) and DIY adapt it to your unit.

The only other lift available separately is that by Dynavector for their DV 50X series of tonearms, which is specific for this type of tonearm and can not be used with conventional pivoted arms.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #1,492 of 3,585
I like this little device, I always hate when the stylus is at the end of an album waiting for me to lift it.  I just ordered one to give it a try.

Quote:
Hello there,

I just realized that my turntable (on order) doesnt have an auto-return or a cue lever. I found something like THIS (Q UP) which just pops the tonearm up at the end of the record. Is there anything like this (modular) that is a cue lever or some variant? 

Or is this not necessary and I should just master manual drops.

Thanks,

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,493 of 3,585
Don't forget the "Levitator"

Vinyl Asylum Review and info to order:  http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1022645&VT=T

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,494 of 3,585
Quote:
It's not a U-Turn Orbit, is it?

Lol anything wrong with that?

Thanks for the alternative options Dosley and analogsurvivor. I just wish it didnt cost $50+... Seems expensive for something that just lifts the tone arm at the end of the record.
What are the downsides if I just let the record run past the grooves? oo scratches and maybe damaged needle huh? okay.

I will see how much of a problem manual is and then decide but I am very interested in the cueing device. 
Thanks everyone.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,495 of 3,585
Nothing wrong, actually. It's just the only turntable lacking a cueing lever that comes to mind, that's all. I've actually been following the progress. It'll be interesting to hear how it performs once they start delivering them.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,496 of 3,585
Quote:
Nothing wrong, actually. It's just the only turntable lacking a cueing lever that comes to mind, that's all. I've actually been following the progress. It'll be interesting to hear how it performs once they start delivering them.

+1.

It was amusing but not funny to find out the prices of end side lifters, both for vintage  ( can be > $ than current production ) and say Hadcock arms & accesories/spare parts. Back in the day, Hadcock was well regarded as offering extremely good sound for relatively little money. Even then, it was not nearly as inexpensive as U Turn. Now, a single replacement arm tube costs about the same as U Turn complete turntable. It has to be stessed that Hadcock withstood the test of time, still going strong(er) as on day one. If you want to add cueing lift to U Turn, required for any reason, unless you are machining guy and can fabricate the necessary bits&pieces to accomodate the armlift yourself, it will run you the same or more as say an entry level Rega or Project. 

I hope that unipivot arm on the U Turn will perform better enough than either entry Rega or Project arm for its handling defiiciences to be acceptable and sound edge great enough for the people to invest in cueing lift and/or end of side lift. If U Turn people read this - how about U Turn MK2 with at least cueing lift at U Turn price? Lowering and lifting the stylus with a fingerlift without causing demage to the record is hard enough with normal arms using "hard" bearings, let alone unipivots that can be PITA in this regard. And in case you have not noticed - upper end arms tend to have no fingerlift at all or offer it as "accesory" - because it adds resonance prone mass in the worst place imaginable. Those arms of course tend to be $ - addition of cueing lift would allow U Turn to get rid of the fingerlift and thus increase SQ further while still keeping the price reasonable.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,497 of 3,585
Quote:

LOL. Sorry if that came out wrong. Yea im hoping its a winner too. I didnt even realize there wasnt a cueing lever until someone mentioned it. 
Quote:
+1.

It was amusing but not funny to find out the prices of end side lifters, both for vintage  ( can be > $ than current production ) and say Hadcock arms & accesories/spare parts. Back in the day, Hadcock was well regarded as offering extremely good sound for relatively little money. Even then, it was not nearly as inexpensive as U Turn. Now, a single replacement arm tube costs about the same as U Turn complete turntable. It has to be stessed that Hadcock withstood the test of time, still going strong(er) as on day one. If you want to add cueing lift to U Turn, required for any reason, unless you are machining guy and can fabricate the necessary bits&pieces to accomodate the armlift yourself, it will run you the same or more as say an entry level Rega or Project. 

I hope that unipivot arm on the U Turn will perform better enough than either entry Rega or Project arm for its handling defiiciences to be acceptable and sound edge great enough for the people to invest in cueing lift and/or end of side lift. If U Turn people read this - how about U Turn MK2 with at least cueing lift at U Turn price? Lowering and lifting the stylus with a fingerlift without causing demage to the record is hard enough with normal arms using "hard" bearings, let alone unipivots that can be PITA in this regard. And in case you have not noticed - upper end arms tend to have no fingerlift at all or offer it as "accesory" - because it adds resonance prone mass in the worst place imaginable. Those arms of course tend to be $ - addition of cueing lift would allow U Turn to get rid of the fingerlift and thus increase SQ further while still keeping the price reasonable.

wait, youre saying that a cueing lift costs as much as an entry level rega or project?? 
Maybe another kickstarter for a curing lift attachment? lol
feels like ive been waiting forever for the uturn...

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,498 of 3,585
Just a question to VPI uni-pivot owners...

I've been continually tweaking my setup since purchasing my Classic 1 some 8 months ago or so.  Not that things didn't sound great, but I was curious to experiment as this is my first uni-pivot tonearm.

My question is; do you all set the azimuth using the main tonearm counter-weight or more with the azimuth ring?  I had previously set the azimuth using the ring but found that tracking wasn't optimal.  I don't know why this should be, but it seems like the arm is much more stable when I leave the azimuth ring centered about the main axis of the tonearm and adjust azimuth using the angle of the counter-weight.  Of course I re-checked VTA and tracking force but it just seems so much better this way as opposed to having the counter-weight centered and the azimuth ring twisted to adjustment.  Inner groove distortion seems totally gone now and tracking is rock solid.

Just an observation, but curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

-  Hi-Five

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,499 of 3,585
Quote:
LOL. Sorry if that came out wrong. Yea im hoping its a winner too. I didnt even realize there wasnt a cueing lever until someone mentioned it. 
wait, youre saying that a cueing lift costs as much as an entry level rega or project?? 
Maybe another kickstarter for a curing lift attachment? lol
feels like ive been waiting forever for the uturn...

No, I meant when you add cueing lift to U Turn then it can cost as much as entry Rega or Project. You would have to somehow attach the cueing lift mechanism to U Turn - that means custom machining and can be $$$$. Try to approach a machine shop with the prospect of making a single piece for you...

I am at loss to explain why U Turn decided to go without the cueing lift in the first place. It might be that the Japanese sources have dried up and remaining manufacturer(s) ( Jelco) have adjusted the price accordingly to supply and demand. Which would mean an increase in price of at least say 50 $, if they got a good deal on bulk lift purchase and fabricate their own interface part(s). While off-putting in context of really cheap price, it would have been far less expensive than presently (un)available aftermarket solutions.

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,500 of 3,585
Just a question to VPI uni-pivot owners...

I've been continually tweaking my setup since purchasing my Classic 1 some 8 months ago or so.  Not that things didn't sound great, but I was curious to experiment as this is my first uni-pivot tonearm.

My question is; do you all set the azimuth using the main tonearm counter-weight or more with the azimuth ring?  I had previously set the azimuth using the ring but found that tracking wasn't optimal.  I don't know why this should be, but it seems like the arm is much more stable when I leave the azimuth ring centered about the main axis of the tonearm and adjust azimuth using the angle of the counter-weight.  Of course I re-checked VTA and tracking force but it just seems so much better this way as opposed to having the counter-weight centered and the azimuth ring twisted to adjustment.  Inner groove distortion seems totally gone now and tracking is rock solid.

Just an observation, but curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

-  Hi-Five

I have a JMW-9 on my ScoutMaster and it doesn't have the ring. But the tone arm weight works very well for me to get azimuth right. A bit tricky to adjust and not change the VTF, but I did eventually get this down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back