TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Dec 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #256 of 3,585
Hey guys, one quick question.
I'm thinking about venturing into vinyl, is the Marlux MX-86 any good?
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/marlux/mx-86.shtml

Will it be hard for me to find replacement parts should anything go wrong?

Saw someone putting up for sale somewhere near me. Will be going to see how it performs soon. Probably Friday or Saturday. I'm going to listen to vinyl with headphones instead of speakers. Not interested in speakers yet.

**edit: also he has a phono amp too so I won't need to get a new one. Probably will upgrade if I feel like it later.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #258 of 3,585
Quote:
I use this, the same one I've had for like 20 years.

Discwasher SC-2

I still have mine too! I have a few other solutions lying around but still like this setup best.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #259 of 3,585
Quote:
@analogsurvivor
These are both off Craigslist, so I would be able to comfirm that they are working. But would either of them be good, and would they be worth it for the price?

Getting acquainted with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Kqmz-2tR4 "as we speak" and think that Yamaha might be better - at least, it does alllow for cartridge change. Personally not familiar with either. On the other hand, if you do not already have a phono input, and budget really is tight, RCA does have its appeal. It obviously is "cheap & cheerful". 

Please take no offence, it is like you were asking Indy 500 driver how to park a car. I am accustomed to entirely different quality level - BUT that does not always necessitate high price.
No such things in my country, but at your place there are thrift stores, Good Will stores, etc - with eyes open, IF you have knowledge/background/experience regarding turntables, you might score a killer deal, like a TT in perferct condition worth $$$ for say 10-30 $. If not, and you not need tt tomorrow, you can "educate" yourself a bit; my tip - there were other tables, not just Technics 1200/1210 back then, that although not up to Technics, were superiour to either of your propositions. A bit tough for me to know just what do you have available over there, suffice is to say a hell of a lot more than over here, paricularly in the lower price bracket.

In any case, check out stylus and belt, if the tt is belt driven. Sometimes, belts for rarer tts can be quite costly - like tt for 10 bucks - because replacement belt for it is ultrarare at 50 ! Stylus replacement can easily cost more than your propositions - it does add up !

TBH, even if one is acustomed to top level, there is still a joy to listen to entry level Project - it is vynil and music after all and pursuing perfection at any cost, although "noble", does not outweigh the joy of again being able to spin your fav LPs on something that sounds reasonably good and will preserve them for the future. If you happen to come by some early 70s belt drivers - let their bulkiness/sturdiness/somewhat crude appearence not turn you off - if at least semi decent arm is fitted, these can positively surprise with SQ - compared to your propositions, built like a tank, they just don't make them like that anymore. 

So - are you a total novice, are relatively good with mechanics, know which side of soldering iron gets hot, etc - it would be easier to make a recommendation, as some models might be good, but always first require some TLC, which does cost money if you have two left hands.
What are you going to use your tt with - does it have a phono input ? In a hurry - or can wait a bit ? 

It is perfectly possible to assemble decent sounding stereo on tight budget - only making a recommendation across the ocean is a bit tough. Please answer the above questions and we will pick up from there - would be glad to help.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #260 of 3,585
I wouldn't say I'm a novice, but I wouldn't say that I know a whole lot either.  But, I'm willing to learn how to do things, and I think I'm a pretty good learner.  I'm not in a hurry, but obviously the sooner I get a setup working the better.  Depending on the price, I would buy a phono preamp if needed.  I might stretch my price range a bit higher at this point too.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #261 of 3,585
Quote:
Hey guys. I have an Audio-Technica ATP LP 120 and I need a receiver for it. I admit I have no idea where to start with this kind of thing. My price range is a few hundred dollars, I live in Canada, and I would like to connect both my turntable and my laptop if that is possible as well. Any info or places I should look?

I hope you still need solution for your problem.
Behringer has an audio interface with a phono input and USB as well. Behringer UFO202, and it's really quite cheap in ebay or amazon.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFO202.aspx

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #262 of 3,585
Quote:
I hope you still need solution for your problem.
Behringer has an audio interface with a phono input and USB as well. Behringer UFO202, and it's really quite cheap in ebay or amazon.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFO202.aspx

@steven. This is a good option for phono preamp if you require your phono connected to PC (making PCM recordings of vynil using tons of possible software).  Behringer makes things that are nothing to write home about, but certainly nothing to complain home about either - usually VERY good value for the money.

Otherwise, a good vintage receiver might kill more flies with one stroke : phono preamp, FM tuner, speaker amp, headphone amp. Sansui G 5500 is a tremendously good "anything" of the above ( the first pic off Google search ) http://www.soundsgoodtomehouston.com/sansui/g5500/g5500_face.jpg - and the guy who bought it for $165 can be really happy. I did not remember the model # off the bat, "Sansui receiver" google search spat it right out ! A friend has one since it was new and apart pilot lamp change(s) no problems whatsoever - it does take lots of $$$ in order to significantly improve upon SQ of this 2x 60 W not-so-little gem. (Almost) impossible to beat in the bang for the buck department. Built solid as a tank.

Depending on budget, you might put both of the above  on your radar - but always keep in mind ; with analog THE SOURCE is always king of the hill and a mediocre source will sound that way on anything, good or superb one will sound that way once you can add good anicilary equipment. PARAMOUNT importance is that your "vynil grinder" is anything but that, in order to preserve records for the future as much as possible - equipment is replaceable, record collection is usually fruit of lifetime long collecting and is usually not replaceable. Just take a look at some auctions for really good vynil - a single LP might well cost more than everything in your "case" put together - and it unfortunately is possible to destroy it with a single play with turntable that is either poorly adjusted , has a worn stylus or it is just too low quality.

With patience, really good sound for not so much $$$ is entirely doable.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #263 of 3,585
Can we have a bump on my previous post?

Hey guys, one quick question.
I'm thinking about venturing into vinyl, is the Marlux MX-86 any good?
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/marlux/mx-86.shtml

Will it be hard for me to find replacement parts should anything go wrong?

Saw someone putting up for sale somewhere near me. Will be going to see how it performs soon. Probably Friday or Saturday. I'm going to listen to vinyl with headphones instead of speakers. Not interested in speakers yet.

**edit: also he has a phono amp too so I won't need to get a new one. Probably will upgrade if I feel like it later.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #264 of 3,585
Never heard of that brand or TT, but it's an early 70's Japanese make, could well be decent. As for your question about replacement parts, other than getting a new cartridge, if the turntable stops working, it will probably be dumpster time. You should not pay a lot for that TT - $50 or less.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #266 of 3,585
Quote:
Never heard of that brand or TT, but it's an early 70's Japanese make, could well be decent. As for your question about replacement parts, other than getting a new cartridge, if the turntable stops working, it will probably be dumpster time. You should not pay a lot for that TT - $50 or less.

$50 sounds almost too cheap for even toys to me. I'm in Malaysia however and after conversion $50 should be almost RM150, and this thing is up for sale for RM350 ($116) .There isn't much flea market going around for turntables to be sold cheaply. Purchasing one through ebay or amazon will yield astronomical shipping prices since turntables are heavy.
Quote:
The Marlux was also sold as the Akai AM-2499. There is a Youtube clip on it.

Yeah I saw the youtube clip when I was researching on it, the one up for sale has a different deck however. Compare.

The one in the youtube clip has a wood deck, this one for sale has a, I guess, a plastic deck.
Could it be a different variation or is there any possibility of a ripoff?

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #267 of 3,585
Quote:
$50 sounds almost too cheap for even toys to me. I'm in Malaysia however and after conversion $50 should be almost RM150, and this thing is up for sale for RM350 ($116) .There isn't much flea market going around for turntables to be sold cheaply. Purchasing one through ebay or amazon will yield astronomical shipping prices since turntables are heavy.
Yeah I saw the youtube clip when I was researching on it, the one up for sale has a different deck however. Compare.

The one in the youtube clip has a wood deck, this one for sale has a, I guess, a plastic deck.
Could it be a different variation or is there any possibility of a ripoff?

Difficult to say. When looking for some really rare stuff, it does pop up in the strangest places on the globe - at astronomical prices. Say at least 3 times that as it would have cost in USA  (if available...) , where there was/is excessive amount of everything and law of supply and demand is stll very much in force - everywhere. So I can understand your problem and you have my sympathies on this ! $50 in USA really does "translate" into an equivalent of $150 in many other places - you know your enviroment and can be the best judge whether it is worth it or not. Here some suggestions regarding technical matters.

Turntables used to be produced under lots and lots of brand names - yet factories actually producing them were far less numerous. I recently had to find a belt for " AR-11, Made in Japan" turntable. No folks, NOT Acoustic Research "11", totally different animal requiring belt in 285 mm diameter - about the largest/longest dimension without running on the outer visible part of the platter rim. Turned out it is an old, old Audio Reflex (from Canada), most probably built by CEC in Japan. I did find pics of some of the succesors to this model, but never this one. Will post it in " post a picture of your turntable " thread. 

Since your selection is likely to remain limited due to astronomical transport costs to what is domestically available, try to audition the table if possible. If its speed and tonearm are fine, you can proceed to finer things, but if it wows and flutters like crazy on piano recording or has free play in the arm bearings or gets stuck always at the same spot...- NEXT ! 

Wooden plinths are more desirable than plastic ones, which tend to be more flimpsy and light/microphonic - but not in every case. If you can post a pic of the candidate for purchase, it would help quite a bit - as it may be a table known under different name in other markets, so its performance is generally known. If this is the candidate, this "plastic" looks strangely similar to "artificial concrete" - a very good and desirable material for plinths,
some really good Kenwoods used to be made of this material. But it could also be wood covered with plastics, as this is cheaper to produce than veneering - sounds but almost identical to veneered table. If you can audition it and it is OK, only you can decide if it is worth the asking price under your conditions. If you know that similar or better is not likely to pop up anytime soon - grab it. A bootle of cold Coke in the depth of the desert has different price than in a shopping mall.

Luckily, phono cartridges or styli are small/light - you can get these at "normal" prices. Plus possible/likely customs - but should still be better situation than 10 kg+ turntables.

Good luck !

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #268 of 3,585
Thanks a lot for the wall of text, good thing for you and me, I love reading. Haha. There are some other quite branded turntables I've found online, and yes that is the actual product for sale. Quite impressed how good the owner had taken care of it since the dust cover is still intact. I'm not sure whether I am supposed to be impressed or not, but I just am. I haven't auditioned it yet, supposed to go to his house on Friday but I don't have transportation and I'm not familiar with his housing area.

Aside from this one I've found Technics SL-B21, Pioneer PL-21, Sansui FRD-25, and other more expensive brands such as Lenn Sondek, Rega, Thorens, etc.
The first three are almost in the same price range as this Marlux but the seller's location are quite far away. I don't want to waste money and time traveling.

Aside from that, cartridges and tonearms are light and I've purchased several items online from across the continents, postage costs won't be so much issue anymore I guess. Also there are some music stores relatively near to me that sells parts for turntables.

Can you use different tonearms for different turntables? Should I be worried about the compatibility issue? Thank you so much analogsurvivor, you have been much of a help.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #269 of 3,585
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the wall of text, good thing for you and me, I love reading. Haha. There are some other quite branded turntables I've found online, and yes that is the actual product for sale. Quite impressed how good the owner had taken care of it since the dust cover is still intact. I'm not sure whether I am supposed to be impressed or not, but I just am. I haven't auditioned it yet, supposed to go to his house on Friday but I don't have transportation and I'm not familiar with his housing area.

Aside from this one I've found Technics SL-B21, Pioneer PL-21, Sansui FRD-25, and other more expensive brands such as Lenn Sondek, Rega, Thorens, etc.
The first three are almost in the same price range as this Marlux but the seller's location are quite far away. I don't want to waste money and time traveling.

Aside from that, cartridges and tonearms are light and I've purchased several items online from across the continents, postage costs won't be so much issue anymore I guess. Also there are some music stores relatively near to me that sells parts for turntables.

Can you use different tonearms for different turntables? Should I be worried about the compatibility issue? Thank you so much analogsurvivor, you have been much of a help.

Of the options mentioned, that Marlux does seem to be the most attractive - particularly if really that well taken for and techically OK ( speed, arm, etc). Sansui looks a bit too plasticky to me, for Pioneer PL-21 I do not know if it does provide for antiskating ( but otherwise should be solid ), Technics SL-B21 takes only P-Mount cartridges - these are better left to be "grinded" on - ahem - better ( Technics ) P Mount turntables. But B21 is OK enough.

Separate arms? Yes, of course - but HOW MUCH $$$$$$$$$ ? There are MANY separate arms in 4 figures in $/Euro, and paying less than about your amount for a separate pick up arm is hardly possible ( unless seller was "smart" enough to post an auction listing ending exactly in the middle of the World Football Championship finale - and you will be the only bidder - a tip perhaps ? ) Frankly, go get your "integrated turntable", if not already fitted with good cart/stylus fit it with one, and start collecting experience. Yes, better turntable/arm/cartridge does increase listening pleasure - but not as much as new or S/H well preserved records. You definitely should get yourself a decent test record - to adjust your table right and to the max of its abilities - other records in your collection will thank you, as will your ears. Once you learn how to adjust whatever you have right and realize there are limitations in the performance you are after and have experienced it somewhere, preferrably with your own LPs, only then is perhaps the time for upgrade - provided piggybank does not mind. By then, you should have at least a faint idea what is compatible with which. Better arm > better table > better cartridge - piggybank soon empty ! For the extreme grand finale, just watch : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs

I saw it first when YT  did allow for 720p, but now only the most basic sound is still available; I could not believe so good sound can possibly be coming off PC. 

( Should start practicing what I am preaching - turntable purchases lately exceed vynil purchase by far too much - but at 3000 + LPs I came to the conclusion there is hardly sensible to add any appreciable number to the existing collection ).

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #270 of 3,585
Oh, OH, wait wait wait I'm very sorry. the Pioneer is PL-200, not PL-21.

Wow analogsurviver, you're very well informed about this turntable stuff. Sorry I misspelled your name before, surviver with an "E". 
etysmile.gif
 You got some really golden advice there.

I won't be listening to them through speakers, but headphones instead because now is not the time yet for that. I'll be moving into a house with some friends from my university so it will be quite not so enjoyable if I turn up my speakers.

Clean and well preserved records are most definitely important, that I must agree. One of my first purchases after the turntable would be cleaning tools like the brush or liquid or whatever I need. A test record could fetch somewhere around $30 plus (RM100) here in a flea market, there is one here and they sell used and vintage goods. I saw some pictures online of that place, apparently one record seller has a whole stack of records labeled 'Audiophile'. New ones would cost some more in music stores. Quite weird as we have music stores that carry vinyl, but not much turntable sellers. 

What I see in this turntable is experience. It might not be the best turntable I can get for this price, but it's a start. From here on I can start to learn about it slowly and build my experience thereon. I'll have to start scavenge for parts or records or other things, spend money on them, etc etc. It seems like something I am looking forward to.

No I don't think I will get to the level of those Greek audiophiles. I don't have a critical ear for little changes in audio quality. Most of the time I can't even differentiate between 320kbps MP3 and Flac files. Currently my setup is an Aune T1 tube amp + DAC and a Goldring DR150 headphone. Not really drooling over the HD800 or LCD2, I know they will sound better, but some part inside of me is telling me it's not worth the money and time to chase it. Yet here I am asking opinions about a turntable, which will consume my time and money. Why is that? Maybe I'm just looking for a change of experience instead of an improvement of experience.

**edit: I will go to the flea market this Saturday to look for records and probably a better deal for turntables. I would greatly appreciate it if you can throw your opinions should I provide their models for your assessment. Will include pictures of them, no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back