TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Dec 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #228 of 3,585
Actually I think the phonopreamps.com units are remarkably good for the money. I had one as a "backup" for a long while and was impressed with how good it was for such little money. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, since its much better than not using your TT!

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #229 of 3,585
Just for fun, today I hooked my Pioneer SA-6500 integrated as a phonostage in my main rig (Tape-Out into the line-level input on my Denon receiver).

THIS is what I've been missing! I guess 1970's amps/receivers had pretty good phonostages. So I guess a new phonostage for my main rig is in order. Too bad it'll have to wait until my wallet recovers from the Rega RP1 I'm about to buy...

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #230 of 3,585
Quote:
Just for fun, today I hooked my Pioneer SA-6500 integrated as a phonostage in my main rig (Tape-Out into the line-level input on my Denon receiver).

THIS is what I've been missing! I guess 1970's amps/receivers had pretty good phonostages. So I guess a new phonostage for my main rig is in order. Too bad it'll have to wait until my wallet recovers from the Rega RP1 I'm about to buy...

So - what is holding you from inserting the SA-6500 used as phono stage in your main rig - for good ? Lack of MC input springs to mind.

Today's phono stages are so-so - unless really big money is in question, starting just below four figure mark. Far from trying to make phono stage less important/influential ( I use AGI 511 preamp, with one of if not the best phono stage of all time ) than it really is, but proper matching and alignment of cartridge /arm/table is far more important.

And new or fresh enough stylus on say Audio Technica 440MLa will sound definitely better than say a Koetsu "with a stylus good for yet another couple LPs" - I have heard quite a few high priced MCs that were used beyond what still sounds good and is safe for the records. Understandable because of the cost of the retipping, but inexcusable and foolish if one cares for his/hers priceless, and above all, unrepeatable record collection. The trouble here is that the change is gradual - there is no abrupt change in SQ from one day to another - but threat to the records getting demaged by the worn stylus starts far earelier than it sounds obviously too bad. 

Think about that. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #231 of 3,585
The main thing stopping me? I like it too much as a headphone amp. Headphone rig is in a different room.

I'm using a relatively new Shure M97xe. The brand new Ortofon OM5e on the Rega I'm looking into shouldn't damage my records too badly :wink:

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #232 of 3,585
Quote:
The main thing stopping me? I like it too much as a headphone amp. Headphone rig is in a different room.
I'm using a relatively new Shure M97xe. The brand new Ortofon OM5e on the Rega I'm looking into shouldn't damage my records too badly :wink:

Then simply wait for antoher SA 6500 to pop up on ebay or wherever at good price - and get it.

Your carts/styli should prove no threat to your records. A tip - get Digitrac 300 SE P-mount cartridge - it is a Stylus 30 (OM 30) ( old, the desirable one with higher compliance ) in disguise - and can be had for appreciable less than the same thing under the official Ortofon banner. You only need to cut/remove a tiny plastic pin with xacto blade and then it would fit to your OM body. 300 SE has Fine Line ( Shibata, Stereohedron, Hyperellipical, etc )
profile and should offer marked improvement over basic OM5e stylus at reasonable cost.

Great to see Maggies in your system !

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #233 of 3,585

YUP. Back in that era, phono was EVERYTHING. The phono stage in my Pioneer SX-1980 is outstanding - even has variable loading options!

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #234 of 3,585
Quote:
Quote:

YUP. Back in that era, phono was EVERYTHING. The phono stage in my Pioneer SX-1980 is outstanding - even has variable loading options!

And my Pioneer SX-D7000 was the first to feature both MM/MC...making it a true pioneer. 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #235 of 3,585
Skylab, do I even need to tell you how I envy you and your SX-1980's? How many are you up to again?

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #236 of 3,585
Stylus question: Rather than run down the street and purchasing a commercial product, what can I use from around the house to clean my stylus? Besides using a dry brush to remove lint between records, I've never used a cleaning solution. Bought the table used a few months back. Not sure how long the AT120E cart has been in there either.

It's a beautiful and rainy California evening. After football tonight, I wanna wash some records, light some candles and spin my new vinyl records. Especially my new Astrud Gilberto. 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #237 of 3,585
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's what I use. 

Make sure it's the one without any chemical/soap on it. Also make sure not to brush your stylus with it. Just drop the stylus on it, pick it up and you're done. 

You can seriously damage it if you use it like a brush. 

Quote:
Stylus question: Rather than run down the street and purchasing a commercial product, what can I use from around the house to clean my stylus? Besides using a dry brush to remove lint between records, I've never used a cleaning solution. Bought the table used a few months back. Not sure how long the AT120E cart has been in there either.

It's a beautiful and rainy California evening. After football tonight, I wanna wash some records, light some candles and spin my new vinyl records. Especially my new Astrud Gilberto. 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #238 of 3,585
Quote:

wink.gif

Nothing from around the house, I am afraid. The only REAL stylus cleaning is this:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/glassrubber_e.html

You might have to look around a bit to source it at your location; in Europe Conrad ( something Radio Shack is the closest equivalent in the USA ) still carries an equivalent under different name.

Be gentle, very gentle at first, brushing only in the direction as vynil is pulling on your stylus. It helps a ton if you have a microscope - under microscope, you can be more bold with your brushing. Not only it is possible to remove ANY gunk accumulated on the surface of the diamond - this way, under microscope, you can even remove excess glue that manifacturers tend to "forget" on your stylus; but you do not want to overdo it, because it is possible to remove too much - loosing the diamond tip in the process !

I will look in my phono cartridge collection if there is any real dirty stylus that came off ebay left that did not yet receive this treatment and post pictures of before and after the cleaning on USB microscope. No problem for the "after" - but I would like to get the message across just how effective this cleaning really is. Simply put - it is the only game in town for really dirty/neglected styli.

Any other cleaning available, like solutions, gels etc, are less thorough and normally incapable of removing some "vintage gunk" usually found on vintage gear off ebay etc; but once you cleaned your stylus using glassrubber, it is perfectly OK to continue with solutions, gels and electronic stylus cleaners like : simply put "electronic stylus cleaner" in google search for pictures - and you will find the 3 designs that went under godzillion of makes/model designation - and grab the one you can. Electronic stylus cleaners are getting ever more expensive, as resurrection of general interest in vynil is driving the price up per law of supply and demand - so, if you want one, do not bid frugally on it; next one will be even more expensive ...
To underline this point - the search under "electronic stylus cleaner" on ebay worldwide returned 5 minutes back exactly : 0 hits ....

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #239 of 3,585
Both options involved going down the street, if only virtually speaking. No vinyl session tonight since I lack supplies. Thanks for your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back