TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Dec 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #243 of 3,585
Quote:
I use this, the same one I've had for like 20 years.

Discwasher SC-2

I too had that one for many years ... have now lost it (but not the fluid! lol). As I recall it has a concave mirror on the other side, does it not? Very cool.

Now I use a similar (in appearance anyway) product: The Last Stylus Brush and Fluid -

(the brush itself is similar to the Discwasher, but with a plastic handle - no mirror)

Here is the website - they have a few more stylus-care products - this is just one.

http://www.thelastfactory.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #244 of 3,585
Yep, concave mirror that somewhat magnifies.  
cool.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #245 of 3,585
Quote:
I'm another Mr. Clean magic eraser guy and in spite of being crazy expensive I will admit to using this: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Lyra_SPT_p/lyr0000082.htm

Thanks. Currently in the hunt for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - without detergent/soap? When using the Lyra treatment, do you treat with each side of playing records or just the listening session? Also, I've been shopping online for the "eraser" and noticed some retailers discontinuing stocking it. Not sure why...

Lastly, could I temporarily use 70% isopropyl alchohol temporarily without harm?
popcorn.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #246 of 3,585
Unless I have some reason to think things have gotten a little dirty, I only use the Lyra every once in a while, maybe each third session if I am using clean vinyl.  

I don't know about alcohol, but I'd be very careful about whatever you are touching the stylus with if you choose to do any cleaning before you grab one of these products.  You'd want a brush with very soft bristles.

Quote:

Thanks. Currently in the hunt for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - without detergent/soap? When using the Lyra treatment, do you treat with each side of playing records or just the listening session? Also, I've been shopping online for the "eraser" and noticed some retailers discontinuing stocking it. Not sure why...

Lastly, could I temporarily use 70% isopropyl alchohol temporarily without harm?
popcorn.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #247 of 3,585
Quote:
Unless I have some reason to think things have gotten a little dirty, I only use the Lyra every once in a while, maybe each third session if I am using clean vinyl.  

I don't know about alcohol, but I'd be very careful about whatever you are touching the stylus with if you choose to do any cleaning before you grab one of these products.  You'd want a brush with very soft bristles.

The amount of cleaning or the frequency which you are using it is too small. Ortofon has very clear diamonds, particularly that on Stylus 20 for OM 20 (Super) cartridge. It is totally transparent when clean. It would still pass as "clean" after one side - but gets noticeable less transparent after two sides or an entire LP. OM 20 has elliptical stylus and tracks at 13 mN ( 1.3 g ) - better stylus tip profiles found in top MCs tracked at usual around 20 mN ( 2.0 g) accumulate about the same amount of vynil deposit as OM 20 - but VERY few if any styli are optically so pure and transparent as Stylus 20 where you can see this with naked eye. If you can not see dirt due to optical reasons that does not mean it is not there. I recommend stylus cleaning after one entire album.

The styli are not so delicate and unapprachable as many think. What they actually do dislike is various oils - those can attack glues with which diamond is glued or "safeguarded in a hole through cantilever" - VdH warns specifically about this. Worse that can happen - bye bye diamond !

In any case, when any liquid is involved, try to do it at damp levels - if it per capillary action gets to the suspension/coil/magnet, anything from zero to very unpleasent things might result in the long run.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #250 of 3,585
I have a soft stylus brush. Still cannot find (or missed it in the goodie store) this Magic Eraser. And when I do find it, how to know which one is the soap free version? I was intending to only use the alcohol until the first of the year, when I could afford to buy stylus cleaner.

I have a handful of new records, including my limited pressing of Astrud Gilberto's "The Shadow of Your Smile." Don't want to muck up
eek.gif
 records not yet played. And I'm itching  for a scratch itching for a chance to hear these records for the very first time.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #251 of 3,585
Hey guys. I have an Audio-Technica ATP LP 120 and I need a receiver for it. I admit I have no idea where to start with this kind of thing. My price range is a few hundred dollars, I live in Canada, and I would like to connect both my turntable and my laptop if that is possible as well. Any info or places I should look?

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #253 of 3,585
HARD to tell from the distance. Do not know either type - yet; if it is in good condition, if it does not look like being abused. if the arm bearings are play free or at the very least do not get stuck at some point, most probably worth it. That of course can not be verified if you can not see the turntasble in flesh prior to purchase.

There is a very interesting law regarding the quality of used gear off ebay - confirmed quite enough times to even be statistically valid, through purchasing the same device multiple times from various sellers described from "broken/for parts" to "excellent condition".

The actual quality of condition of the item and quality of packaging guaranteeing safe arrival of said item is inversely proportional to the price paid.

Frankly, some time will seller who does not know exactly what is he/she selling describe the perfectly good item as defective, simply to insure him/herself regarding any possible problem - because seller is unable to test say a turntable because of lack of any record to test it with, or because of lack of power or signal cable etc. Winning bids tend to be quite low for such items.  Such sellers tend to pack the item quite well indeed, often BETTER than original packaging ! I got few totally mint items this way...

Scenario 2 : seller knows EXACTLY what is he/she offering. Description from each and every perspective made to wet the appetite even of those who are not really familiar with the item by including links to manufacturer's website, reviews, anything to attract the buyer. Superb pictures taken from each and every angle conceivable - BUT one. Winning bids can go very high, sometimes due to bidding wars out of all proportion. Come the day of delivery - shabby packaging, demage in transit to the ireplaceable item as a result of this negligence on the part of the seller, PLUS the discovery WHY was the pic from that one angle missing - the item was demaged and only partially useable or completely useless. Of course, seller does not take such item back > all the usual blues. Got burned a couple of times this way ...

That is why it is hard to say anything about the tables you mentioned - may be bargains to the extreme, might be total waste of money ( time IS money, too ).

Some travel to Nevada for gambling, some get it for "free" buying used gear online....you win some, you lose some !

I know I did no help you much with this answer; but judging from your questions it seems you are on a very tight budget and I would like to warn you against possible dangers that lurk in such cases. Getting 3 duds at $50 each is more costly than paying $150 for perfect item you can test prior the purchase - in first case you are left with nothing, in second you are good for x years.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #254 of 3,585
Hey guys. I have an Audio-Technica ATP LP 120 and I need a receiver for it. I admit I have no idea where to start with this kind of thing. My price range is a few hundred dollars, I live in Canada, and I would like to connect both my turntable and my laptop if that is possible as well. Any info or places I should look?

Yes,you can connect a laptop and your TT to a receiver, which will then power either speakers or headphones. You want to make sure you get a receiver that has a "Phono" input. If you go the vintage receiver route, almost all of them do. And you can also get a integrated amp, which is just a receiver minus the radio tuner, if you don't care about the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back