TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Aug 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #106 of 3,585
Quote:
You should not touch the stylus in any way. You cannot possibly "fix" it if there is a problem. Are OU saying the stylus in your Pearl does not come down the way the one in the picture does?if that's the case, you need to get it replaced.

I never touched it, to be clear, though I can, though it's barely visible. And yes, it's far past the removable plastic faceplate and inside the actual cartridge unit. Hopefully the place I bought it from will offer a replacement, thanks for your help!

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #107 of 3,585
They certainly should! Good luck.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #108 of 3,585
I'm looking to get a turntable. I've always kinda wanted one, but that was back before I knew what I was doing and talking about. Now that I know a little something, I'm kinda taken aback by the prices. I just saw a used turntable on audiogon for 22,000. While I'm sure it's pretty awesome, I'd like to keep the whole thing around 300. I wasn't even aware, until recently, that you need a "phono stage" with a turntable either, so that's yet another expense.
It seems there are some decent looking options from Music Hall, ProJect, and some others around my price range. 

So my questions are:
1. Does the turntable make a difference or is it the cartridge? Can you put a great needle on a crappy turntable and get good results? What is it that's going to effect the sound the most? The table or the needle?

2. Does the phono stage make a huge difference? Will a budget one work just fine for now?I just dumped a ton of money into a Valhalla, Bifrost, and some HD650's, so the cheaper the better. 

3. Is 300 a realistic budget for a decent turntable and phono stage setup?

Thanks!

S-

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #109 of 3,585
This is audio - everything makes a difference :wink:

But you can get a basic set up that will make playing records fun for that price. It will require more work on your part, however. You can get a decent used vintage direct drive turntable for under $100 easily from garage sales or Craigslist. Do a little research and you will find what some decent models are. Then read up on cartridge adjustment at the top of this thread (and the video I linked to). Buy an inexpensive but well regarded cartridge like the Shure M97xe and install it. Then buy a phono stage from phonopreamps.com where you can get a decent one for $60. You can stay under $300 this way, and you can later make upgrades if you find you enjoy the whole process of acquiring, cleaning, and most importantly, playing records.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #110 of 3,585
If you could manage $100 more you could just get one of these:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Stores/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Turntable

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #111 of 3,585
Yup - that's the easy way! Although you would still need a basic phono stage. But you can get all that for $500 total, and it will have the very big advantage of having a nice cartridge already set up and ready to go.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #112 of 3,585
I am looking to get a turntable and after some reading, I've narrowed it down to this setup. Just want to make sure this will work and if there is something better in the same price range. 

Music Hall MMF 2.1/2.2 (searching for a used one right now)
Bellari VP130
HD 600

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #114 of 3,585
I am looking to get a turntable and after some reading, I've narrowed it down to this setup. Just want to make sure this will work and if there is something better in the same price range. 

Music Hall MMF 2.1/2.2 (searching for a used one right now)
Bellari VP130
HD 600

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Should be nice!

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #115 of 3,585
I have a project debut III and am looking to get the rest of my gear.

I'm budget conscious so I am looking for the rest of the setup to be no greater than $300 USD.

I am not quite sure what I am looking for in my equipment as the turntable was given to me and I don't know much about audio. I am just looking to be able to play mostly classic rock records with good quality sound. I think from basic googling that I will need a phono pre-amp either on its own or also built with and amp. I also need speakers. Other than that I am fairly lost.

Any help or advice on what to buy and where to look for more information would be appreciated.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #116 of 3,585
So do I understand correctly that the ONLY thing you have is the turntable? Nothing else? Does it even have a cartridge? You have no amp or headphones or speakers?

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #117 of 3,585
How's the Music Hall MMF 2.1. There's one on the local CL for 150

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ele/3188103312.html

Did some initial looking around and it seems to be decent entry level table. 
How does it compare to the Pro-Ject stuff?

S-

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #118 of 3,585
I have just the turntable with whatever cartridge came with it. It is fully functioning and have heard it work before it was given to me.  I have sennheiser hd 448s. I do not have an amp or speakers to hook up to it.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #119 of 3,585
OK, so you need a phono preamp, and amp to drive the headphones, which could be a headphone amp, unless you do want to drive speakers as it seemed you might from your first post. If so, getting an integrated amp or receiver that has a phono stage built in and a decent headphone out mightbe the best bet. Depending on your budget, there are both modern and vintage units that might fit the bill.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #120 of 3,585
I want to drive some speakers. I am looking to get the receiver and speakers for no more than $300 USD. I don't mind if it's used or new as long as it's functioning and decent sounding. What should I be looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back