TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jun 20, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #3,571 of 3,585
Hello everyone.

I have recently got back into Vinyl after a break of over 20 years. Initially I was disappointed with the sound but after realizing I needed a decent turntable and Phono-amp to get good sound, I am enjoying the experience immensely.

I do however have a question about VTA setup on my Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Basic+ turntable using a Mani phono amp:

Can I adjust the VTA of the tonearm or do I need to 'shim' the cartridge and if so how do I do it?
The manual makes no reference to VTA at all and I cant find anything online.

I know the turntable is not that common but it does share it's tonearm with the Project Essential model (HFC 347), so maybe someone has experience of adjusting VTA on that?

Also does the VTA need adjusting anyway? I have attached a picture that is my 'attempt' to ascertain this.

To my eyes it looks a perfect 20 degrees but I cant shake the feeling that the sound is lacking slightly in the treble frequencies.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Usually manufacturers make a big deal if the VTA is adjustable. The best option is to have one you can adjust during play (rare). 20 degrees isn't the only cutter head angle. Some are 15, some are 17, some are in the range of 15-20. Your cantilever might also be off, so what works with one LP may not work with the replacement cartridge.

After getting everything level, and lube, belt (if any of the former two) set, and the cartridge in the arm set-up with a protractor, you are set to fly. First thing is get the TT off any floor stand, get the dustcover off during play. Instead mount on the wall, or in a closet, and tough the disk, because in 98% of the cases the dustcover is attached in a flimsy way and it'll add to the vibrations. Analog is an art that is imperfectable - but can be very enjoyable, have fun.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #3,572 of 3,585
Great thread Skylab. Question for MC cartridge users, do you guys find it necessary to have a separate step up transformer? and which ones do you recommend? I was looking at Bob's.

I'll be using with the Dynavector 20X2L. My phono pre is the V-LPS II and has support for MC but I haven't quite tested it out yet.

Unless it's billed as a high output MC, or you have a very high gain pre-amp, could well need a step up.

Some transformers are out there to do the job, but usually its discrete non-tubes.

My set-up about 20 years was a Shelter 501 and Koetsu Rosewood with a Pass Ono and a Pass P

Lots of help on line for these questions.

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #3,575 of 3,585
Be careful. The Denon DL-103R only outputs .25mV not 2.5 as you quoted. Major difference.
The 103R is quite low in the output department but a great sounding cartridge for around $400 CAN.
As I said it's 2.5 with the step-up transformer (Denon AU-300LC), which increases the gain 10x.
It's still not enough for my phono amp's (PS Audio GCPH) power curve, so I'm sticking with the regular DL-103 and everything is perfect.

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #3,576 of 3,585
Morning all,
I need a little advice regarding turntables, at the moment I have a reasonable system consisting of mainly Technics equipment bought off eBay, CD, tuner, nice Denon amp, and a Pioneer PL-990 auto turntable, all bought on a budget and now I have a bit more cash I'm looking at upgrading the turntable.

I must admit to being hooked on the 'bay', so much choice, new or secondhand, so much choice in the fact that I have got rather confused.
I have looked at Technics, Rega, Pioneer, Project, and I read all the reviews on the different markets. I have come up with a short list consisting of Pioneer PL-12D, Rega RP1 or Rega planar models, Project carbon, I have a budget of about £400.
I like the look of the Pioneer PL-12D but is it reliable and repairable if it goes wrong, same goes for the Rega Planar, are they reliable? Is it better to perhaps get a new Rega RP1 and upgrade it at a later date,(is there a source where I could learn more about upgrading turntables?)

I really have dug a hole for myself as I'm now wondering whether to take a chance with second hand or go new with a guarantee, could do with some opinions, what would you do? ??

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #3,577 of 3,585
I'd look for a used P3, much better tone arm

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #3,578 of 3,585
Here's an interesting upgrade for owners of the Project Debut range, Xpression range and Rega P series: https://www.acoustand.co.uk/collect...ter-upgrade-for-pro-ject-xpression-turntables

I have just got one in to test, the bearing is so much smoother that the sub-platter now spins effortlessly, and the added weight is impressive.

67836090_2290152571032824_6271525002399449088_o.jpg

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #3,580 of 3,585
Now I just need the acry it platter for the top, and possibly a blue stylus.

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #3,581 of 3,585
hello i am new to vinyl but lately i find it intriguing i would like to purchase a turntable and a phono pre to use with my currunt set up for audioengine a5+ what would you recomand? should i go with a realy simple phono and a good turntable and upgrade? should i buy it used? which companies offer the best quality?

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #3,582 of 3,585
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #3,584 of 3,585
Hi all,
I am in a head over toes whether I should get the RP3 Anniversary, or the RP6.

The anniversary seems like a very good upgrade from what I am having, and having a good feeling since it is a half-century REGA packs, same as the anniversary for Dark Side of the Moon. But then again deep inside me, I know the RP6 would be better in the long run and it will take me longer to enjoy and upgrade again.

And if I am getting the RP6, whats an idea on the phono stage?

My current setup is with AT-1240 + Vessel A3SE + Willsenton R8 (tube rolled).

Tell me what u all think, please.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #3,585 of 3,585
Get a Rega if you’re ok with not adjusting VTA when you change cartridges. They make their cartridges short by ~3mm compared to normal cartridge heights, and made their tonearms expect that short cartridge.

But other than that I’d choose the RP6 purely for the position it is in upgrade-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back