TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jun 9, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3,151 of 3,585
Ah thanks for that. I removed the belt and spun it freely, it seems to spin very smoothly. Once I attach the belt, it doesn't spin freely anymore. Looking at the belt when the motor spins, I can see the belt vibrating. I can feel the vibration when I touch it as well.

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,152 of 3,585
I did not see your post before - or else I would have suggested the same as Skylab.

Perhaps time to replace the belt with a fresh one. Rubber ages - and some TTs require belt change every 6 months in order to sound their best.

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,153 of 3,585
Regarding your suggestion, Rega does provide a performance pack upgrade for the RP-1 that includes a white belt instead of the stock black one.

But I think for the money I'd rather get an aftermarket sub platter set with the 33 1/3 pulley and double belt. I think the noise floor that I can hear is actually from the belt vibrating.

Oh hey! Bonus points for the Senn HD525, the higher impedance lowered the noise floor so I can't hear the buzzing from my house's grounding wiring anymore.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3,156 of 3,585
Yes I've been reading the same advise as well - not worth upgrading, just spend money on a more expensive turntable instead, which brings me back to my regret of selling my previous table. It was only a third of the price of this RP-1.

analogsurviver - Yes that's the thread I saw, and also some on audiokarma as well. Most report good things from upgrading the subplatter. One of the recommended cheap subplatter producer is a Malaysian, and the store is in a mall I go to frequently. However he only sell the subplatter, no pulleys, bearings, or belts. This ebay link however looks more promising as it provides a more comprehensive set for the subplatter upgrade.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TANGOSPINNER-Upgrade-kit-DEL-CARRIL-model-For-Rega-turntables-/201358747629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee1eaa7ed

But if the motor itself is vibrating too much causing the noise to travel into the stylus, I'm afraid the subplatter upgrade might not be adequate. What do you think?

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #3,157 of 3,585
Very simple. Get a good vintage table. But we've been trough that before - Malaysia is no USA or Germany as far as availability/choice - and shipping the table across the globe usually will be a deal breaker at this price point.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #3,158 of 3,585
I think the first (and for the time being only) thing to do is buy a new belt. A belt dries out. A new belt acts like a rubber band when stretched (because that's just what it is, duh) but a belt that has been spinning, slipping and drying out (hot climate) has many small cracks that go past halfway through. If you look closely at the belt you can see it. It you stretch it it feels weak and not resilient anymore.

About the upgrades, if you can get things locally and cheap they are an option. Upgrade is exactly what Rega does to produce a better table. But Rega get his parts wholesale. So for them a better subplatter or motor is $10 instead of $5. But just a few of those better parts make the next model $100 or $200 more expensive. Remember that parts are just a fraction of the retailprice. That is what creates the opportunity for aftermarket upgrades. Selling a subplatter "especially for the RP1" for $50+$20 P+P is still cheaper that the next model. But then you do not have what Rega consideres the best compromise in price and performance. You get an uneven compromise where one link in the chain is much stronger than the whole chain. But it's about the strength of the whole chain. If you know what you are doing it is smart to replace the weakest link, but if you don't know what it is you are basically just tinkering and wasting money.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,159 of 3,585
Both of you are correct. I bought this turntable in a rush because it was about $100 cheaper and I had some dispensable income at the time. I was eyeing on an Amari LP10 table which was twice the price, and also an RP3 with no tonearm for a bit lesser than my TT. Suddenly one night I saw this table for sale locally and I literally jumped out from bed and double checked on my laptop just to be sure. Discussed with the seller and 2 days later I got myself a brand new TT.

But now I can see this might have been a bad investment, and instead of getting this model and later upgrading it, I could've bought a better one straight away if I had waited. The problem was I was impatient and I couldn't let this offer slide. This happens to me a lot of times, more than I could admit.

Then again, for the price I had paid, I might as well make it count. So that's why I'm planning to upgrade the TT bit by bit. Until then I still have my digital setup if I'm looking for accuracy and black background.

The belt is fine by the way, the whole table is new. I think the problem is the budget motor they fitted on the table. the pulley is also plastic.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #3,160 of 3,585
I had some dispensable income at the time. I was eyeing on an Amari LP10 table which was twice the price,

Hmmm :rolleyes: Doesn't that sound familiar... In my case it was an LP20 and a Clearaudio Performance. Yes, Amari, of Hanns, are a lot more expensive in Europe. So in your case I wouldn't have to think for very long. Or maybe an Opera 6.1.

What was the price that made you jump out of bed if I may ask? (just curious about price/performance for various brands/country of origin)

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3,162 of 3,585
Would like to know if there is a record brush that isn't horrible but also not too expensive? I won't say antistatic because that also seems to be fiction. Just a light dusting without causing damage, shedding fibers and embedding them into grooves would be great if its possible.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #3,163 of 3,585
Would like to know if there is a record brush that isn't horrible but also not too expensive? I won't say antistatic because that also seems to be fiction. Just a light dusting without causing damage, shedding fibers and embedding them into grooves would be great if its possible.

The Hunt brush is the best I've used for this application. It's ~$30. If you decide to get one, shoot me a note. There's a bit of a trick to extracting its max performance.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,164 of 3,585
The Hunt brush is the best I've used for this application. It's ~$30. If you decide to get one, shoot me a note. There's a bit of a trick to extracting its max performance.

Yeah this is the one I was thinking of but I have read that some of these might not be the same quality. Possibly some of them are not truly imported from England? I suppose I will take the risk though because they do get high praise most of the time.

Because it's Friday I will leave it in the cart a little longer in case I find something else. The Mobile Fidelity also interest me.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,165 of 3,585
Yeah this is the one I was thinking of but I have read that some of these might not be the same quality. Possibly some of them are not truly imported from England? I suppose I will take the risk though because they do get high praise most of the time.

As the product is so good, a clone is being produced in Asia and typically sold under other names. The clone I bought to try is labeled as Super Exstatic (?). Looks exactly like the Hunt. Different quality, however. If you buy from a reputable store, like Music Direct as an example, the odds of getting a fake are extremely slim.

Because it's Friday I will leave it in the cart a little longer in case I find something else. The Mobile Fidelity also interest me.

If you're talking about the microfiber brush, it is very effective for machine cleaning. I have three that I use with a VPI 16.5: one for enzyme-based fluid, one for non-enzyme fluid, and the third for distilled water. Their handles are tagged with color tape; helps to see which is which, but I digress. The drawback of microfiber is static. During the course of machine cleaning, the brush-driven static is neutralized by the fluid. Of course, there's another chance to pick up static via the felt on the suction tube. I'm mentioning the latter for general benefit. So the bottom line is, if you're thinking of the microfiber brush, you may want to reconsider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back