TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jun 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3,181 of 3,585

I will try to present a truly good setup, assembled together for peanut$ - that can compete, up to a certain point, with "anything". But please understand up to a certain point - when you really want truly excellent performance, there is no other option than to open up the wallet.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. By the way can you quantify just what sort of ball park figure you have in mind by "peanut$"
popcorn.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3,182 of 3,585
  I look forward to seeing what you come up with. By the way can you quantify just what sort of ball park figure you have in mind by "peanut$"
popcorn.gif

Yes - and no. Because one can not PRECISELY predict just how much vintage second hand gear will cost.

IF you have time - and are not pressed into buying "something/anything" ASAP, IF you have done your homework on potentially great but for one reason or another "overlooked" gear, IF you do not have two left hands and can do basic repair and some modding - then, with quite a bit of luck, you can come up with with next-to-miracles.

It really IS crazy little money - sometimes on the verge of believability.

Which does unfortunately NOT mean you do not need test records, at least an oscilloscope, decent ultrasonic RCM (in DIY possible for some 500 ), protractor, stylus VTF gauge - and the knowledge and willingness to use all of these "accessories".

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #3,186 of 3,585
After a few years in storage I'm finally getting round to setting up my Rega Plannar 3 turntable and I have a question about connections to my amp(a Rega Brio-R),because my Rega will be on a shelf away from my Hifi rack where my amp is should I use a phono extension cable( about 8ft long) to my amps built in phono stage or use a external phono stage( I have cheap Project one I can use) and a standard 8ft phono cable.
Only reason I ask is because I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should keep the cable from a turntable as short as possible,I realise I could be worrying about something that wouldn't effect my set up much anyway but I'd rather know for sure which is the correct way to go.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #3,187 of 3,585
The signal from the TT is the weakest link so you want to amplify that before making the run to the amp.  Shouldn't be a huge deal either way as the distance isn't huge.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #3,190 of 3,585
  I've been very curious about the Oscilloscope thing - using it to improve my system. Been thinking about maybe acquiring one pre-owned and learning how to use it.

After I catch my breath from recent recording rush/frenzy, I will post TT setup using Oscilloscope. The trouble is that I do not have a decent camera and photos of the dynamic oscilloscope screen are a big PITA at the moment...

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,191 of 3,585
And what about this oscilloscope? You can store your graphs straight on an SD card and the whole thing goes in a drawer instead of always lurking on your workbench. The 2-channel version costs $120.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,192 of 3,585
And what about this oscilloscope? You can store your graphs straight on an SD card and the whole thing goes in a drawer instead of always lurking on your workbench. The 2-channel version costs $120.

1 MHz bandwidth? Are you serious
biggrin.gif
 ?

If and when they come up with a 20 MHz bandwidth version for say 500, THEN I'm interested. As it is, it is a TOY.

There IS a difference between a 20 MHz and 100 MHz analog scope when measuring phono gear. Some of the garbage coming out of phono can not be seen using bandwidth limited to 20 MHz - but it IS advantageous to have this 20 / 100 MHz limiting choice, as novices are likely to get lost in the noise 100 MHz option brings.

Like it or not - the greatness of phono gear lies in how well it performs OUTSIDE the 20 Hz-20 kHz range - IF it is at least acceptable below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz, you get (almost) perfect reproduction of the 20 Hz-20 kHz - almost by default and for "free" - so to speak. It is particularly evident and AUDIBLE as reduction of the surface vinyl noise - carts that can extend their response well above 20 kHz and remain sharp Q peak free, WILL ALWAYS exhibit very low vinyl noise. The champion in this regard was the original Lyra Clavis cartridge - it was one hell of a lot quieter than any of the competition - because of precisely its well-behaved performance way above 20 kHz . Others were simply forced to follow suit...

There IS a reason WHY people are prepared to shell out in excess of 1K for a NOS sample of vintage Audio Technica AT-ML170OCC ( MM !)  cartridge and/or stylus.

The phono gear that measures superbly only within 20-20 kHz and fails miserably below 20 Hz - and particularly ABOVE 20 kHz - is NEVER going to sound right.
And one  can try to sugar coat it any way one likes - to no avail. When confronted in direct comparison with extended response/peak free gear, those that can not compete will get ruthlessly eliminated.

NO ifs and buts.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #3,193 of 3,585

After I catch my breath from recent recording rush/frenzy, I will post TT setup using Oscilloscope. The trouble is that I do not have a decent camera and photos of the dynamic oscilloscope screen are a big PITA at the moment...

Thanks. I'd be interested in measuring both my analog and digital rigs.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #3,194 of 3,585
1 MHz bandwidth? Are you serious :D  ?

If and when they come up with a 20 MHz bandwidth version for say 500, THEN I'm interested. As it is, it is a TOY.

There IS a difference between a 20 MHz and 100 MHz analog scope when measuring phono gear. Some of the garbage coming out of phono can not be seen using bandwidth limited to 20 MHz - but it IS advantageous to have this 20 / 100 MHz limiting choice, as novices are likely to get lost in the noise 100 MHz option brings.

Like it or not - the greatness of phono gear lies in how well it performs OUTSIDE the 20 Hz-20 kHz range

Are you serious? Or mistaken? I'm confused. The bandwidth is 1 megahertz, that is 1,000,000,000 Hz. Or 1000 kHz. 20-20kHz falls well into the range of 0-1000kHz. As you can see a 20 kHz is displayed as an example, and with ease and makes imperfections clearly visible. The small size nor it's capabilities make it a toy. Just like my smartphone is hardly a toy, given it has the same capabilities as my previous computers used to have.

If 1 MegaHz is not enough pls explain to me a bit better (verbose) why not. You know you don't have to explain to ME the merits of phono above the 20kHz range... :p

The cheaper model DSO201 has only one channel and only half the price. But that seems to me not suited for measuring stereo. Even if it is only to check. Not very convenient when adjusting the cartridge for alignment or anti-skatingforce.

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,195 of 3,585
I just saved myself €120 or more.

I thought my stylus had worn down, but i checked with an magnifying glass, and lo! Dust.

Took a cotton swab and very carefully cleaned the diamond tip. It sounds fantastic again.

I usually clean the stylus with the carbon brush i have, but apparently that's not enough.

The picture below is in 3D, because i can. Cross-eyed 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back