TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 21, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,987 of 3,585
I have a project debut and have gone thru the same issues. that buzz is from the tonearm lead wires being damaged somewhere. this could be at the cartridge, might try to resolder those connections.. also on the bottom remove the cover under the. tonearm and check those connections..

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,988 of 3,585
I have a project debut and have gone thru the same issues. that buzz is from the tonearm lead wires being damaged somewhere. this could be at the cartridge, might try to resolder those connections.. also on the bottom remove the cover under the. tonearm and check those connections..

Cartridge leads seem fine, but I'll give them a closer look.

I'm not sure I understand that last bit, however : "on the bottom remove the cover under the tonearm and check those connections". Could you be more precise ?
A quick glance shows nothing that's removable.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,989 of 3,585
Cartridge leads seem fine, but I'll give them a closer look.

I'm not sure I understand that last bit, however : "on the bottom remove the cover under the tonearm and check those connections". Could you be more precise ?
A quick glance shows nothing that's removable.

I mean under the plinth, where the RCAs are. I don't know if the espirit is different under the hood than the debut..

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,990 of 3,585
I mean under the plinth, where the RCAs are. I don't know if the espirit is different under the hood than the debut..

Thanks, I see what you mean now. I'll take a look.

That said, given I had the exact same hum or ringing sound with my brother's Rega 1 table when I tried it on my system, I suppose it's unlikely to be a bad connection ?

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,992 of 3,585

Thanks, I see what you mean now. I'll take a look.

That said, given I had the exact same hum or ringing sound with my brother's Rega 1 table when I tried it on my system, I suppose it's unlikely to be a bad connection ?

hmm yes unlikely .. something is ungrounded in the wires somewhere though..

I have a debut carbon also and experienced multiple hum problems along the way. I was able to resolve most of them and I can say the biggest 2 contributors, for me, to fixing the problem:

1) Removing RF noise from around the TT
2) Building a better grounding cable (custom built from 2 x 24awg wires twisted together) and replacing the stock ground cable
3) Making sure the screws on the grounding posts are screwed in tight

By the way, I came to accept that you I will not be able to eliminate hum 100%. When I obsess over the hum and wanting to have complete darkness and zero noise floor between tracks is when I get into trouble. Chillaxing and enjoying the LP, which is the whole point, makes the un-noticable hum...well un-noticable 
wink.gif

Cheers

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,993 of 3,585
Does anyone know if any of the replacement stylus compatible with the Pickering XV-15 cartridge within the $15-40 range are decent?

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,994 of 3,585
  Does anyone know if any of the replacement stylus compatible with the Pickering XV-15 cartridge within the $15-40 range are decent?

Hate to bring it to you - BUT the answer would be - no. 

Original Stanton/Pickering were VERY well made products - generally NEVER replicated with replicas - at ANY cost. 

To be blunt - it IS possible to score a $1 VERY decent TT/arm/cartridge on ebay/craiglist/etc - the condition of the stylus, if present at all, will be questionable.

It is NOT possible to get a truly decent stylus at that price - even aftermarket replica. The Swiss replicas in this price at least usually do have precisely ground and aligned styli - but you will have to sacrifice effective stylus tip mass ( highs...) at this price level. I do have one Stanton replica for 680/681 cart - although not downright bad, it IS appreciably inferior to the original. DL-4S ( top stylus for 681 style cart, this is Pickering P-Mount version ) runs rings, alphas and omegas around the replica - but even more so does the price, as original Stanton/Pickering styli are becoming unobtainium. http://www.adelcom.net/PickeringStylus1.htm

Some help: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55483

Over at Lencoheaven is a guy who used to work there and wrote a book on the subject of Stanton/Pickering styli : http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=158.15 If you do your homework and find less "known" styli of quality comparable to or even exceeding the "original" - at lower price - fine; otherwise, it WILL be more than 40 bucks. Although this is replacement for TOTL cart(s) http://www.lpgear.com/product/STAD0098S.html , there are zualum ( whatever that is...) Shibata tipped styli for other similar carts - and these are reportedly decent. At about 100 a pop. For XV 15, they only have http://www.lpgear.com/product/PICSD0625.html Jico Japan does provide better - at cost : http://stylus.export-japan.com/index.php?cPath=91

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #2,995 of 3,585
Well maybe this makes me kind of lean back to thinking just get a new cartridge. A friend brought me an old Technics 1300 with the Pickering and the stylus was trash so I just figured maybe later I would try putting a new cartridge. Then on one forum I saw someone say good things about the Pickering so I thought I would try it out. I might still just to see how the table works because its cheaper than a new cart and I don't want to take the one off my other table. :)

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #2,997 of 3,585
Haha, maybe later. I don't think anything that I have would be worthy of that "big" an upgrade yet. Im pretty much broke but just looking into different options for now.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #2,998 of 3,585
  Hello all,

A while back, I wrote about a hum problem that I had trouble with. Since I'm still suffering from it, I thought I'd post back. I've copied my first below, with my intial findings.

As suggested by Skylab, I looked at power conditionners, but found none that would make sense from a budget point of view (I paid 300 euros for the TT and can't justifiy paying that again for an accessory now, however useful it might be).

Since first posting, I've taken care to isolate RCA cables from speaker cables and power cords as much as possible, which did seem to attenuate the problem somewhat (hard to be sure), but never solved it.

More significantly perhaps, I've also noted that the TT was liable to hum when unplugged from the Surge Protector. Does this shed new light on my issue ?

Or should I, at this point, give up on Pro-ject altogether and try to send the thing back to Amazon, from whence it came ? I tried contacting Pro-ject (even getting in touch with boss Heinz Lichtenegger) and their French ditributor, and both refuse to honour warranties for Amazon-purchased products.

If I should send it back, could anyone recommend another model, hopefully for less than 700 euros, that would solve my issue ? Would the new Speedbox equipped Carbon Esprit, advertised as having a better power-stage be advisable ?

Much lookign forward for help and suggestions.

I made a short clip illustrating the problem here :  

My set-up is as follows :
Pro-ject Carbon Esprit, with Ortofon 2M Red
Rega Fono Mini phono preamp
Atoll In30 integrated amp
Dali Zensor 1 speakers
Nuforce Icon HDP DAC
I use the Pro-ject RCA cables that came with the turntable, which is grounded to the pre-amp.
All this is connected to the same surge protector (Belkin Surgemaster Gold as it's called), as are a PC and a monitor.

The hum shown on video is triggered randomly. Often many times during a single listening session (today, for instance I heard it at 4:08, 4:21, 4:27, 4:38, 4:46, 4:52 and 17:01PM, typically I hear that sound for a few seconds before it stops and eventually starts again), some days not at all. I sometimes get the hum when the turntable is not actually turning (as in teh video). I hear the hum on both channels.

I've used three different turntables : my own Pro-ject Carbon with an Ortofon cartridge, a Rega RP1 with another Ortofon cartridge (an OM5e) and my vintage ERA 444 with a Shure cartridge (not sure  what the model, other than it's a p-mount), and get that same hum with both modern-day Ortofon-fitted turntables and not at all with the ERA. I've also used a different pre-amp (a cheap TC-4 pre-amp) and got the hum with it as well.

I've put ferrite chockes on the TT cables, to no avail.

I'd be very grateful for some help with this as the issue's driving me mad.

Get rid of the power conditioner and ferrite for now. You can reintroduce them later. If it happened with two tables, other than a defective phono stage, it's RF, grounding or magnetic field interference. 1st thing to try is hooking the table up as the only source and disconnect the dac or any video kit. If still humming, it's not aground loop that is common with cable boxes and the like. Next, pick it up and move it with the volume up just enough to clearly hear the hum. if it gets significantly better as it moves away from a transformer, you have your answer, if it varies sporadically, it's likely RF which is always a bugger to fix.

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,000 of 3,585
Hi, just got a turntable, the Onkyo cp 1050. Anybody send me a link or tell me recommendations for an affordable and sturdy table for my new equipment?
On a budget the ikea expedit 2x4 works well turned 2 high by 4 wide is a good height. The squares are the perfect size for vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back