TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Oct 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,761 of 3,585
I've known about Ghost for a long time, never really cared for them

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #2,762 of 3,585

How can you get better than creepy?

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,765 of 3,585
That level of randomness combined with the fact that the noise occurs with multiple setups certainly seems to indicate something going on with the incoming AC power. That Belkin is a very basic surge protector with very basic AC noise filtering. It's possible that a true AC line conditioner might help. You might also try to find a PS Audio Humbuster. I'm not sure that they still make them, but a used one would obviously be fine. I use one to isolate my CATV power from the rest of my system with good results.

Thanks. I've tried looking around for the Humbuster you mentionned. No luck. Is there anything else, in production, you could recommend ? Preferably available in Europe ?

Would something like this be adequate : http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=M-10xE ?

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,766 of 3,585
Do you happen to live close to a powerline?

is your amplifier properly grounded? It seems like some sort of build up of electrical interference.

I am, alas, woefully ignorant of electricity matters. I have no idea whether I live close to a powerline or not, and don't know how I could find this out either.

Likewise, I don't know if my amp is properly grounded or not. I only know that its cord has a ground slot and that my surge protector has a ground plug that fits into it.

While I do get some electronic noise and parasites when using the DAC at very high volume (not playing music), I haven't had the TT hum problem shown on video with it. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,767 of 3,585
Thanks. I've tried looking around for the Humbuster you mentionned. No luck. Is there anything else, in production, you could recommend ? Preferably available in Europe ?

Would something like this be adequate : http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=M-10xE ?

Unfortunately I have no experience with that product so I have no way to know whether it would help you or not.

I would advise buying from a local shop that allows returns.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #2,769 of 3,585
Hey guys, I am new to these forums and I have recently started my Audiophile turntable set up. I wanted to ask some opinions after sharing the components I have purchased.

So for my turntable I have purchased a vintage JVC f41 turntable in mint condition (accept for the dust cover) with no functional issues. It has a Audio-Technica AT403EP Cartridge on it. 

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/l-f41.shtml

Then I purchased a pioneer sx-253r receiver amp in perfect functional (and cosmetic) condition from the same guy.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-253r.shtml

Lastly I purchased a pair of KHL pro 11 speakers with a peak wattage of 100 watts, which is a whole 25 watts greater than the receiver per channel. I heard this will reduce speaker damage long term. 

The speakers themselves are wooden cases, no idea how old they are but I also heard that wooden encasings make for a better sound?

They don't look too old, they could be vintage but they definitely don't appear to be 70s or 80s vintage. But who knows. 

Here is what they look like.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mCw5wImmOm81VvBu1MpQc1g.jpg

So, what do you all think of my set up to be? I did quite a bit of research before settling on each component. 

I am wondering if I should consider adding a graphics equalizer to maximize fidelity. 

What else am I missing? 

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2,770 of 3,585
  So, what do you all think of my set up to be? I did quite a bit of research before settling on each component. 

I am wondering if I should consider adding a graphics equalizer to maximize fidelity. 

What else am I missing? 

well first off before anyone brings it up you must never listen to anyone who says "pure direct is the only way!" (there are a lot of them)

a graphic EQ isn't completely necessary but if you want to compensate for acoustic and environmental variables then an EQ would be nice. I'd like to get one but honestly can't be arsed with setting it up

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #2,771 of 3,585
well first off before anyone brings it up you must never listen to anyone who says "pure direct is the only way!" (there are a lot of them)

a graphic EQ isn't completely necessary but if you want to compensate for acoustic and environmental variables then an EQ would be nice. I'd like to get one but honestly can't be arsed with setting it up

Yeah. You should enjoy listening to the music, and if you want to change the sound signature of it all, don't be afraid to do so. It's your party, and you can do what you want to :)

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,772 of 3,585
  Hey guys, I am new to these forums and I have recently started my Audiophile turntable set up. I wanted to ask some opinions after sharing the components I have purchased.

So for my turntable I have purchased a vintage JVC f41 turntable in mint condition (accept for the dust cover) with no functional issues. It has a Audio-Technica AT403EP Cartridge on it. 

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/l-f41.shtml

Then I purchased a pioneer sx-253r receiver amp in perfect functional (and cosmetic) condition from the same guy.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-253r.shtml

Lastly I purchased a pair of KHL pro 11 speakers with a peak wattage of 100 watts, which is a whole 25 watts greater than the receiver per channel. I heard this will reduce speaker damage long term. 

The speakers themselves are wooden cases, no idea how old they are but I also heard that wooden encasings make for a better sound?

They don't look too old, they could be vintage but they definitely don't appear to be 70s or 80s vintage. But who knows. 

Here is what they look like.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mCw5wImmOm81VvBu1MpQc1g.jpg

What else am I missing? 

Sir, you did well. It is nothing to write home about, but should give you years of reasonable quality music reproduction at an acceptable cost. The rest of $ is better spent on the software - vinyl itself.

AT-403EP cartridge is a T4P P-Mount version of the AT 120 family - and can take all the styli in this vast family. Of current production ATN-440MLa and ATN-150MLX
are the top replacements - but JICO also makes Shibata profile styli that fit for less money.

Equalizer, if of enough high quality and used correctly, is perhaps one of the best choices you can make in an audio system. But it is true that satisfying that "if" may prove to be a bit much - do not give up if the first attempt will not sound as you intended or wished for.

Please read about test records, stylus cleaners, record cleaning machines "quite a couple posts back" in this thread. And then settle for something you are comfortable with as you progress on your analog journey .

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #2,773 of 3,585

A graphic - or better yet, parametric - equalizer can also be used in otherwise theorethically totally "flat acoustic systems". There are phono cartridges that deviate from flat response, but are otherwise superb ( they have great dynamic range, low non-linear distortion, good channel separation, etc - their only shortcoming is somewhat loose frequency response ) - and if those wrinkles in frequency response are ironed out by the use of an equalizer, one is rewarded with superb performance, often eclipsing that of the cartridges with linear response ( but inferior in all the rest of the above ). But the adjustments to the equalizer have to be made quite precisely - it is unfortunately very easy to make a mess. 

Remember - pro EQs can be 1/3 octave and have the maximum gain or loss less than 3 dB ...

Time permitting, I will post the sonic results of a "lucky coincidence" pairing of a cartridge and graphic EQ with presets (as easy and as lazy as one can possibly hope for ...) - that complement each other so well that bothering with yet more precise parametric EQ would border on gilding lillies.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #2,774 of 3,585
I'm not sure if this has be asked before but has anyone had any experience with the Schiit Mani?
I'm using the Schiit Mani. That said, it is my first and only phono preamp. So, I don't have anything other phono preamps to compare it to. I can say that it with my Rega RP1 and good vinyl beat the pants off of my high res digital audio. Not to sound cliche, but it's way more musical and life like.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #2,775 of 3,585

If you are referring to direct drive units, the one I purchased is one. But I am actually having the guy replace it with a technic unit that is even better since there is something loose inside this one which  just determined a little while ago. 

In my research it seemed important to me to acquire a table with speed adjustment to counter any drive issues that may occur over time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back