TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 14, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #2,356 of 3,585
Why even mention it then? :p

Whoops. Meant AT 2002 cartridge, not stylus. Not a clue which stylus was on there(not that it matters as it's broken now anyways)

On the EPC cartridge, i have a €30 stylus, however i will upgrade the cartridge as a whole.

EPC P202C is a VERY GOOD cartridge - and far too many "upgrade" from it - without ever giving it a fair try. Jico SAS with boron cantilever for EPC 22/202Cis the easy way out today - but I did the whole Per aspera ad astra yourney, back tracking and dot-connecting journey of Technics styli that are interchangeable - from BOTL to the TOTL, and know what various colours and line markings, if present, denote - even if the stylus itself is long gone. It took me couple of years to gather this information - the hard way.

In fact, to really upgrade from the EPC P202C, it takes one hell of a lot of money - MORE than normally paid for any SL linear table. EPC P205ED3 and '4, EPC P310MC (and MK2), EPC P100CMK4 - ANY of these, in ascending order, will run rings around the more usual suspects.

Grado P-mounts perform in SL linear arm really really well. If equalized, better ones can be stunningly good. These can be had for reasonable money - and are readily available..

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,357 of 3,585
  I was very pleased with the improvement the jico SAS boron cantilever stylus made with my set up. Its definitely the most expensive thing in £ per gram terms I have ever brought!

The diamond styli, particularly the Micro Line/Ridge/Edge/SAS, ARE the costliest thing per weight known to man - diamond value as raw material, although anything but cheap, pales in the overall picture - the smaller the diamond, the better, the smaller it is, the harder it is to manufacture, the smaller it is, harder to keep the tolerances ...-
it just spirals and ... spirals.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2,358 of 3,585
Hello, need some help regarding my setup.

I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon that I want to get on my current setup which consists of the following

Cambridge Audio DACMagic, KRK VXT6s and Emotiva Ultra Sub.

I still need a preamp, would it be smart to get a preamp that has output to toslink/spdif and have that connect straight to my DACMagic? Does such a thing exist?

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,359 of 3,585
It kind of defeats the purpose to buy a turntable and then convert it to digital :wink:

You could use something like this to switch between your DACMagic and the TT:

http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-753LCpp.html

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,360 of 3,585
I actually have a pre-setup question!

I just located an old TT languishing in a box in my basement, a Technics SL-Q200. It's direct drive and is equipped with a (presumably very old) Ortofon cartridge. After a little research, I've determined that it's about 30 years old and sold for about $140. I got it working with an old receiver that has a phono input, but I got a lot of static when I listened to it. I'm not sure if that was the fault of the receiver and cables from 1989 or the TT itself. Also the cueing toggle is broken (it's still possible to get the needle down, though).

The Technics

Old-as-dirt cartridge

I also own a Audio-Technica AT-LP2D (http://www.amazon.com/AT-LP2D-USB-Automatic-Turntable-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000UKUDSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394908683&sr=8-1&keywords=audio-technica+at-lp2d-usb) which I've used to digitize vinyl for the past few years (mostly with middling results). It's belt-drive and equipped with the standard A-T cartridge.

The Audio-Technica

My question is this: Is it worth spending a little money to purchase a new cartridge and a decent preamp to replace the Audio-Technica with the Technics TT, or should I put it back in that box?

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,361 of 3,585
  I actually have a pre-setup question!

I just located an old TT languishing in a box in my basement, a Technics SL-Q200. It's direct drive and is equipped with a (presumably very old) Ortofon cartridge. After a little research, I've determined that it's about 30 years old and sold for about $140. I got it working with an old receiver that has a phono input, but I got a lot of static when I listened to it. I'm not sure if that was the fault of the receiver and cables from 1989 or the TT itself. Also the cueing toggle is broken (it's still possible to get the needle down, though).

The Technics

Old-as-dirt cartridge

I also own a Audio-Technica AT-LP2D (http://www.amazon.com/AT-LP2D-USB-Automatic-Turntable-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000UKUDSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394908683&sr=8-1&keywords=audio-technica+at-lp2d-usb) which I've used to digitize vinyl for the past few years (mostly with middling results). It's belt-drive and equipped with the standard A-T cartridge.

The Audio-Technica

My question is this: Is it worth spending a little money to purchase a new cartridge and a decent preamp to replace the Audio-Technica with the Technics TT, or should I put it back in that box?

Thanks!

Out it stays - Technics TT, that is.  It is MUCH better than the AT LP2D.

No need to replace the whole T4P ( P-Mount) cartridge. You have an Ortofon OMP 10H - and you can get any stylus from Stylus 3 to Stylus 40 to replace>upgrade what you have at the moment. Reasonable would be Stylus 20, but if you can, try to get Digitrac 300SE cartridge - it is Ortofon produced Stylus 30 in disguise : http://www.ebay.de/itm/Digitrac-300-SE-300SE-T4P-P-Mount-System-NOS-/390289443821?pt=Plattenspielerzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item5adf104bed Appearently, the supply for these is drying fast - so act quickly, if you want one. They ocassionally pop up on various ebay sites too. Ortofon Stylus 30 alone is much more expensive. The only "surgery" required to use Digitrac stylus on your Ortofon cart is cutting off a small plastic tab preventing proper insertion of the stylus into the cartridge. 1o seconds with a sharp knife, steady hand and you are good to go.

Regarding hum/static etc; replace (or have replaced) the phono wiring. These cables were not great to begin with and 30+ years did not do any good to them. Make sure that the signal output cables are LOW CAPACITY type - so that using MM cartridges requiring low capacitive load will be possible. 

There have been MANY cases where a vintage TT was buzzing like hornets' nest prior replacement of old cables - 10 $ for cable and connectors and about half an hour later, normal operation was restored. 

Although not stellar, your Technics is a decent performer and should give you many hours of good reproduction if you follow the above. It would cost you at least $ 400 or so to meaningfuly improve upon it - without the cartridge/stylus.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,362 of 3,585
Your best bet will be a balanced preamp. Something like the Audio Gd NFB-6 balanced pre-amp/headphone amp would actually work nicely and I've seen them under $400 used, including one right now on Audiogon (no affiliation and I cannot vouch for seller!) There is another one there for $400 I saw on a quick check but I've not heard of the brand. There are better balanced preamps of course but they cost more.

Thanks for the advice.  The CleanBox pro sounded better than I thought it would.  

For a more elegant preamp solution, I'm leaning toward the Little Dot MK VI+ MK6+.  Have you heard anything at all about it?  I have a bit of a tube bias in my blood...

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,363 of 3,585

Keep the technics, ditch the AT table. The Ortofon cart is actually VERY good, especially with the OM20 or OM30 stylus. And the Technics isn't a bad table either.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,364 of 3,585
Ended up picking a 1200mk2 up on ebay for $515 total.  Hopefully its not beat up, it looked good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-1200MK2-Quartz-Direct-Drive-Turntable-System-/221390691580?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AUS%3A3160&item=221390691580&nma=true&si=uqoTlKihbzElTWMfsNPzjB5Ajrk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,365 of 3,585
  Ended up picking a 1200mk2 up on ebay for $515 total.  Hopefully its not beat up, it looked good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-1200MK2-Quartz-Direct-Drive-Turntable-System-/221390691580?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AUS%3A3160&item=221390691580&nma=true&si=uqoTlKihbzElTWMfsNPzjB5Ajrk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That looks really clean, probably a later version, check the serial number on the back.  The month and year of build corresponds to the letters ex. CC is March 2003.  No decade is given, but wear on the table should make it somewhat obvious. 

Hope it plays as good as it looks 
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,366 of 3,585
  Out it stays - Technics TT, that is.  It is MUCH better than the AT LP2D.

No need to replace the whole T4P ( P-Mount) cartridge. You have an Ortofon OMP 10H - and you can get any stylus from Stylus 3 to Stylus 40 to replace>upgrade what you have at the moment. Reasonable would be Stylus 20, but if you can, try to get Digitrac 300SE cartridge - it is Ortofon produced Stylus 30 in disguise : http://www.ebay.de/itm/Digitrac-300-SE-300SE-T4P-P-Mount-System-NOS-/390289443821?pt=Plattenspielerzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item5adf104bed Appearently, the supply for these is drying fast - so act quickly, if you want one. They ocassionally pop up on various ebay sites too. Ortofon Stylus 30 alone is much more expensive. The only "surgery" required to use Digitrac stylus on your Ortofon cart is cutting off a small plastic tab preventing proper insertion of the stylus into the cartridge. 1o seconds with a sharp knife, steady hand and you are good to go.

Regarding hum/static etc; replace (or have replaced) the phono wiring. These cables were not great to begin with and 30+ years did not do any good to them. Make sure that the signal output cables are LOW CAPACITY type - so that using MM cartridges requiring low capacitive load will be possible. 

There have been MANY cases where a vintage TT was buzzing like hornets' nest prior replacement of old cables - 10 $ for cable and connectors and about half an hour later, normal operation was restored. 

Although not stellar, your Technics is a decent performer and should give you many hours of good reproduction if you follow the above. It would cost you at least $ 400 or so to meaningfuly improve upon it - without the cartridge/stylus.

Just to clarify (sorry, I'm a flaming newbie), I take it by phono wiring you are referring to the external (unpluggable) ones from TT to preamp, not anything internal? Also, do you have any advice on the busted cueing toggle? Is there any way that I can open the TT up and repair it easily (as in a belt has snapped) or is it generally a thing that's unfixable, barring the expenditure of large sums of money? And one final thing (I know this is a lot, thank you for being patient): about how much should I plan to spend on a decent preamp? I know that they can come extremely cheap, but as with anything in audio, I'm sure that a bum preamp can erase any benefits from investing in new stylus and wires. Thanks for your patience, and your extremely helpful and detailed response!

Keep the technics, ditch the AT table. The Ortofon cart is actually VERY good, especially with the OM20 or OM30 stylus. And the Technics isn't a bad table either.

Thanks for your advice! I'm glad that I'll be able to give it a new lease on life for relatively little. Since I'm so dissatisfied with the AT that I'll most definitely take advantage of this unexpected opportunity. Having a few people saying the same thing helps my confidence in spending a little on upgrades to the Technics, so I really appreciate your response. I can't wait to get that thing up and running again!

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,367 of 3,585
Please go to the http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-q200.shtml

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-q2.shtml

You will have to register with vinylengine in order to be able to download user and SERVICE manuals. Although only service manual for the SL-Q2 is provided, they should be very similar if not completely equal in wiring. Being a newbie, leave the wires that run trough the tonearm well alone - but anything that goes from there to the outside world should be replaced. I have no clue which reasonably priced low capacitace cable is available in the moon orbit, so you will have to do your own homework. You can be sure there will be no shortage of snake oil cable salesman trying to convience you to spend at least $500 on a piece of wire - tell them that spending say $ 20 ( + replacement/repair fee) is ENOUGH.

Mogami 3106 stereo microphone cable ( + ground wire ) http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/stereo/

IS BETTER than most "audiophile" woodoo for phono use - Van den Hul does make a better version of this, D501 and D502, you can even opt for a silver conductor version.  Getting either is a bit tricky - but well worth the effort. You will see how "fun" it is to shop for cable - without paying trough the nose for it in the process. There are markup artist capable of offering one meter of 3106 terminated one way or another ( you need RCAs on one end and pigtails on another   - no way you are going to get this...) at over $ 100 - so shop around until you get decent price from a pro audio shop. Then either solder the cable yourself or have it soldered by someone that appreciates phono gear and will know what to do.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2,368 of 3,585

In moon orbit, I have to pay an arm and a leg and my firstborn son to get anything. Shipping's a drag out here.

I'm reasonably confident in my soldering skills, so when I procure some suitable cabling I will DIY it. Thanks for the tips!

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,369 of 3,585
Alright next question. Phono stage. Any recommendations to pair with the 1200mk2? Looking for $300 or less range, temporary fix as i'm planning to pick up an integrated with a phono stage later this year.

The intro phono models i see around are the rega, nad, project, music halls. Whos got strong opinions on any of these:)

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,370 of 3,585
Alright next question. Phono stage. Any recommendations to pair with the 1200mk2? Looking for $300 or less range, temporary fix as i'm planning to pick up an integrated with a phono stage later this year.

The intro phono models i see around are the rega, nad, project, music halls. Whos got strong opinions on any of these:)

For temporary fix, TC 750 for MM cartridges is great http://www.ebay.com/itm/TC-750-Phono-Preamp-85dB-S-N-Black-finish-version-/400085700506?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item5d26f74f9a It is offered under many names and by many sellers. 

For MM and MC, arcorob has recommended a "DJ" phono stage that does look VERY promising - for about the same kind of money.  The name escapes my mind at the moment, please see "a couple" posts back - a month or two back. 

Integrated amp with good phono? Possible, but it has to be either a very good vintage model or an even better current one - and that is $$$. 

I bought a TC 750 out of curiosity/as a joke - but that minuscule thing is ANYTHING but a toy.  It gives options listed by you a good run for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back